Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
OMG, THANK you, JSWolf!

I never knew Mobireader can convert epub. Now I can tinker with css in Calibre and get nice mobi in seconds.
Although Mobi Reader can convert ePubs, Mobi Creator gives you much more control over the process. I'd suggest using Mobi Creator rather than Mobi Reader.

(Well, to be honest, I'd recommend using Calibre, but you seem to have ruled that out!)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #17
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I would use Creator, but can't see the option to convert ePub? Publisher edition v4.2 build 41.

Calibre is still too complicated for me. Few times I tried it, I did not like the result very much. Someday I'll be back asking for perfect settings, but not before I feel comfortable with html.

Presently my workflow (in more complicated tags) goes like this:
-copy the part I want to change in html (and sometimes paste it to another txt file)
-change in np++
-save in np++
-build in creator
-check what happened in mobireader
-if i don't like it, 'undo' or change differently.
-save
-etc

I do not want to wait several seconds (with Calibre) just to choose pleasing color and size of the captions (for example). Also when I try something dubious, it's faster with Creator to make change in one or two places and only after checking change all the places.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
sarah_pnix
sarah_pnix began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm also experiencing the same problem as the OP. I'm converting epub to mobi using Calibre. I've done many books this way and never had a problem. In the debug folder, everything looks fine. It shows up fine in the Kindle Previewer app. But on the actual Kindle, some of the images display strangely, exactly as described. Here are photos so you can see what we're talking about.

Kindle screenshot:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38282222/screen_shot-19089.gif

Actual jpg:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38282222/Fig7-2_fmt.jpeg

I'm going to try converting my jpg images to png as John123 suggests.

Sarah
sarah_pnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
NYCourtney
eBook Producer
NYCourtney began at the beginning.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_pnix View Post
I'm also experiencing the same problem as the OP. I'm converting epub to mobi using Calibre. I've done many books this way and never had a problem. In the debug folder, everything looks fine. It shows up fine in the Kindle Previewer app. But on the actual Kindle, some of the images display strangely, exactly as described. Here are photos so you can see what we're talking about.

Kindle screenshot:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38282222/screen_shot-19089.gif

Actual jpg:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38282222/Fig7-2_fmt.jpeg

I'm going to try converting my jpg images to png as John123 suggests.

Sarah
This is a Kindle display problem, (obviously!) not a Calibre problem. If you go into Photoshop (File Menu>"Save for Web & Devices") and save all of your jpegs with this step it will completely solve your problem. Just do this as your last step before converting to .mobi in Calibre. You can just batch automate the entire "images" subfolder.
NYCourtney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, images, mobi