Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #31
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
For that particular forum, I would love to see people say hi, I'm in wherever, what is the best device for me.
If that were happening and working, this subject wouldn't be coming up over and over. Many many times people ask questions that could be answered quickly and readily if we knew their country. Instead we ask "what country do you live in?" Or more accurately, one person gives a response that's only appropriate to one country (usually the USA), another person asks "what country are you in?", someone else goes to the effort of answering their question multiple times with "if you are here x, if you are here y", others weigh in with questionably relevant answers; the OP only comes back a day or two later and as often as not doesn't answer the "where are you?" question, and on it goes.

It's not about the OP being of low intelligence or anything else insulting; it's about them not being aware that it's a relevant/necessary datum in order to receive high quality replies.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There have been too many times on MR where the answer given wasn't appropriate because the OPs question needed to have the location known.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #33
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If that were happening and working, this subject wouldn't be coming up over and over. Many many times people ask questions that could be answered quickly and readily if we knew their country. Instead we ask "what country do you live in?" Or more accurately, one person gives a response that's only appropriate to one country (usually the USA), another person asks "what country are you in?", someone else goes to the effort of answering their question multiple times with "if you are here x, if you are here y", others weigh in with questionably relevant answers; the OP only comes back a day or two later and as often as not doesn't answer the "where are you?" question, and on it goes.

It's not about the OP being of low intelligence or anything else insulting; it's about them not being aware that it's a relevant/necessary datum in order to receive high quality replies.
I said I would love to see my idea. I didn't say it was going to happen.

On the insulting part, I was specifically referring to one poster's suggestion.
Which you may not have found insulting but I did. Note: you and I are in two different countries. Heck, that suggestion may not have been insulting in parts of the US. It may depend on how one was raised. It is all on the reader.

In one forum, it would be nice to make first 6 of the serial number and firmware mandatory for questions.

Perhaps we could get a stickie on the proper way to ask a question in the buy forum.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I said I would love to see my idea. I didn't say it was going to happen.

On the insulting part, I was specifically referring to one poster's suggestion.
Which you may not have found insulting but I did. Note: you and I are in two different countries. Heck, that suggestion may not have been insulting in parts of the US. It may depend on how one was raised. It is all on the reader.

In one forum, it would be nice to make first 6 of the serial number and firmware mandatory for questions.

Perhaps we could get a stickie on the proper way to ask a question in the buy forum.

Oh please note: I can understand the reluctance of many posters to not want to put their location. Not everywhere is a democracy.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I don't know whether the forum software allows for changing the text "Location", but if it does, "Country" is the most useful piece of information (and rarely risky to divulge).

True.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I can't remember what the signup form looks like as it's been years since I joined. Maybe there should be an instruction next to the location blank that says something like "You are not required to enter your location. However, you may receive more useful responses to questions about equipment, stores, etc. if you provide your country".

I think this is an excellent suggestion, and could well encourage more people to provide their home country. I like the tone. I find it to be neither condescending nor imperative in tone, but rather helpful and informative.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #37
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:

An answer that isn't relevant to a specific poster's geographical area might still be useful to a lot of other people with the same question.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #38
ThatLibraryRat
ThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Frontlite Muse
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please make location mandatory. The problem is that a lot of people ask for help and some of the answers are specific to location. By knowing where someone is, it make helping out that much easier.

It would be really good if when someone was registering, that location has to be filled in to finish registering.
I don't want to give that information.

Because I can be constructive, some trails:
Your problem looks like you should create a form for help request, not make giving personal information compulsory. While it's nice of you to help so much you become frustrated by a repeat lack of pertinent info in the post your solution is pretty radical. If people want the help they'll use your form (get it pined at the top of the help sub forum?) or go back to you when you ask for complementary informations on their problems.

But, no, I won't be obligated in giving personal info.
ThatLibraryRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLibraryRat View Post
I don't want to give that information.

Because I can be constructive, some trails:
Your problem looks like you should create a form for help request, not make giving personal information compulsory. While it's nice of you to help so much you become frustrated by a repeat lack of pertinent info in the post your solution is pretty radical. If people want the help they'll use your form (get it pined at the top of the help sub forum?) or go back to you when you ask for complementary informations on their problems.

But, no, I won't be obligated in giving personal info.
Then I just hope you don't ever ask for help where the answer is depended on where you live.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #40
ThatLibraryRat
ThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Frontlite Muse
Hello,
Sorry for the novel length, my answer won't be a constructive addition to the thread only my personal opinion developed and not replying to you would be rude.

My point of view is that personal information should not be made mandatory on the net, even if you don't lock it to a country list and users can input whatever they want.
Firstly it's not welcoming nor in the spirit of open community. Also, I may be paranoid but we hear so much about strange use of our data, do you really think no one else will wonder what is it for? (And we are no bird to tag geographically to make studies of ereader repartition or whatever.)
Secondly even if you get your wish it's entirely up to the user to be truthful or not. If you don't trust us to be complete in our help queries, something we are being proactive and invested in the success of, why would you trust us unruly users too input the truth in a personal field when it's a line in a boring process?

I also think your request, for the reason stated, is overkill; maybe because of my sensibility to efficacy versus efficiency.
Imagining you get your wish. You will need the forum to change the account creation process (that can be arcane depending on the forum) for all new users and to put in a request system for the existent ones to add the information, with restricting access until completed.
You will lose potential new users because of the internet culture that is biased toward anonymity, keeping private informations private and freedom (as in, against arbitrary demands for private informations).
You will need all the communication you can for the second category, the users who have already an account. You are campaigning for a change and you will need to raise awareness about your cause and fend of your opposition. It will be like a political campaign, at the scale of this forum.
To me it looks really resources heavy. Especially for something that will be used only in the help sub-forum, won't touch more than the minority asking for help, that has a geographical condition to their issues solutions and that are sloppy in their demands by not checking if there is an help request form.

I am somewhat peeved by your answer that come passive-aggressive to me. Or overly condescending and pitying, but that's worse.
When I say I won't give personal information that give my localisation, I am not sulking like a child. I am showing you my line in the sand because I stand against your opinion on this point. I see that as a way to give you feedback on your request for the forum, maybe starting a collaboration between the two sides of the debate so you can find a way to have your information without having to repeat your localisation question to anyone that comes to you for help and the users who which for privacy can have their wish too. We are all users and equals, you are demanding to change a public space, can you please listen to me without being dismissive?
To answer you, if I ask for help and whoever is kind enough to point to me they need my localisation for their answer,can't I ask for them to point me the multi-country help guide for my problem (in case of a popular bug that I worded differently, so it didn't pop in the search result) or for sources to find the solution for myself if they can't craft an multi country answer that could help future users?

Also, you totally ignored my idea of a form. Couldn't you give me your opinion? A debate/discussion/ideas exchange would be nice.
That snub added to your perceived passive-aggressiveness is really weird. Especially coming from someone who present themselves as a good Samaritan tired to not be able to help effectively because of a repeated information omission.

Still smarting and trying to contribute.
ThatLibraryRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #41
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLibraryRat View Post
Hello,
Sorry for the novel length, my answer won't be a constructive addition to the thread only my personal opinion developed and not replying to you would be rude.

My point of view is that personal information should not be made mandatory on the net, even if you don't lock it to a country list and users can input whatever they want.
Firstly it's not welcoming nor in the spirit of open community. Also, I may be paranoid but we hear so much about strange use of our data, do you really think no one else will wonder what is it for? (And we are no bird to tag geographically to make studies of ereader repartition or whatever.)
Secondly even if you get your wish it's entirely up to the user to be truthful or not. If you don't trust us to be complete in our help queries, something we are being proactive and invested in the success of, why would you trust us unruly users too input the truth in a personal field when it's a line in a boring process?

I also think your request, for the reason stated, is overkill; maybe because of my sensibility to efficacy versus efficiency.
Imagining you get your wish. You will need the forum to change the account creation process (that can be arcane depending on the forum) for all new users and to put in a request system for the existent ones to add the information, with restricting access until completed.
You will lose potential new users because of the internet culture that is biased toward anonymity, keeping private informations private and freedom (as in, against arbitrary demands for private informations).
You will need all the communication you can for the second category, the users who have already an account. You are campaigning for a change and you will need to raise awareness about your cause and fend of your opposition. It will be like a political campaign, at the scale of this forum.
To me it looks really resources heavy. Especially for something that will be used only in the help sub-forum, won't touch more than the minority asking for help, that has a geographical condition to their issues solutions and that are sloppy in their demands by not checking if there is an help request form.

I am somewhat peeved by your answer that come passive-aggressive to me. Or overly condescending and pitying, but that's worse.
When I say I won't give personal information that give my localisation, I am not sulking like a child. I am showing you my line in the sand because I stand against your opinion on this point. I see that as a way to give you feedback on your request for the forum, maybe starting a collaboration between the two sides of the debate so you can find a way to have your information without having to repeat your localisation question to anyone that comes to you for help and the users who which for privacy can have their wish too. We are all users and equals, you are demanding to change a public space, can you please listen to me without being dismissive?
To answer you, if I ask for help and whoever is kind enough to point to me they need my localisation for their answer,can't I ask for them to point me the multi-country help guide for my problem (in case of a popular bug that I worded differently, so it didn't pop in the search result) or for sources to find the solution for myself if they can't craft an multi country answer that could help future users?

Also, you totally ignored my idea of a form. Couldn't you give me your opinion? A debate/discussion/ideas exchange would be nice.
That snub added to your perceived passive-aggressiveness is really weird. Especially coming from someone who present themselves as a good Samaritan tired to not be able to help effectively because of a repeated information omission.

Still smarting and trying to contribute.
I don't think you have to worry about him getting his wish.

As to his attitude, I think he is just going through menopause. He seems to be crankier than normal.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #42
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Knowing someone's country is useful not just in the help forum, but also in areas like book recommendation. There's no risk in putting your country in the field. I have my country and city. You can't find me here because I ALWAYS sign up to internet sites using a fake surname - even Facebook. The only exceptions to this are sites where I will be paying money, like Amazon.

I've found the following things irritating:

1. When someone doesn't put their country;

2. When they don't list their device;

3. If they don't notice either my country or device; I get fed up with being refered to Amazon US or asked which Kindle I use, when it's plain from the details beneath my avatar that I'm in the UK and have a PaperWhite 2.

Although new members are welcome and always needed, it is nevertheless a priviledge to be a member of MR, one which can be removed if rules are broken. Therefore, in order to obtain membership of this elite bunch of people, giving simple details such as country of residence should be no hardship.

Country, that's all, not your street and house number or postcode or phone number. And device if you have one. Then you can obtain lots of friendly advice from the peeps here, have access to the library, recommendations for books, hear the latest news in the ereader world, and much more. And all that is asked is your country of residence.

Not much to ask for so much return.

For those who are so scared of the internet that they won't even give their country, go and quiver in some quiet corner with a paperback.

For the rest: welcome:

(Maybe a poll is called for, perhaps in the General Discussion thread, or a separate banner poll. This would ask members if it should be made mandatory to give COUNTRY of residence when joining.)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #43
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Knowing someone's country is useful not just in the help forum, but also in areas like book recommendation. There's no risk in putting your country in the field. I have my country and city. You can't find me here because I ALWAYS sign up to internet sites using a fake surname - even Facebook. The only exceptions to this are sites where I will be paying money, like Amazon.

I've found the following things irritating:

1. When someone doesn't put their country;

2. When they don't list their device;

3. If they don't notice either my country or device; I get fed up with being refered to Amazon US or asked which Kindle I use, when it's plain from the details beneath my avatar that I'm in the UK and have a PaperWhite 2.

Although new members are welcome and always needed, it is nevertheless a priviledge to be a member of MR, one which can be removed if rules are broken. Therefore, in order to obtain membership of this elite bunch of people, giving simple details such as country of residence should be no hardship.

Country, that's all, not your street and house number or postcode or phone number. And device if you have one. Then you can obtain lots of friendly advice from the peeps here, have access to the library, recommendations for books, hear the latest news in the ereader world, and much more. And all that is asked is your country of residence.

Not much to ask for so much return.

For those who are so scared of the internet that they won't even give their country, go and quiver in some quiet corner with a paperback.

For the rest: welcome:

(Maybe a poll is called for, perhaps in the General Discussion thread, or a separate banner poll. This would ask members if it should be made mandatory to give COUNTRY of residence when joining.)
I saw Birmingham and thought you were in Alabama.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #44
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I saw UK and thought Ukraine

I rarely if ever give country specific advice, but if I see a non-English speaking country I'll read someone's post with that in mind and respond accordingly (no puns, wordplays, irony, slang, etc) and I'm more likely to post baby step screen images.

But I wouldn't make it mandatory, maybe a note somewhere of why one might want to supply it - probably via a link in the email one gets on registering.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A poll on this subject would serve no purpose. This is simply not a change that's being considered.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote