Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Talking can calibre creat a TOC by reading numerals as chapter marks

I have a rather long book in txt format and I don't want to go to the hassle of putting two # marks in from of each numbered chapter in order to use --markdown. I wonder if I could use xpath statement to detect numerals on a line by themselves as chapter marks. If so could someone tell me how to format them?
Thanks
P3aul (pronounced "Paul", the 3 is silent)
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Try enabling preprocessing under structure detection when you do the conversion. You'll also need to change the chapter detection xpath to look for \d+ instead of Chapter|Part, etc
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Can you tell me the exact location in pref to do this?
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
It's in the structure detection part of the conversion settings.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

You'll also need to change the chapter detection xpath. Change the default to this:
Code:
//h:h2[re:test(., "\d+", "i")]

Last edited by ldolse; 10-03-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
You'll also need to change the chapter detection xpath. Change the default to this:
Code:
//h:h2[re:test(., "\d+", "i")]
Now you confused me- doesn't that test for the presence of numerals inside an h2 tag pair?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
ldolse
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Now you confused me- doesn't that test for the presence of numerals inside an h2 tag pair?
That's exactly what it does. Preprocessing just wraps the numerals in h2 tags, it doesn't tell Calibre's chapter detection routines that those are actually chapters.

The default chapter detection xpath is:
Code:
//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']
So that won't match numeric chapter headings. The book would get page breaks inserted at the H2 tags (based on the insert page breaks before default setting), so in an epub for example you would have one split file per chapter, but there would be no TOC.

You could just change one part of the xpath - 'chapter|book|section|part\s+' to '\d+' or '.*', but I used the xpath wizard, which spit out the xpath I posted previously.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
That's exactly what it does. Preprocessing just wraps the numerals in h2 tags, it doesn't tell Calibre's chapter detection routines that those are actually chapters.
Ah. I missed the preprocessing part when thinking about it.