Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How to download the ereader apps

I just got one of the ~$100 android tablets. The main use for it is going to be as a remote control for my dvr. However, I am also still trying to pick which ereader device to buy. So I figured I would also use it as an ereader for now and try out the various stores and such with it at least since I see a number of places saying they have android apps available.

How do I get them though? I tried Amazon, Barnes and Nobels, Alkido, and Kobo so far. All of them say to get it from market place or to scan some bar code. Neither of these is an option for me. From what I gather the bar code scanning may just be a shortcut tot he market place anyway. I need the direct downloads for the .apk files (I think that is the right suffix). Seems odd no one is providing the direct download links. How do I find them?
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Your right in what you say here.

you need an APK file. a pay for version is unlikely to be available to download directly, but a lot of free or opensource versions will have apk files for direct downlaod - especially as people like you become more common.

type the name of your given program and "apk" into google, eg:

fbreader apk

gives This page for instance, links to the FBReader apk:-
http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ/

which is here http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ/FBReaderJ-0.7.8.apk

your device will probably need a file manager to allow you to "click" on the file to install it. I assume it has?

Anyhow, try the FBReader, I use it and it's fine

Jeff
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
I just got one of the ~$100 android tablets. The main use for it is going to be as a remote control for my dvr. However, I am also still trying to pick which ereader device to buy. So I figured I would also use it as an ereader for now and try out the various stores and such with it at least since I see a number of places saying they have android apps available.

How do I get them though? I tried Amazon, Barnes and Nobels, Alkido, and Kobo so far. All of them say to get it from market place or to scan some bar code. Neither of these is an option for me. From what I gather the bar code scanning may just be a shortcut tot he market place anyway. I need the direct downloads for the .apk files (I think that is the right suffix). Seems odd no one is providing the direct download links. How do I find them?
I couldn't find the nook app either, probably due to regional restrictions (Germany).
I've downloaded the app "bn.ereader_v2.2.apk" from here: http://m.box.net/view_shared/93t5vc7np8
Kindle app I did find in the market though. Selling "international Kindles" (as opposed to the still "US only" nook), this makes sense of course. I found the Kobo app as well in the market.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro10 View Post
your device will probably need a file manager to allow you to "click" on the file to install it. I assume it has?

Anyhow, try the FBReader, I use it and it's fine

Jeff
Thanks. I have a web browser, a file manager, and a package manager at least so should be able to install from that url.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I couldn't find the nook app either, probably due to regional restrictions (Germany).
I've downloaded the app "bn.ereader_v2.2.apk" from here: http://m.box.net/view_shared/93t5vc7np8
Kindle app I did find in the market though. Selling "international Kindles" (as opposed to the still "US only" nook), this makes sense of course. I found the Kobo app as well in the market.
Thanks also, found the kindle app also from that link. So this should give me a few to try out now at least.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Thanks. I have a web browser, a file manager, and a package manager.
you wil lbe fine with that, it just may take a bit more effort to find APK's

J
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Thanks. I have a web browser, a file manager, and a package manager at least so should be able to install from that url.

Thanks also, found the kindle app also from that link. So this should give me a few to try out now at least.
Glad it's working for you.
But the Kindle app should be available from the Android market anyway. Kindle is available "globally", so should be the app. At least I could find it from Germany without any problems. Same for the Kobo app. And you should try the TXTR app for DRMed ePUbs and PDFs.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
How do I get them though?
Since your device probably does not meet the Android Compatibility Definition requirement you probably will not be able to get downloads from the Android Market, but you can still use one of the alternative markets like SlideME. I just checked on SlideME and the Aldiko reader is available there.

http://slideme.org/sam
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
I just got one of the ~$100 android tablets. The main use for it is going to be as a remote control for my dvr. ... I need the direct downloads for the .apk files (I think that is the right suffix). Seems odd no one is providing the direct download links. How do I find them?
Well, there are some useful directions here already. SlideMe is certainly a good point to start and there are other alternative Markets sprouting up too. (Thanks for the link to m.box.net, mgmueller! K to you. )

If you want to try yet another reader, have a look at Moon+ Reader too.

If you are interested in other apps besides eBook Readers (I guess your question is answered) then also have a look at slatedroid.com, and at this thread from the forums at entrourageegde.com. People there are always on the lookout for good apps and apk.-links too.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
twobits
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Glad it's working for you.
But the Kindle app should be available from the Android market anyway. Kindle is available "globally", so should be the app. At least I could find it from Germany without any problems. Same for the Kobo app. And you should try the TXTR app for DRMed ePUbs and PDFs.
Yeah, I can't get things from the Google market though.

Txtr looks interesting, but can't track down the apk for it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Thanks, seems a few alternative markets, though most of them are missing the ereaders that are tied into booksellers it seems, for better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Well, there are some useful directions here already. SlideMe is certainly a good point to start and there are other alternative Markets sprouting up too. (Thanks for the link to m.box.net, mgmueller! K to you. )

If you want to try yet another reader, have a look at Moon+ Reader too.

If you are interested in other apps besides eBook Readers (I guess your question is answered) then also have a look at slatedroid.com, and at this thread from the forums at entrourageegde.com. People there are always on the lookout for good apps and apk.-links too.
Thanks, I am sure I will be trying a lot more apps, and probably some alternative firmware once I get the microSD card I ordered in.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
I loaded kobo and kindle apps for android onto my android tablet as well.
They work fine. I found the apps by going to slateroid and searching kindle. After wading through the options, I found a download site mentioned by one of the posters. Unfortunately I cannot remember right now where it was. When I find it I will post it.

john
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
Here are some ereader apk files. Still looking for Kobo.
http://files.rwbcs.net/?path=./android/apk_files/
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote