Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #76
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I found that taking a picture of a PW screen is difficult. Meaning, depending upon the camera you use, a good screen can still look blotchy when you post here.

All that matters is that you are happy with the PW you received. I am very happy with mine.
This is true! The brighter the setting on the PW the camera becomes confused. And I thought that trying to capture the tint of eInk reader was hard! Getting the camera to show the whiteness of the PW is tough.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #77
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I like 10. 10 is about the max I'd set it to in broad day light.
But if I'm reading in a pitch black bedroom, even setting 1 is just too bright for comfort, once the eyes get used to the darkness.
If I open the curtains, and some ray of a street light enters the bedroom, setting 1 is good enough for me.
In a dim candle light dinner - style restaurant, I can clearly see when the device is on setting 1, or off.
The screen becomes somewhat blue-er.

For me a setting like '0.75' would have been awesome.

Anyway, I generally don't read with the light, turn it to 1 all the time. Eventhough it looks very nice on 10, during the day, it's just wasting the battery, because the screen is perfectly readable in day light without the backlight.
In fact, with setting 1, I never have to worry about being able to see the text, as in the dark the backlight is enough, and in the light, the environment light is enough to read!

One thing I do know, is that the screen looks nicest at a bright setting. However at that setting, it's not healthy to read.

I want to repeat myself in my previous statement concerning LCD screens, and the same applies here.
Focus your eyes above the reader, look in the distance, and have the reader in the edge (corner) of your eye, in such a way that you still see the reader, but can't really read the text anymore, and your focus is not on the reader.
Now adjust the brightness to blend in with your environment (too bright, and the reader will appear as a white square in your vision, too dark, and it will appear as a grey or black square in your vision).
Once you have found the light intensity of the reader, to be the same output as the environment around you, add between '0' to '1' steps of light, but no more than 4 steps of light on the device.

When done, you have set up the reader to be of most comfort for you to read.
In darker environments the light should be lowered, in brighter environments, the light reflection of the environment should make the screen more bright automatically; though you can still compensate by adding a tad more light with the backlight as you desire, though generally anything above weak light inside a house has enough lumen, to ignore the backlight of the device...
(yeah, I'm gonna keep on calling it backlight, since a speaker is not a speaker but a magnetic membrane loudspeaker (or something), an LP is not always Long Play, a video is not always a VCR casette, and a projector is not always a picture projector, but sometimes also a movie or computer projector, and thus, a light shining on the background of a screen I find it to be a backlight).

Last edited by ProDigit; 01-06-2013 at 04:02 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #78
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
It appears to me that you inconsistently sometimes refer to device level (0-255) and sometimes to setting level (0-24). So to reduce confusion, all my levels in the reply refer to setting level (0-24). So level 0 here means that the light is turned on at its lowest possible setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I like 10. 10 is about the max I'd set it to in broad day light.
But if I'm reading in a pitch black bedroom, even setting 1 is just too bright for comfort, once the eyes get used to the darkness.
If I open the curtains, and some ray of a street light enters the bedroom, setting 1 is good enough for me.
In a dim candle light dinner - style restaurant, I can clearly see when the device is on setting 1, or off.
The screen becomes somewhat blue-er.

For me a setting like '0.75' would have been awesome.
It is much more likely that setting 0 of the frontlight is too bright for your comfort in total darkness, because you are in total darkness. Not because the frontlight is too bright. If you are trying to convince anybody that in total darkness and frontlight set to 0 the PW appears white to you, then you are fooling nobody. There is a simple way to change the frontlight to the a lower than level 0 setting you want (0.75 on the scale of 0-255?): just put sunglasses on . Then you probably want to increase the setting to 1 though. When having frontlight set to 0 and having sunglasses on, you are cannibalizing contrast and with it sharpness (perceived) of the text. Depends on the strength of your sunglasses though.
Quote:
Anyway, I generally don't read with the light, turn it to 1 all the time. Eventhough it looks very nice on 10, during the day, it's just wasting the battery, because the screen is perfectly readable in day light without the backlight.
In fact, with setting 1, I never have to worry about being able to see the text, as in the dark the backlight is enough, and in the light, the environment light is enough to read!

One thing I do know, is that the screen looks nicest at a bright setting. However at that setting, it's not healthy to read.
The LEDs are not making that much of a difference to overall battery life if set to low settings. Low for power consumption meaning here settings 0-10, because of the logarithmic scale. Sure enough, the biggest relative difference in battery drag would be from setting the frontlight either to level 0 or 1 - mind you, that is for any two levels only one level apart. At 1 the LEDs roughly should use twice as much energy when compared to 0. Does that mean you get twice as much battery life out of your PW? Hardly, I doubt it would make a noticeable difference even in a labratory settings. How much more battery life are you getting when using level 0 compared to 10? If the difference is about 5% than it is not really worth bothering, unless you are an accountant in real life and love to count peanuts all day long (no pun intended, I apologize to any accountants). Even at a high estimate of plus or minus 10% is not that noticeable.

Quote:
I want to repeat myself in my previous statement concerning LCD screens, and the same applies here.
Focus your eyes above the reader, look in the distance, and have the reader in the edge (corner) of your eye, in such a way that you still see the reader, but can't really read the text anymore, and your focus is not on the reader.
Now adjust the brightness to blend in with your environment (too bright, and the reader will appear as a white square in your vision, too dark, and it will appear as a grey or black square in your vision).
Once you have found the light intensity of the reader, to be the same output as the environment around you, add between '0' to '1' steps of light, but no more than 4 steps of light on the device.

When done, you have set up the reader to be of most comfort for you to read.
In darker environments the light should be lowered, in brighter environments, the light reflection of the environment should make the screen more bright automatically; though you can still compensate by adding a tad more light with the backlight as you desire, though generally anything above weak light inside a house has enough lumen, to ignore the backlight of the device...
(yeah, I'm gonna keep on calling it backlight, since a speaker is not a speaker but a magnetic membrane loudspeaker (or something), an LP is not always Long Play, a video is not always a VCR casette, and a projector is not always a picture projector, but sometimes also a movie or computer projector, and thus, a light shining on the background of a screen I find it to be a backlight).
Yes, I think everybody noticed that you like to repeat yourself. And as long as you keep calling the light on the PW a backlight, you will never believe that a backlit LCD is a fundamental different beast. You would be surprised how similar a frontlit passive matrix black and white LCD screen looks compared to eink. And I agree with you, if a light shines on the background of a screen, then we can safely say backlight. By that theory you can also never have a backlit eink screen. An eink screen is opaque. If it was translucent (let alone partially transparent), then you would not be able to see much of a difference between black and white.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #79
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just received my new Paperwhite at the end of last week, and it took me two days to get used to it. Some initial thoughts:

--I really liked how the Kindle Keyboard managed collections. When sorting by collections, they sorted by most recently accessed collection on the main screen. I've had to make the move away from collections with the PW and I didn't like that at first. It sorts collections alphabetically. No worries, just not a big fan of this.
--The light's incredible. I thought setting it to zero = turning it off. There's still a bit of light at zero, and I think that's fine. Very bright, very even, very clean. I tend to read at 24 in full light, and 6 in no light. I tried reading at 0 in full light, but the clarity is just so nice at 24 that I can't go back easily.
--The touch screen took some getting used to, but I love the touch-screen keyboard. Very smooth, a bit slow (e-ink, after all), but very good.
--I love the size, and I have it in the new cover, and it's a perfect combo.

TL;DR: I like the PW a lot; I don't like the change to the collection sorting method.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #80
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something nice,
There are some touchscreen pens (metal pen, rubber tip) that actually work on the screen! Is great for regular tablets,because of fingerprints, but works fine too on the PW!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #81
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
--The touch screen took some getting used to, but I love the touch-screen keyboard. Very smooth, a bit slow (e-ink, after all), but very good.
Just a quick note on the keyboard: Only the letters showing on the screen is slow. But you can type as fast as you want on it. In fact, if you type fast enough, then the suggestions do not even show up on the screen. Only if you require visual feedback on every letter you type, then you have to slow down and wait for the eink.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #82
ProDigit
Karmaniac

You could actually type faster than the touchscreen can register.