Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-18-2019, 07:52 AM   #511
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
You actually want them to be AZW files. On 1.23 you'll still be able to use Alf's tools with Method 2 or 4. On 1.25 just Method 2 with odamizu's workaround (Mac only, not PC).
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #512
bdillahu
bdillahu began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6s with Marvin
One file doesn't work

I have this working fine with 1.25.2 as above, except for one particular book. It shows as a *.awz file, but Calibre just warns it has DRM. Other books (tried 6-7) work fine.

Thoughts?
bdillahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #513
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdillahu View Post
I have this working fine with 1.25.2 as above, except for one particular book. It shows as a *.awz file, but Calibre just warns it has DRM. Other books (tried 6-7) work fine.

Thoughts?
For detailed help with drm removal, you'll need to ask at Apprentice Alf's blog, or Apprentice Harper's Github repository.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #514
bdillahu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
For detailed help with drm removal, you'll need to ask at Apprentice Alf's blog, or Apprentice Harper's Github repository.
OK, figured I would explore here if people were seeing (for example) newer books being different, or something like that, or if this was somehow related to the ongoing discussion.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #515
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, figured I would explore here if people were seeing (for example) newer books being different, or something like that, or if this was somehow related to the ongoing discussion.
The only possible way to tell would be by detailed discussion of drm removal, i.e., your problem with one book. That isn't permitted at MobileRead.
Advert
Old 03-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #516
bdillahu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The only possible way to tell would be by detailed discussion of drm removal, i.e., your problem with one book. That isn't permitted at MobileRead.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:33 AM   #517
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
You actually want them to be AZW files. On 1.23 you'll still be able to use Alf's tools with Method 2 or 4. On 1.25 just Method 2 with odamizu's workaround (Mac only, not PC).
On my Mac, both KF8 and KFX download with an .azw extension. When it's KFX, the .azw file is accompanied by a voucher file, azw.md and azw.res.

Anon_me's .azw files were KFX since s/he's a Mac user reporting .azw/.res/.md. So those azws are not actually what one wants.

Quote:

Thoughts?
Any chance it's KFX leftover from before renderer-test was disabled? Maybe try removing the book and re-downloading just to be sure?

Last edited by odamizu; 03-19-2019 at 12:36 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #518
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, both Kindle for Mac and PC usually give the generic AZW extension to the main book file. But on K4Mac 1.23 you'd still be able to use Method 2 or 4, right? Isn't it just k4Mac 1.25 where you'd see it change to KCR without the workaround?
Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #519
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, both Kindle for Mac and PC usually give the generic AZW extension to the main book file. But on K4Mac 1.23 you'd still be able to use Method 2 or 4, right? Isn't it just k4Mac 1.25 where you'd see it change to KCR without the workaround?
Maybe I'm misreading.

anon_me wrote that they were getting .azw/.res/.md. That's KFX.

You then wrote: "You actually want them to be AZW files."

So I wrote that if the azw files are KFX, you do not actually want them. That's all I was trying to say.

Method 2 works for K4Mac 1.23. I assume it also works for Method 4, but I've never actually tried it as I avoid KFX.

Method 2 also works for K4Mac 1.25 if you just download the book without opening it. This is because K4Mac 1.25 first downloads an .azw. If renderer-test is disabled, that AZW is KF8 (if renderer-test is enabled, that AZW is KFX).

If the AZW is KF8, K4Mac 1.25 will convert it to KCR when the book is opened. To avoid that conversion, you have to make sure to just download the book without opening it by using right-click + download or menu bar > file > download. If you double-click the book, it will convert the AZW/KF8 to KCR and open the book.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #520
lkmiller
Laura

Ok, my misunderstanding. I thought it sounded like they were wondering why it wasn't changing from AZW to KCR. But, of course, they were asking about getting AZW/KF8 instead of AZW/KFX files.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #521
lkmiller
Laura

I don't have a Mac to test this myself. But from what I've seen at GitHub, you still can't use Alf's tools with Kindle for Mac 1.25. The workaround allows you to get KF8 files, but the tools can't find the key to unlock them.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #522
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
I don't have a Mac to test this myself. But from what I've seen at GitHub, you still can't use Alf's tools with Kindle for Mac 1.25. The workaround allows you to get KF8 files, but the tools can't find the key to unlock them.
The workaround works on my Mac. I am able to get KF8 files using K4Mac 1.25.2 that Alf can unlock. (I wouldn't have posted this workaround if all I could do was download a locked KF8 file.)

From what I can tell, this also worked for others on MobileRead here and here (except for one book that may be tpz) and also for a GitHub user here.

But maybe the four of us are just special?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #523
lkmiller
Laura

Hmm, maybe. Because a couple people reported on this GitHub issue that they had to go back to 1.23.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #524
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

When Kindle for Mac/PC updates in-place, it must keep the same user key (otherwise all the books would need to be downloaded again). So it's possible that someone installs Kindle for Mac pre-1.25, gets the key, and it then updates to 1.25 and with the work-around, can still get access to KF8 files for which they have the key.

But this, I admit, is pure speculation. And probably about as far as we're allowed to go on MobileRead.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #525
odamizu
just an egg

When I was originally trying to figure this out, I tested it both ways:

First I did a clean install of 1.25.2 on a new user account on my Mac. I was able to get Alf-friendly KF8 using the workaround.

Then I deleted the K4Mac 1.25.2 app and the Kindle folder in Library > Application Support, so no trace of K4Mac. I then installed 1.23.1 and upgraded to 1.25.2. I got an Alf-friendly KF8 that way, too.

ETA: I also only tested this using standalone Alf as I don't use Calibre for Alf-itizing. Though it would be odd if it only worked using the standalone tools and not Calibre.

Last edited by odamizu; 03-27-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc