Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
iLiad Reflash from Compact Flash (aka Unbrick) available to all!

To all users who have wanted to install 3rd party packages, but were afraid to do so for fear of bricking their iLiad's, your day has come.

Today, all users who request the SHELL hack, will be proved with the ability to reflash (aka unbrick) their iLiad's in case of a problem. If you've requested the shell hack in the past, you will need to request it again here: https://myirex.irexnet.com/user.php/developer connect to IDS. It will download a small update to enable the unbricking ability.

You can find further documentation here: http://developer.irexnet.com/reflash-from-cf

Let the open development begin!
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Woohoo!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Finally!

Now..anyone planning to do some battery-life tuning?

CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
dmw
dmw began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad/Palm TX
Question

I'm trying out the reflashing support because I want to use the more integrated fbreader installation. I didn't want to risk bricking my iliad before.

Anyway, I followed the instructions, but I'm not sure anything happened. Is there any indication that the reflashing is taking place? It looked like a normal boot to me.
dmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

If you want to test if it works, without actually reflashing...

Power off your iLiad. Remove the compact flash card if inserted. Hold down the IDS button, and power it on. Keep holding the button for 5 seconds. Then let go. My iLiad flashes a white screen, then reboots and starts normally. If you don't have the reflash script, it should just start normally.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
alaya129
alaya129 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/Axim X50V
Great !
alaya129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #7
dmw
dmw began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad/Palm TX
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
If you want to test if it works, without actually reflashing...
Thanks for the advice. It doesn't seem to be working for me. You wrote that this should work for those who have requested the "shell hack". Is this different from the request for developer access? I've got mxrvt installed, and I've been able to install and run fbreader. Is there something else I need to do? I tried reconnecting to IDS to see if maybe the reflashing support didn't download the first time. Can you think of anything I might be missing?

Thanks
dmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:32 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I connected to iDS last night, but it didn't say that it had downloaded anything - it didn't reboot or anything. I have previously requested (and got) the Shell access update. Perhaps it needs to be re-requested?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 AM   #9
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I connected to iDS last night, but it didn't say that it had downloaded anything - it didn't reboot or anything. I have previously requested (and got) the Shell access update. Perhaps it needs to be re-requested?
ditto here... ?
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:09 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
You will have to request the shell acces again from myirex after each reflash and each update and synch again with iDs.

Everyone with shell acces will have to request it again, to receive the reflash tool aswell.

https://myirex.irexnet.com/user.php/developer

Last edited by tribble; 08-10-2007 at 03:10 AM. Reason: added link
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:13 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks Tribble - I'll try that this evening.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Has anyone been able to get it to work after re-requesting the package?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I re-requested the package and now the "test" you described works, so it would seem that my Iliad is now un-brickable.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hehe, isnt it a great feeling to have an almost unbrickable iLiad?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

It's correct that it's "almost" unbrickable. There are a few things you do not want to mess with, mostly the boot area. But since this is in a part of the system that is not normally user accessable, you shouldn't have to worry.