Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
zeuskeu
zeuskeu began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Question Is the iLiad the best ?

Hi,

I need an e-paper support for reading online information (website). For the moment I have an iRex iLiad, and I see it's possible with this device to do this (with minimo and wireless).

But I need to know, is an another e-paper device better to do webBrowsing ? Witch one can to do that too ?

Thx and sorry for my bad english.
zeuskeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No eInk device is especially good for web browsing - the slow refresh rate of the screen tends to cause problems.

If wireless web browsing is important for you, I think you'd be far better off with a laptop or a tablet PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
zeuskeu
zeuskeu began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
I know but I need to use an e-paper device. The iLiad is the better for that ? the refresh time is not a problem.
zeuskeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the iLiad is probably the best. I don't think you're going to find it a very satisfactory experience, but try it for yourself and see!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuskeu View Post
But I need to know, is an another e-paper device better to do webBrowsing?
The only E-Ink device with acceptable web browsing is the Kindle - when it is in range of its cell phone network. The best web browser for the iLiad so far is Webkit with midori as a front end, see Webkit Browser (Safari's Engine) with Beta Release. This is only beta code, but my main problem with it is a lack of bookmarks - which may be inherited from midori.

Note that the Kindle's browser is also Webkit-based.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The only E-Ink device with acceptable web browsing is the Kindle - when it is in range of its cell phone network.
What makes the Kindle better than the iLiad for web browsing, wallcraft? I would have thought that the touch screen of the iLiad was a considerable "plus" when it came to browsing - I'm guessing that without a touch screen, the Kindle has to rely on controls having input focus in order to navigate - how does it manage on the numerous sites which don't work like that?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree that the iLiad should be a better platform for web browsers, but so far none of the actual implementations on the iLiad have been very useful in practice.

The Kindle browser has two modes: default (simple), and advanced (with some CSS support). Even the "simple" is good enough for many sites. I have screenshots of the feedbook site on the Kindle: default mode and advanced mode.

The way the Kindle gets round the lack of a pointing device is to use the its select wheel to identify one "line" (or multi-line segment) of the display, and then bring up all the selectable items in that line to choose from. It relies on the web browser "knowing" what elements could be selected. There probably are web pages where this would not work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering whether the Kindle could handle navigation interfaces such as imagemaps, which take you to different parts of a site according to what pixel coordinates on a graphic one selects.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I find the web browsing on the Kindle to be pretty iffy, myself. It's great for getting content and the occasional Wikipedia or Google search. I think it really depends on the site you're trying to navigate. Some sites are painful and others work quite well. Sites designed with mobile access in mind are usually a lot better.

If I think of the Kindle and the Iliad on a spectrum between reading device and tablet PC, Kindle is more on the reader end than the Iliad. As a reader, the Whispernet adds a lot to the experience. If you think of it like a tablet PC, you will be disappointed. If I wanted to look at websites all the time and needed e-ink, I'd go with the Iliad or find a way to grab the content I wanted and convert it (which would probably be easier on the battery anyway).
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is a great user community adding programs all the time to the iLiad. I suspect a better browser will be in the offering soon for the reader. I am amazed at all the tools that are available. You should browse the iLiad forums and see what is really going on. There is also a lot of data on the wiki about this device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote