Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #766
latrodectus17
latrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
hello,

I usually read standard scientific articles. I am attaching one.

Thank you for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ecol.pdf (3.14 MB, 246 views)
latrodectus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #767
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by latrodectus17 View Post
I usually read standard scientific articles. I am attaching one.
So you want to fit that on letter sized pages, but magnified, or with smaller margins? I'm not quite sure what you want. Did you try setting the width and height of your device to a letter sized page (upper left of GUI in Windows version)? Then you could try the "fit width" mode or the "2 column" mode (also upper left) and see how you like the results.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #768
latrodectus17
latrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlatrodectus17 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
So you want to fit that on letter sized pages, but magnified, or with smaller margins? I'm not quite sure what you want. Did you try setting the width and height of your device to a letter sized page (upper left of GUI in Windows version)? Then you could try the "fit width" mode or the "2 column" mode (also upper left) and see how you like the results.
yeah, I have played with some settings with no luck yet, but I am not very tech savvy.

Basically, what I want to do is to save paper when printing pdf scientific papers. No need for magnification (and certainly I do not want smaller fonts either!), but I could do without margins, page numbers, headers and footers, etc. I don't mind if the result is 1 or 2 columns, but I feel 1 column saves space.

thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #769
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yeah, I have played with some settings with no luck yet, but I am not very tech savvy.

Basically, what I want to do is to save paper when printing pdf scientific papers. No need for magnification (and certainly I do not want smaller fonts either!), but I could do without margins, page numbers, headers and footers, etc. I don't mind if the result is 1 or 2 columns, but I feel 1 column saves space.
So you're looking to re-flow each of the two columns into one wide column? I.e. unwrap the text in the columns? That's an unusual request, but possible. I should have a chance to experiment with some options tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #770
latrodectus17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
So you're looking to re-flow each of the two columns into one wide column? I.e. unwrap the text in the columns? That's an unusual request, but possible. I should have a chance to experiment with some options tomorrow.
I think that will do just fine. Alternatively, you could keep both columns, but re-flow to use the whole page, no margins. I do not know which configuration would be more page space-efficient.

But yes, that is my unusual request! Thank you for your assistance!
Old 03-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #771
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I think that will do just fine. Alternatively, you could keep both columns, but re-flow to use the whole page, no margins. I do not know which configuration would be more page space-efficient.

This is kind of what you want. Command-line options:

k2pdfopt -wrap+ -w 8.5in -h 11in -ml .4 -mr .4 -mt .8 -mb .7 -fc- -bp-- ecol.pdf

The tables get messed up, and the references at the end do not unwrap because of the way they are indented, but it does take up fewer pages of hardcopy this way. Not sure it's worth it, though.

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-22-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #772
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:

Alternatively, you could try this to generate 4.25 inch x 11 inch pages and try to print them "2-up" (side by side) or use another program to piece them together side by side on a 8.5 x 11 inch page.

k2pdfopt -mode 2col -w 4.25in -h 11in -ml .4 -mr .4 -mt .8 -mb .7 -fc- -bp-- ecol.pdf

GUI form:

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-22-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #773
latrodectus17

I don't care much for the references, I usually don't print them anyway. But the tables and figures are important.

Your second suggestion handles most tables and figures better, but the text font size was a bit smaller. I am not sure it is worth either, but I appreciate your assistance.

Thank you very much
Old 03-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #774
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I don't care much for the references, I usually don't print them anyway. But the tables and figures are important.

Your second suggestion handles most tables and figures better, but the text font size was a bit smaller...
Okay, one more example (I'm having too much fun). If you use the settings below, where I've turned off native mode output (and used a slightly narrower column), this should prevent any of the text from getting smaller. I then converted it to 2-up portrait mode using this command in jpdftweak:

jpdftweak -i ecol_k2opt.pdf -scale 612,792 -shuffle "2:!+1N1-25%%+0%%,+2N1+25%%+0%%" -o ecol_2up.pdf

I've attached the result. It gets you from 8 to 5 pages. Not terrible.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf ecol_2up.pdf (2.66 MB, 218 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-22-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #775
latrodectus17

Hey, that was amazing! You did it!

Thank you very much, now your program can also be used to reduce paper consumption!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #776
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Hey, that was amazing! You did it!

Thank you very much, now your program can also be used to reduce paper consumption !
Here is how to reduce ink consumption too.

Teen to government: Change your typeface, save millions
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/27/li...amond-schools/

and here how to get rid of both paper and ink

Sony unveils 13.3 "digital paper tablet
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26818112

Last edited by markom; 03-31-2014 at 01:23 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #777
latrodectus17

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Here is how to reduce ink consumption too.

Teen to government: Change your typeface, save millions
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/27/li...amond-schools/

and here how to get rid of both paper and ink

Sony unveils 13.3 "digital paper tablet
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26818112
Thank you! Very interesting piece that of the font types.

The e-reader seems very nice, but too pricey for me right now!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #778
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
does this support right to left languages?
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:24 AM   #779
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
does this support right to left languages?
@user743 -- Yes, but you have to explicitly tell it. See my right-to-left help page.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #780
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
"commentary" support?

Will it detect surrounding text, after the centered text ( - main content). in a page with three columns, with the outer columns rapping around the center column. like this:
Code:
########    ########
########    ########
####            ####
####  ########  ####
####  ########  ####
####  ########  ####
####  ########  ####
####  ########  ####
####  ########  ####
####            ####
########    ########

Last edited by user743; 04-18-2014 at 08:52 AM.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools