Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-31-2020, 05:07 AM   #256
mePy2
mePy2 began at the beginning.

Device: Max2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Is there something specific in the docs that you'd like to know more about?

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...oc/Building.md
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ing_targets.md
Hi,

Thank you.
Well yes... but before starting to ask you many things, I would like you to join this Discord and to directly chat there.
TL;DR is I would like to compile KOReader for Android and optimizing it for my Max2 Pro device. First thing I would like to do is to remove all the things I do not need like internet connection.

But again, I think it’s more comfortable to speak there.

Cheers

https://discord.gg/MJsjcKJ
Tell me (mePy2) “who you are” if you enter :)
mePy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:23 AM   #257
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberd View Post
The latest android stable (2020.01) won't install on one device and installs but doesn't run on my tablet. The same problem with the previous nightly build. Is anyone else having a problem with it?
That happens if you're trying to update from a apk with different signature. For example: update from F-droid to a github/rocks apk, update from a debug to a release apk, update from self-signed apk to any other.

You can remove the apk without loosing any configuration as long as you do not remove the /sdcard/koreader folder, where shared preferences are stored.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:33 AM   #258
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I would recommend you open an issue on GitHub or go to https://gitter.im/koreader/koreader so that there are more people who see and can respond to your questions. Also if something's unclear in the docs that way it has a significantly better chance of being fixed.

Quote:
First thing I would like to do is to remove all the things I do not need like internet connection.
That's a bit backwards. Just build the thing first and then start modifying. Otherwise you'll have no idea whether you broke something or whether you didn't set it up right in the first place.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:37 AM   #259
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mePy2 View Post

TL;DR is I would like to compile KOReader for Android and optimizing it for my Max2 Pro device. First thing I would like to do is to remove all the things I do not need like internet connection.
We don't support any "offline" device and some core features, like wikipedia, dictionary download, ota updates.., use it a lot.

Bear in mind that if you're trying to remove the android INTERNET permission without modifying the entire frontend you'll end with an app that crashes each time it tries to connect to something. Having an app crashing is not exactly an optimization.

More in general, stripping not needed parts of the code isn't really an optimization. The entire program logic is less than 100k lines of code, including device abstraction, framebuffer/input handling and ffi for a bunch of libraries.

My suggestion would be leaving the frontend as is and just don't use the network features. You can remove most of the plugins you don't need before building the apk without problem.

If you have technical questions about the android platform code you can ask in https://github.com/koreader/android-luajit-launcher.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2020, 05:56 AM   #260
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Removing the plugins isn't an optimization either though. It is in the sense that the program will start slightly faster (but for the most part not in a way you'll notice), but you can just disable them in the settings to achieve the same effect. Going through the effort of compiling a custom build just for that would be pretty much the opposite of optimizing anything.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:26 AM   #261
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Removing the plugins isn't an optimization either though. It is in the sense that the program will start slightly faster (but for the most part not in a way you'll notice), but you can just disable them in the settings to achieve the same effect. Going through the effort of compiling a custom build just for that would be pretty much the opposite of optimizing anything.
Yup, not an optimization. But plugins and translations are the things that can be removed without any effort, so..

In the traditional sense of optimizations we have an open issue about integrating the eink update routines for onyx devices. Maybe mePy2 find it interesting:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5073
Old 01-31-2020, 06:55 AM   #262
mePy2

Thank you guys. You are fast.

What I would like to achieve is a minimal version of the reader with very little functionality. So no plugins, no internet, even some formats support removed if necessary.

Maybe I didn’t specify that what I’m trying to achieve is another application, based on koreader, which has the above specifics.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:35 AM   #263
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As people mentioned, it isn't going to make anything any faster. The only thing you'll have done is a lot of work for a simpler UI .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:49 AM   #264
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mePy2 View Post
Maybe I didn’t specify that what I’m trying to achieve is another application, based on koreader, which has the above specifics.
So, it has nothing to do with optimizing KOReader for your device. It is more a new/rebranded app tailored for your needs.

Have fun with that but don't expect any kind of support, specially if you're going to remove parts of working code.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #265
mePy2

good answer. very nice person.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:04 PM   #266
jberd
Enthusiast
jberd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
That happens if you're trying to update from a apk with different signature. For example: update from F-droid to a github/rocks apk, update from a debug to a release apk, update from self-signed apk to any other.

You can remove the apk without loosing any configuration as long as you do not remove the /sdcard/koreader folder, where shared preferences are stored.
Ah; thanks!
I removed the old one and installed the new one; works great.
Thanks for the help!
jberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #267
joandr
Enthusiast
joandr began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Onyx Boox Nova, EnergyReader ProHD (Boyue)
Really it would be better if we could choose a personalized path for the sdr folders, between main memory (or a simple file) or book folder, each would choose according to their needs. Is this parameter not possible in the Settings ? Thank you

Last edited by joandr; 02-18-2020 at 11:57 AM.
joandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #268
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandr View Post
Really it would be better if we could choose a personalized path for the sdr folders, between main memory (or a simple file) or book folder, each would choose according to their needs. Is this parameter not possible in the Settings ? Thank you
Nope. The only way to keep sidecar dirs (*.sdr) out of your way is to store books in a read only partition. This will keep your book history in /path/to/storage/koreader/history.lua.

There are a few reasons to keep sidecar dirs in the same path of books: easy sync, easy backup & restore, easy export, avoids hashing each book on an underpowered device, allows moving books...

The only downside I can see is that exploring a directory filled with books (and sidecar dirs) is not as clean as one with ebooks only. That issue is android (and desktop, dunno Pocketbook) specific because on the rest of platforms there are no filemanagers that can display these "crappy" files.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:32 AM   #269
serjls
serjls began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo, PocketBook 626
Hello! I use Koreader on Tolino Vision 4. Autorun SimpleInkLauncher - > Koreader -> I get to the filemanager (library). Can I make an option to open the last book I read? Thank you for a wonderful program!
serjls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:52 AM   #270
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Try this:
File Manager - Menu on top, first tab, "Start with:" -> Last file.
Works on Kindle
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote