Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use Dropbox because it's does leave local files on any PC that you install the client software on. It's synchs files really quickly. The fastest I have seen in storage online services. It's just drag & drop to folder and within a minute it's done.

I don't use the Calibre cloud script. I have mine set up in folders by theme. I do use Calibre to save them to my Dropbox so it uses the plugboard option and the metadata shows correctly on my reader.

I have a Kindle so all I do is log on to Dropbox, type in the little search box on the left a few letters of the book I want and it shows up underneath as I type. No need to browse through all the ebooks I have on it. I love this! The search as you type in one of the reasons I switched to Dropbox.

I also back up my ebooks to DVD and I have a external drive I can grab if I have to. I don't take any chances. Always have backups of your backups because ebooks are precious!

Dropbox doesn't have a file size limit that I know of. I know if uploaded via their website it's 300MB but through their client it's seems to be only limited to the space you have available.

Last edited by Blossom; 04-11-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Mostly, I use Dropbox to exchange files with friends. Films, music, photos. Temporary stuff, after the exchange, I purge them. The only unnerving thing is that it is rather slowish, although faster than gmail, and without the size limitations.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I use DropBox because it's convenient and their Android app is most excellent, but I also have Carbonite for automatic backup. That way if either of those companies should disappear I’m still covered. Lastly I have a personal cloud/Network Accessible Storage with a 1 TB hard drive that’s accessible from my mobile devices as well as any PC (Linux, Windows, Or Apple) that has an internet connection. I use a TonidoPlug server for my personal cloud, but there are several others available.

Call it overkill, but I like having the keys to my cloud.

Last edited by wodin; 04-11-2011 at 07:48 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #19
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Amazon has their new 5 GB cloud service where you just upload or download with a web browser.

It's not automatic sync like Dropbox - but I hate the idea of something automatically reading / writing to my hard drive. I suspect Amazon might be a bit more reliable than Dropbox.

As far as I am aware, Dropbox uses Amazon server service so there should be no difference. I use dropbox to sync between two machines so either if they went bust, I'm still left with two copies (plus an automatic copy to an external system).
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #20
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I use Sugarsync because it came with more free storage than DB. At first I did it for a "just in case extra backup", but once I got my new desktop, the syncing feature became invaluable. I can manage my calibre library and my Kindle from either computer. Even if the cloud breaks down, I'll still have a very recent local version on both computers. The chances of both computers and Sugarsync all failing on the same day are pretty slim, I think, but I also have a full recent backup on a secondary drive as part of my normal b/up scheme.

It's also handy for transferring files between computers, as not all of my systems are fully networked.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert