Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Cayo
Enthusiast
Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Converting epub to PDF - can't get top/bottom margins to work

I'm new to Calibre, and I'm trying to convert epub files to PDF. When I do, I can't seem to get the top and bottom margins to work. Left and right work fine, but top and bottom don't work at all.

I've got text where the top half of the characters are on the bottom of one page, and the bottom half of the characters are on the top of the next page.

How do I fix this?
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You don't. Top and bottom margin in PDF output are not supported.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Cayo
Enthusiast
Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
You don't. Top and bottom margin in PDF output are not supported.
Why not? The way it handles it right now is horrible - not to mention unacceptable. Other epub to PDF converters are able to support top and bottom margins, so why can't Calibre?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayo View Post
Why not?
No one feels like wasting their time to fix it. PDF is not a nice format for ebooks. It's not nice to work with. It's not used very much by calibre users so working on it is not a priority.

Quote:
The way it handles it right now is horrible - not to mention unacceptable. Other epub to PDF converters are able to support top and bottom margins, so why can't Calibre?
You have two choices. Use one of those other tools. Or, since calibre is open source, fix it yourself.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Cayo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post

No one feels like wasting their time to fix it. PDF is not a nice format for ebooks. It's not nice to work with. It's not used very much by calibre users so working on it is not a priority.

You have two choices. Use one of those other tools. Or, since calibre is open source, fix it yourself.

Wow. I was under the impression that Calibre was well respected as an eBook application. If you're going to have a functionality in an application, it's the developers responsibility to make sure that it works properly.
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Wow. I was under the impression that Calibre was well respected as an eBook application. If you're going to have a functionality in an application, it's the developers responsibility to make sure that it works properly.
Calibre is free, the developers don't have a responsibility to you or anyone else. They develop because they enjoy it. Take the hint from one of the senior guys, none of them want to develop PDF so it won't happen.

Here's a free tip, if you are intending asking for help in this forum you need to revise your attitude. No-one will want to assist you if you demand service.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
How many 100K$ did you drop into the Calibre donation/tip jar?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Cayo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

Calibre is free, the developers don't have a responsibility to you or anyone else. They develop because they enjoy it. Take the hint from one of the senior guys, none of them want to develop PDF so it won't happen.

You're wrong. If you're going to code an app for public use, you have a responsibility to make it bug free. I'm not talking about the kind of responsibility that comes with an employer/employee relationship - I'm talking about the kind of responsibility that comes with a decent set of ethics. And I find it offensive when people take that attitude that just because a program is free, it means the developers have absolutely no responsibility of any kind in regards to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

Here's a free tip, if you are intending asking for help in this forum you need to revise your attitude. No-one will want to assist you if you demand service.

I never demanded anything. I asked about why the program didn't do what it was supposed to. Afterwards, I made a comment regarding a poor attitude by the developers - and whether it's liked or not, it was right on the money.

That being said, I'll save people trouble in assisting me. All apps have bugs, and while this one is a doozy for my needs, I wouldn't necessarily have given up on the app as a whole. However, if the developers don't care enough about their own application to even *want* to fix the bugs, then I have no interest in the application and will be uninstalling it immediately.

I realize that what I typed comes across as brusque, but please don't misunderstand - it's not my intention to insult or attack anyone. But I don't agree with (or like) the way the developers appear to be handling their end of things with this app. I have programmed free apps myself, and I *never* took that approach with my users. If people wanted to demand that I personally train them step by step or demanded that I add features, I might have made a comment about how it's free and therefore what they're doing is not appropriate.

But that the program works properly and is well documented? That is a basic responsibility for any developer - regardless of whether the app is free or paid. I absolutely considered it my responsibility to make sure that any functionality I designed worked as it was supposed to. To do anything else is unethical, and is one of the signs of a poor developer.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Cayo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How many 100K$ did you drop into the Calibre donation/tip jar?
If you think a decent set of ethics needs to be paid for, than you deserve exactly what you will get out of life.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
then I have no interest in the application and will be uninstalling it immediately.
Good riddance.

Quote:
I have programmed free apps myself, and I *never* took that approach with my users.
But that the program works properly and is well documented? That is a basic responsibility for any developer - regardless of whether the app is free or paid. I absolutely considered it my responsibility to make sure that any functionality I designed worked as it was supposed to. To do anything else is unethical, and is one of the signs of a poor developer.
That tells me that any app you created had exactly two features. It started up and shut down.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
Cayo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Good riddance.

That tells me that any app you created had exactly two features. It started up and shut down.

In addition to being unintelligent, you also just made it vividly clear what kind of personality you have. I assure you, sir, the phrase "good riddance" is more than mutual.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
In addition to being unintelligent, you also just made it vividly clear what kind of personality you have. I assure you, sir, the phrase "good riddance" is more than mutual.
Buh bye now.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Convert epub to PDF?
I don't get the joke.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
OP uninstalls a well-respected ebook utility because he doesn't like the PDF handling. Personally, I have other programs to make PDF files, but would never waste time making a PDF ebook for my reader. Doesn't make any sense.

But at least we have a good example of someone cutting off the nose to spite the face.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
HWgeek
HWgeek began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel
Hmm... This guy probably works for M$. Since its app's generally "start up and shutdown" as the most prevalent feature(s).
HWgeek is offline   Reply With Quote