Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
stan999
stan999 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre Library: local vs. iCloud Drive vs. Dropbox? Help!!!

I've roamed all over calibre's threads and I cannot find a conclusive answer to this. I am not technically savvy and the slightest use of a technical term makes me easily confused. I have read somewhere on calibre's main page in the FAQ section that one should "not put your calibre library on a networked drive." This really had me worried on moving the main Calibre Library (the one sitting in the user name location). I apologize I advance if this is comes across as a dumb question but can I store Calibre library in iCloud Drive or Dropbox instead of sitting in my mac's local drive?
stan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Theoretically Yes - but heed the FAQ you've already read, and don't complain when it crashes or gets corrupted - which could be tomorrow or the year after next.

Seeing as by your own admission you're not technically savvy, my advice is "Don't Put Your Calibre Library on a Network Drive".

If you were technically savvy my advice would be "If You Put Your Calibre Library on a Network Drive Don't Expect Much Sympathy When it Goes Belly Up."

You can backup the library to a network drive, just don't do it when calibre is running.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-14-2019 at 11:52 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:58 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
like he said. keep the main library on a local drive
backup copy in cloud, or on usb stick or usb drive, or one of each.
keep the backup(s) up to date.
that's It
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote