Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-0.9.17 Released

Sigil-0.9.17

For the impatient, the installer files (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the Sigil Github Release page.

Sigil-0.9.17 is primarily a bug fix release for bugs that were uncovered after our port to QtWebEngine.

Bug Fixes:
  • fix missing python3 network certifications on macOS
  • do not apply named entities in Preserve Entities to epub3 epubs
  • fix build docs for macOS
  • prevent FlowTab destructor race crash when opening a new book (Linux, Mac, Windows)
  • fix suggestions for built-in en_US dictionary by adding "x" to the TRY list
  • fix plugins adding and deleting ncx under epub3
  • throw exception in plugins when epub2 tries to add or delete the ncx
  • fix bad Warning message about missing nav.xhtml file that was not missing
  • fix CodeView to Preview sync breakage due to minimize/restore
  • fix CodeView to Preview sync breakage due to attempting to load the Preview before it
    finished loading the last update
  • fix sigil_bs4 to work with latest python lxml 4.4.X in a backwards compatible manner
  • fix missing Preview to CodeView sync on Qt versions 5.9.X and 5.10.X
  • fix segfault on app close related to the PreviewWindow update timer firing at a bad time
  • fix CodeView to Preview syncing loss caused by spurious load finished signals
  • fix macOS specific bug that allowed multiple MainWindows to become tabs

New Features
  • add a python3 plugin module navprocessor.py for plugin devs
  • show Preview by default (tabified with TOC) for new installations of Sigil

Be aware that Sigil-0.9.17 no longer enforces the need for epub3 to have and support an NCX for the purposes of backward compatibility with epub2 reading systems. There are, however, built-in tools to allow users to add backward compatibility features such as the NCX to their epub3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check the Sigil Wiki for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.

Mac users should still download and install ActiveState's ActiveTcl Community Edition to utilize plugins that use Tk/Tcl GUIs. More here.

The latest Sigil user guide can always be downloaded from its own repository.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
On macOS, someone has reported a bug that loading an epub3 results in missing file warnings, which I thought was a bug that had been specifically fixed in this release.

So if you use macOS, please try loading a few known good epub3 and letting me know if you get any spurious warning about files missing in the manifest.

I simply can not recreate this on my own macOS machines.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
On macOS, someone has reported a bug that loading an epub3 results in missing file warnings, which I thought was a bug that had been specifically fixed in this release.

So if you use macOS, please try loading a few known good epub3 and letting me know if you get any spurious warning about files missing in the manifest.

I simply can not recreate this on my own macOS machines.
I've tested 8 epub3 files using Sigil 9.17 running on an Mojave 10.14.6 VM and so far no errors about files missing in the manifest.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Even the type of epub that triggered the bug in 0.9.16 (fixed with https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...517017fbc659d5) doesn't stump 0.9.17 on Windows or Linux. I've tried turning off Mend on open to see if I can trick the error message into showing, but can't get it to happen.

If the bug reporter is truly using 0.9.17, then it has to be either a MacOS thing (either a bug or something with their specific system), or it's just a different scenario that triggers that same spurious error message in a way we haven't duplicated yet.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-10-2019 at 07:26 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sigil-0.9.17 Released ...
DiapDealer! KevinH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... if you use macOS, please try loading a few known good epub3 and letting me know if you get any spurious warning about files missing in the manifest ...
I loaded over a dozen valid epub3 and they all loaded fine, no warning.

Then, just to be thorough, I loaded an epub3 with files missing in the manifest, and the warning appeared as expected.

= = = = =

While I was in testing mode, I tried 2 other quick tests, in case you're interested:

I did a clean install of the epubcheck plugin and it updated itself just fine on my Mac with the Python certificate fix. Thank you!

I did a clean install of Sigil and the Preview-by-default-in-new-installs fix worked perfectly. No smooshing!

I am running macOS 10.13.6

You guys are the best
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone for testing epub3 loading and reporting back. The reporter is using the latest Sigil version on a mac and reports it us happening with every epub tried. Since none of us are seeing anything like that, something must be different on the reporters machine in some way. Hopefully, the bug reporter will provide enough info to track this down.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thanks for reporting back that our bug fixes finally worked.

We appreciate all of the testing, reporting back, and bug reports.

They all help to improve Sigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
DiapDealer! KevinH!

I loaded over a dozen valid epub3 and they all loaded fine, no warning.

Then, just to be thorough, I loaded an epub3 with files missing in the manifest, and the warning appeared as expected.

= = = = =

While I was in testing mode, I tried 2 other quick tests, in case you're interested:

I did a clean install of the epubcheck plugin and it updated itself just fine on my Mac with the Python certificate fix. Thank you!

I did a clean install of Sigil and the Preview-by-default-in-new-installs fix worked perfectly. No smooshing!

I am running macOS 10.13.6

You guys are the best
Old 08-12-2019, 03:04 AM   #9
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I rarely start sigil from the command line, thus I wouldn't see this type of messages normally, but this time I did.

Code:
Debug: Javascript error:  QWebEnginePage::ErrorMessageLevel "Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined on line:1 Source:file:///tmp/Sigil-fgkcwC/OEBPS/Text/SVG_img2-962x1500.xhtml"
Line 1 is "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>", exactly as all other first lines in the .xhtml-files.

What is this?

(Qt 5.12.3, Linux Mint 19.1)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:25 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I rarely start sigil from the command line, thus I wouldn't see this type of messages normally, but this time I did.
1. What command line parameters did you use?
2. Do you get this error message for all epub files?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #11
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
1. What command line parameters did you use?
None, except the file name.

Quote:
2. Do you get this error message for all epub files?
No. Just tested about 15 or so, no messages at all.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Please ignore that message. It was generated by the javascript used internally after loading an xhtml page into Preview to find the current location. That $ refers to a jQuery javascript library that should always have been loaded before this javascript was run but for some reason, that does not always happen in the correct order. It appears to be a race of some sort. It is random and should not impact performance and can be safely ignored..

I have been trying to track it down and get it fixed for the last few releases but there is no easy way to test for the jquery library being fully loaded vs partially loaded that I can find.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #13
patrik
Guru

Ok. If it helps, I'm happy to send you the epub (made by me).
Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #14
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Thank you Sigil team
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If you can always reproduce it with that epub, then it would certainly help in tracking down why jQuery is not being loaded properly.

You can pm KevinH with a link, or if it public and not too big, you can pist it here.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Ok. If it helps, I'm happy to send you the epub (made by me).