Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Bookworms: How Do You Read So Many Books?

This question is aimed at those who read more than two books a week; how do you do it. I'm fascinated by youtubers who review so many books in a month and would like to know if they're reading in their sleep

Please don't mention speed reading. I know the principles, but don't like the practise. I spead-read when I was a student, because I had to, but feel that it detracts from the experience of a book.

So are you reading while asleep? On the loo? Every spare moment?
Please tell.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
This question is aimed at those who read more than two books a week; how do you do it. I'm fascinated by youtubers who review so many books in a month and would like to know if they're reading in their sleep

Please don't mention speed reading. I know the principles, but don't like the practise. I spead-read when I was a student, because I had to, but feel that it detracts from the experience of a book.

So are you reading while asleep? On the loo? Every spare moment?
Please tell.
Every spare moment. I always have a book with me. Always. If I have a minute anywhere, I read.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I don't watch television or other videos at all. I also listen to audiobooks when otherwise occupied (driving, walking etc.) and I count those as books read.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't watch television or other videos at all.
That was me some 10 and more years ago. I basically did nothing else in my free time but read. But these days I find I want to do other things too, not only read books every moment I can. So what if I read less books now than I did before? Reading should be a pleasure, not a contest who reads more. That's how I justify myself, anyway. I admit feeling a bit guilty sometimes that I don't read as much anymore. Life is just too short...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've read 37 books this year and we're 16 weeks into 2018, so I'm in your target audience.

I read at lunchtime (1/2 hour) I read before going to sleep (1/2hr to 1hr). I sometimes read in the evenings, and I usually get in an hour or two each day at weekends.

This is a slow year for me. I used to get in more reading time on my commute, but can't since switching to a car share.

I read at about 400wpm. This isn't 'speed reading', just my natural pace. So a 200 page book probably takes me about three hours of reading time.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-23-2018 at 08:04 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That was me some 10 and more years ago. I basically did nothing else in my free time but read. But these days I find I want to do other things too, not only read books every moment I can. So what if I read less books now than I did before? Reading should be a pleasure, not a contest who reads more.
Absolutely, but who's making it a contest?

I never liked television, even when I was young. I'm not saying I haven't got into certain shows over the years, but it's been a long while. I couldn't even tell you what's popular now. I don't like the process of watching television and I hate the noise. That's me, but I'll admit when I see people say they have no time to read, I think of all the screen time they probably put in and think they could find some time if they wanted. As you implied, it's about priorities and inclination. In the evening, I'd always rather read.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
No sleep, no TV, no social life.

I tend to binge stuff though. There are weeks I'd binge read. Others, I spend binge watching instead.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-23-2018 at 10:08 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
First: Find a quiet place to read.
Second: Find authors you really like their stye of writing. Ya Know, the ones you want to binge read.
Third: Be retired

68 books finished this year (some were started last year,obviously, NOT one of my binge authors). Includes novels, novellas
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I also read every available minute. I always have. In school I would race to my next class so I could read for a few minutes before the bell rang. When eating alone I read. I have always read in the bathroom. When going to the store I take my book along. If I get stopped by a train I read. If I am lucky it is a slow train or will even stop. When the TV is on I will read during the commercials and if it isn't holding my interest, I will read during the show.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have the whole day to myself. I only watch anime. And I don't work.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Second: Find authors you really like their stye of writing. Ya Know, the ones you want to binge read.

68 books finished this year (some were started last year,obviously, NOT one of my binge authors). Includes novels, novellas
how to Find a quiet place to read.....

it is not like study for exam... book at study area place and stay there whole day...
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Do you have time to eat, talk to significant other, or see friends?
I probably do spend too much time on youtube; I don't have a tv, but watch favourite programmes online. I'm more selective this way.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Do you have time to eat, talk to significant other, or see friends?
I probably do spend too much time on youtube; I don't have a tv, but watch favourite programmes online. I'm more selective this way.
I have a Home office (were I also MR and Youtube). Out side, while wonderful weather, has non-stop Aircraft since the FAA realigned SFO
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I don't know if I fit this category, but I read deep into the night when in "binge" mode. When not in binge mode, I don't get that much reading done. I'm not a fast reader, I just read by "brute force" because I can't put the book down. (Or, sometimes, I just want to get it done.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I've read around 60 books this year according to the reviews I've posted on LibraryThing (maybe more, maybe less - I'm going by review date). I know there's some books I haven't posted reviews for (the online titles I've been reading on the Faded Page website - Neville Shute and Arthur Ransome among others), but I've reviewed them elsewhere. (In some cases, I don't own the book so I wouldn't post the review on LT - that's for books I own.)

At the moment, I've a fair amount of time on my hands and can spend around 6 hours a day reading (which is all to the good as it means I'm not out spending money). Like others, I'm a fast reader - a 1980s mass market paperback I can finish in a couple of hours. A doorstep will take 4-6 hours. (It used to be a problem packing sufficient reading material for a 2 week beach holiday.) Even in work, I can still finish 2 or 3 books a week (although if the latest job comes up I won't be able to read on the commute as it's by bus and I get travel sick if I try and read in a motor vehicle.)

I've always been a reader; I would read in preference to doing anything else (much to my mother's annoyance). My Dad was the same - I can remember him sitting with his back to the window with a book in front of him and a pot of coffee and a packet of cigarettes at his side.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookworm, reading lots