Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #46
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid I still think you have it back to front. It's the authors who offer the restrictive contracts to the publishers, not vice versa. A world-wide publisher such as, say, Penguin, would like nothing better than to acquire world-wide rights to a book, but very often the author holds out for, say, separate UK and US rights because they can make more money that way.
The average author writes their own contract? I honestly don't know, but that's not what I would have guessed.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
According to Harry?... probably the customer's.
The customer's? Sorry, Shaggy, I don't follow you. Can you elaborate?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #48
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The customer's? Sorry, Shaggy, I don't follow you. Can you elaborate?
Just a poor attempt at humor.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The average author writes their own contract? I honestly don't know, but that's not what I would have guessed.
No; the author (or rather, their agent) attempts (naturally enough) to maximise the income from a book by offering the rights to the book to different publishers in different countries. Two contracts means, for example, two advances. Hence the extremely common situation of different British and American publishers for the same book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Being a free market does not justify the violation of consumer rights.
Which rights are being violated?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #51
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which rights are being violated?
Are you serious?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #52
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
The same is true of the "logic" used by some on here to "justify" current industry practices.
True dat.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #53
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The only justification the industry needs is - "it's a free market and they can do as they wish". It's their product and no one forces the consumer to buy.

To buy or not to buy = to enable or not to enable. I choose not to buy.
Same here. I refuse to buy books with DRM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #54
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Bottom line, we can't rationalize away piracy. The only thing that can be done is to make piracy undesirable, so people won't want to be bothered doing it in significant numbers. And the best way to do that is to make products available in an easy and reasonable package, so people won't think twice about just buying them.
That's pretty much what Amazon have done with their Kindle. They made it easy to buy (no computer needed, ready to read within a few seconds of bying), at the sort of prices that make it pointless spending time looking for free copies (at least for the publishers who understand the problem ...).

JA Konrath did an experiment on piracy a few months ago, he said it didn't affect his Kindle sales in any way. I think the reason for that is more to do with Amazon than anything else.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #55
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
This is an excellent point which doesn't bubble to the surface very often...
This is a first. I agree with Sensual Poet!

I buy my books based on price. If it's priced more then $9.99 I'll go get it for free. Period.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #56
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
An Aussie iPad user PoV: we were all delighted over here when iBooks was available to us for our iPads. When my iPad arrived, the second thing I did after setup of email etc was to download the iBooks app. Then, I visited the iBooks store, looking for stuff to buy. All I could get was free books. The old classics. Stuff I can get from Project Gutenberg and other sources. My iPad arrived in July... and guess what... here we are in October and we still do not have access to the same bookstore that's available in the US.

Geographical restrictions, stubborn publishers: they are both feeding the piracy "industry". And, like others have noted: I won't buy something thats DRM'd and I won't buy it if its as expensive or nearly as expensive as a paper copy. I use Stanza now, I get what I want from "other sources" (including Baen, fictionwise and Munseys)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 10-15-2010 at 06:09 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #57
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
This might shock you, but they already understand that, but they're dead set on absolutely NOT allowing that in any way. It's the same thing that the music industry went through in the beginning, and sadly enough, the publishing industry will be forced to suffer through the same things as well, because despite all the lessons learned by the industries that are or have already gone through these transitions, they will not make the changes they need to adapt to the changing market until absolutely forced to, instead choosing legal means by which to stall the market until the absolute last minute, and then manage the changeover in their favor when it finally happens. Overall it's a managed market shift disguised as a impending disaster.
Ya know what, I hope piracy goes through the roof! To jerk their customers around like this just because THEY don't WANT to change is just plain wrong.

I always try to do the right thing, but if these businesses are intent on doing the wrong thing just so that they can drag their heels, then screw them.

Cause and effect. I will adjust my behavior to match the behavior of these businesses.

Last edited by cfrizz; 10-15-2010 at 07:00 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #58
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Steven Lake is right: the publishers will wait until money is running out of their pockets before they'll change. Do you think Universal & Fox launched Hulu because they desperately wanted to convenience their viewers who'd missed shows on the air? Hellz no! They did it to compete with YouTube, where their product was being posted without their consent, and with no money coming into their pockets.

The publishers will follow the music & tv industry model: wait until it's obvious that consumers will find their digital products without their consent, then belatedly offer their wares in the digital format.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #59
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
I'm afraid I still think you have it back to front. It's the authors who offer the restrictive contracts to the publishers, not vice versa. A world-wide publisher such as, say, Penguin, would like nothing better than to acquire world-wide rights to a book, but very often the author holds out for, say, separate UK and US rights because they can make more money that way.
How would that be right? I am involved in writing and maintaining engineering contracts and it is the contractor that agrees to conditions set in an offered contract not the other way around.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #60
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I take issue with the fact that the filetypes are so branded. I don't have to have a Sony mp3 player to play Sony mp3's... why should I need a Sony reader to read Sony ebooks? (And Amazon and Nook, etc.) At some point this process needs to become painless for the consumer.
Yup, and it has been made easy. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
That's pretty much what Amazon have done with their Kindle. They made it easy to buy (no computer needed, ready to read within a few seconds of bying), at the sort of prices that make it pointless spending time looking for free copies.
This is one of the main reasons it is difficult to get a ground swell of support for dropping DRM ... because for most customers, in fact, it doesn't get in the way. The most common "glitch" is "I can't lend the file" but the reality is you can lend the Kindle in exactly the same you you'd loan the paperback.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote