Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
linelle
linelle began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
SFF writers -- where do you promote your work?

I have a second novel -- a dystopian fairy tale with e-beasts, chaos, and good poking up through the cracks -- and I wondered where others promote their work. I am working on this question on my own, and I've been around the track once, so am not newbie.

But everything goes better when you ask questions.
linelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
This will interest me, too. I have a website and a few places where I advise people of updates, but no real promotion regime. I'd like to see what other people do.

rjb
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you talking for free? OR for pay? Bookbub is NOT free but highly successful

http://www.bookbub.com/home/

Beyond that I am not real sure as I have only negative luck so far with adverts.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by linelle View Post
I have a second novel -- a dystopian fairy tale with e-beasts, chaos, and good poking up through the cracks -- and I wondered where others promote their work. I am working on this question on my own, and I've been around the track once, so am not newbie.

But everything goes better when you ask questions.
What have you done in the past?

There are a variety of SF forums where you can post/discuss it. Or are you talking about paid advertising? or ??
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Are you talking for free? OR for pay? Bookbub is NOT free but highly successful

http://www.bookbub.com/home/

Beyond that I am not real sure as I have only negative luck so far with adverts.
Have you used bookbub Vincent?
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Have you used bookbub Vincent?
No, I have yet to pay any real money for advertising, but I spend a lot (too much) of time reading posts from people who share their hard numbers (including many that make a living as self pub) and Bookbub consistently shows up on the lists of actually being successful.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
No, I have yet to pay any real money for advertising, but I spend a lot (too much) of time reading posts from people who share their hard numbers (including many that make a living as self pub) and Bookbub consistently shows up on the lists of actually being successful.
Thanks!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
linelle
linelle began at the beginning.

Thank you all for answering. About bookbub -- a writer friend with a well-reviewed novel used it. Although she initially was pleased by the bump in sales it produced (as well as the exposure -- thousands of copies were downloaded), she was less pleased when some 1-star reviews began turning up that clearly were from people who never read it. She says she will not do free promotions for her second book.

I once wasted some money on a Goodreads ad. I did a multi-site promotion for CEL & ANNA (which did not cost me any money) that was reasonably successful. I planned it months in advance; I have names of several sites that help with free promotion.

I have one novel out there, plus a book of stories, plus an imminent second novel -- that is not a lot of content. I am focused on getting more content out there. Is there any better use of our time than that?

An instructive blog on the subject of staying safe out there regarding promotion:
http://networkedblogs.com/PN0qg
linelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by linelle View Post

I have one novel out there, plus a book of stories, plus an imminent second novel -- that is not a lot of content. I am focused on getting more content out there. Is there any better use of our time than that?

Yeah, in general you probably want 4 or 5 novels out there before you start promoting. Readers will eat up your novels in DAYS at best. Then they will look for new books by you (assuming they like it) and if they are not there you potentially loose that sale, for good.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I haven't found either Goodreads or LibraryThing give-aways garnered me either reviews or sales, but I'll probably do both of them again for Fables and Fireflies when it comes out in December.

I'm hoping to do a Dragons & Dreams bookbub in December too, but we'll see whether I get the illustrations for that one in time. They may not accept me anyway; I've only got 13 reviews, although they're all good reviews.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, promotion, science fiction