Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #586
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
That's what shelves and the search feature are for.
No, because to create a "shelf" I have to add each of the hundreds of files separately
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #587
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksiflhjla8 View Post
No, because to create a "shelf" I have to add each of the hundreds of files separately
If you send books through Calibre to your reader, the shelves will be created for you automatically for however you set it. I have mine set to create a shelf based on tags and series name.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #588
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I don't know why I should have to use Calibre for copying files to my reader. It doesn't work properly anyway.

And the shelves don't have a tree structure, so I will end up with an endless list of shelves ...
Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #589
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I don't know why I should have to use Calibre for copying files to my reader. It doesn't work properly anyway.
How? If there is a bug, please report it so it can be fixed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #590
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur

I only see the main memory files. I have not investigated because it is a PITA to use it.
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #591
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I don't use Calibre, either - I just load my books in manageable batches and assign shelves as part of that process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksiflhjla8
And the shelves don't have a tree structure, so I will end up with an endless list of shelves ...
I'd like to see nested shelves, too. Trouble is, there's going to be a limit somewhere, and it's always going to be less than what some of us really want. That's life, though; we do what we can with what we have.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #592
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Something tells me that nested shelves would need a total rethink of how they are currently implemented.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #593
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur

The simplest thing would be to add a file browser with directories
Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #594
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No it would not. The entire Kobo infrastructure is based around retrieving the books on the device, the location in the books, the metadata, etc from the database that is updated when a book is added to the device.

Browsing a file system and selecting a book would require major MAJOR changes to the entire Kobo infrastructure.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #595
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The simplest thing would be to add a file browser with directories
Some makers have ereaders dealing with directories, some makers don't.
This seems to be an important feature for you, so maybe users can point you to those ereaders better suited for your needs next time you'll be buying one.
For instance, I know for sure that the Cybook Odyssey and the Odyssey frontlight HD from Bookeen do behave that way.
Sony and Kobo ereaders don't.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #596
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
The port of the koreader software, does have directory support.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203622

It's not perfectly implemented yet, but works pretty well for all kobos with the exception of the aura.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #597
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Browsing a file system and selecting a book would require major MAJOR changes to the entire Kobo infrastructure.
No. Like the "alpabetical" and "last read" list you just would have to list a number of files. This can be done in very few lines of code.

@samhy: Did you want to make a point, or just say: It it as it is? Is this the "feature request thread" or not?

Last edited by ksiflhjla8; 05-15-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #598
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Apart from file system browsing, allowing sub directories in the "Digital Editions" directory would makes it look much organized and less messy as it is now.
As far as I know Kobo devices are the onlo who can't.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #599
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Apart from file system browsing, allowing sub directories in the "Digital Editions" directory would makes it look much organized and less messy as it is now.
I'm not sure what you mean here. My "Digital Editions" directory has two subdirectories: Annotations and Manifest. The contents of those match the directory structure of where the epubs and PDFs are stored.

What am I missing?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:34 AM   #600
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kobo Glo
PLEASE... add a feature to select if i want to view the total pages (where you want) in Kepubs... Please...

and PLEASE... make notes in epubs USABLE. The Kepub way for notes is PERFECT (well... not compatible with gamebooks with jumps)
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo