Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
DTY
DTY began at the beginning.

Device: Thinkpad X41 Tablet, Acer Iconia Tab A500Android Tablet
Back to square one.

Hello Peoples,

Going to free flow some words about my e-reader situation, feel free to jump right in.

I'm not happy with the current group of readers I have, I'm looking for a less than 2 lb., 7" or greater color touch screen device with built in WiFi, the ability to play video and music, longer battery life than 5 hours; that's not an Apple or HP product nor cost more than $600 including case.

I currently have:
IBM X41 Thinkpad Tablet
7" Eken Android device
Sony 650 with lighted cover.

The Android device is promising but it's either the OS isn't ready for the tablet or the hardware isn't meant for the OS, or both. I like the Sony 650, but after a week of use I can't get over the lack of back lighting, color and connectivity.

I use my Thinkpad Tablet as my "Go To" device but it has flaws. The OS isn't really Tablet ready (WinXP Tablet) nor is the screen since you have to use a touch pen, (although the pen works great for taking and adding notes to documents.) The battery life is terrible; if I'm just reading with the radio (WiFi and or Bluetooth) off, contrast reduced I'll get just shy of 3 hours, anything else on less than 2 (this is with the 8 cell battery). It weighs over 4 lb.s and the fan blows noisy. Other than that I love it, in fact out of all the tablets I've owned it's hands down the best. I could put Win7 on it but the hardware is on the edge of working with. I could upgrade to a recent vers. of Thinkpad tablet but that would be a bit pricey and I'd still have the battery time and weight problems as well as a device with an OS not made for a tablet.

So, I'm going to return the Sony, give away or sell the Eken and upgrade the X41 to Win7 and buy another 8 cell battery. Or should I take a look again at the "upcoming" devices. What say you?

Regards,
DTY
DTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In the short term the Thinkpad upgrade maybe your best bet. I was hoping for the WiFi Samsung Galaxy Tab ($500, without case), but the latest reports suggest it won't be available until next year. This is the first "serious" Android tablet. If the WiFi Tab is delayed until after Christmas, then it will have many competitors and it will start to look stale. This is an argument for not buying the Tab today even if was available, but I like Samsung products and I think the Tab probably is "good enough".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
You might want to look at the Archos 70 or 101. I personally had the same requirements as you and I went with the nook color.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
DTY
DTY began at the beginning.

Device: Thinkpad X41 Tablet, Acer Iconia Tab A500Android Tablet
I thought about the Galaxy Tab but it's a bit overpriced for what it is. The Eken was a sort of proof of Concept for an Android Tablet; showing the OS works more or less and at a relatively cheap cost. I grant the Galaxy is far more "polished" but it's not 4 or 5 times the cost polished.

Now the Color nook looks promising, I'll look forward to some hands on reviews in 13 days. Looks like they're not shipping to Canada .

Last edited by DTY; 11-05-2010 at 03:29 PM.
DTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If the Eken seemed close, keep an eye on the reviews on the Pocketbook IQ which should hit consumers'/reviewers' in the next week or so. The price is good. It is *supposed* to come with a full load of the standard Pocketbook ebook software, which is pretty good.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTY View Post
Hello Peoples,

Going to free flow some words about my e-reader situation, feel free to jump right in.

I'm not happy with the current group of readers I have, I'm looking for a less than 2 lb., 7" or greater color touch screen device with built in WiFi, the ability to play video and music, longer battery life than 5 hours; that's not an Apple or HP product nor cost more than $600 including case.
You might need to define your need a bit more. You want a color touch screen? You do mention video, so I assume that is your primary reason for color? How do you plan to get video into the machine? The source/type of video may affect the O/S and hardware. Or, is there another reason you want color?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, the best tablet right now is the iPad. And since you do not like the 650's eink screen, you will not like any eink based reader.

Right now, Android tablets are just jacking you around. Wait until there is a proper version of Android for the tablet. Without Android Marketplace access, you may as well have a paperweight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote