Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I bought a clara hd from Amazon. am I going to have this affiliate issue? tia
The affiliate can be easily changed in the kobo.inf file found in .kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #17
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The affiliate can be easily changed in the kobo.inf file found in .kobo.
thank you. I understand that, but I was asking if anyone knew, having bought one from Amazon, if I was going to need to do that.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #18
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
You do not need to change Your affiliation, You can do it when You want a new firmware that is already distributed for some affiliation but not for Your and You don't want to wait, for example. Somebody changed it because did not want to see anymore the Walmart logo. I use a non existent affiliation in order to avoid new firmware before patch are ready.
But, as far as I know, except that cases affiliation has no effect on Your device.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
You do not need to change Your affiliation, You can do it when You want a new firmware that is already distributed for some affiliation but not for Your and You don't want to wait, for example. Somebody changed it because did not want to see anymore the Walmart logo. I use a non existent affiliation in order to avoid new firmware before patch are ready.
But, as far as I know, except that cases affiliation has no effect on Your device.
I think there may be something (or was) if you have FNAC as your affiliate.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #20
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think there may be something (or was) if you have FNAC as your affiliate.
not sure what FNAC is, but buying it direct from Amazon
Advert
Old 12-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #21
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
thank you. I think I would prefer a non-existent affiliation too. I don't want logos and other bs on my device. sick of the "amazon" experience.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
thank you. I think I would prefer a non-existent affiliation too. I don't want logos and other bs on my device. sick of the "amazon" experience.
The affiliate basically says who gets a share of anything you buy from the Kobo book store. As well, a few change logos displayed in a couple of places. And a few change the screensaver so it shows their logo instead.

The other use is for firmware updates. Kobo has agreement with some affiliates about when firmware is updated. This is mainly to do with the order they releases happen. Kobo release to some smaller affiliates first and then to wider audience after a few days. It is popular here to change the affiliate to get the firmware faster. Unfortunately, it can backfire.

No idea what the affiliate will be for you. Some seem to be country based. Australian's will probably get the affiliate for "Angus & Robinson" or "Bookworld". The French will probably get "FNAC". But, you can also specify an affiliate when signing into the device and link your account with that store to you Kobo store. I would expect this to set the affiliate on the device, but I have never bothered to do this.

In any case, if the affiliate you have does something you don't like, I suggest just editing the "affiliates.conf" and changing the affiliate to "kobo". That is the least intrusive (no function loss, Kobo logos in the very few places they are shown, not to early or late in the firmware deployment).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:36 PM   #23
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

@davidfor thank you.

no intention of using anything Kobo, including their store. I just want an easy, uncluttered ereader with a nice form. loved my PW2 until it died recently. don't care for any of the current kindle offerings though along with the Clara I ordered an Oasis. it's up in the air which will win or if I will order an Inkpad 3 instead.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
@davidfor thank you.

no intention of using anything Kobo, including their store. I just want an easy, uncluttered ereader with a nice form. loved my PW2 until it died recently. don't care for any of the current kindle offerings though along with the Clara I ordered an Oasis. it's up in the air which will win or if I will order an Inkpad 3 instead.
The Kobo firmware is uncluttered. I have no idea which affiliate mine is set to. I do not see any logos at all. Nothing gets in the way WiFi is off.

Why won't you listen to someone who actually own a Kobo and is running the latest firmware when I say there is no clutter at all? An yes, my Kobo is properly registered at Kobo's website.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #25
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
The Kobo firmware is uncluttered. I have no idea which affiliate mine is set to. I do not see any logos at all. Nothing gets in the way WiFi is off.

Why won't you listen to someone who actually own a Kobo and is running the latest firmware when I say there is no clutter at all? An yes, my Kobo is properly registered at Kobo's website.
I'm biting my tongue right now and, yes, it's painful. I am willful and headstrong, as are, apparently, you. I will take your information under advisement. thank you.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm biting my tongue right now and, yes, it's painful. I am willful and headstrong, as are, apparently, you. I will take your information under advisement. thank you.
What some have recommended is to create another Kobo account with no eBooks and use that to register.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #27
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
What some have recommended is to create another Kobo account with no eBooks and use that to register.
yes. thank you. also using an alias email that is a dead box is another way. I think I have this figured out now.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #28
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
To "unclutter" the firmware further, look at the newest patches to change the browse Kobo link (you can also change the rotating right one) and to modify the top-left menu. There are also patches to remove the recommendations from the home screen, to remove the tutorial dialogs, and so on.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:15 AM   #29
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
To "unclutter" the firmware further, look at the newest patches to change the browse Kobo link (you can also change the rotating right one) and to modify the top-left menu. There are also patches to remove the recommendations from the home screen, to remove the tutorial dialogs, and so on.
many thanks!
Old 12-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #30
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I didn't find all of these in the yamls. I did find the remove the recommendations, but not the others and I want them all. no idea why I'm not seeing them.

could be ID10T error because I've read so many things on the kobo forum that it's all starting to meld and obscure the simple things.

I read your most recent patching instructions thread a couple three times and my brain shut off at the most important part each time. oh well.

have everything in place now except those above and your Reduce Top/Bottom Page Spacer. could not find it. sorry. hints on all?

thank you for all your hard work!

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-12-2019 at 05:58 PM.