Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Question Installing Android Market on the Kobo Vox

When someone figures out how to install and activate the Android Market on the Vox (for those of us without an Android phone, past or present, i.e., never registered an Android device with the Market), please post a walkthrough here

I've been able to find APKs for versions 2.2, 3.0 and 3.1 of the Android Market app (Vending.apk), and all of them install, but some disappear as soon as I launch them, or asks me to "add an account to the device" (the 3.1 version). Clicking Yes or No on this prompt causes the app to simply disappear from the screen.

Last edited by borisb; 10-29-2011 at 12:37 PM.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Here is something I have used for my Chinese-branded Android device with no official Android market.

WARNING! This procedure may render your device unbootable. Check first how you can reset your device to factory defaults if this happens. (happened to me few times, but factory reset helped every time). This may even brick your tablet, be careful!!!

WARNING! Do it on your own risk. If something goes wrong, warranty probably doesn't cover this mess.

So, now to the procedure:

Get Google apps from Cyanogenmod webpage (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...on/Google_Apps)

Note that you must guess which package is good for your tablet (depends which Android version your tablet is running). If Kobo runs Android 2.3, then you could start with Cyanogenmod 6 builds). If you have Android 3.x then the Cyanogenmod 7 packages should work. If you try to run too new packages, they won't run (you may got some weird error messages...)

Install following apps to your device (if your device has some of these already installed, you may skip them):

GoogleServicesFramework
OneTimeInitializer
SetupWizard
Vending

Optional:
Gmail
Talk
Maps

After install, reboot the device and Google setup wizard should run... if not, then uninstall packages and try other version.

Good luck
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

So, it hasn't gotten any easier from a year ago Frustrating that a: Google still ignores many tablets on the market, and b: app developers don't realize there are many other tablets on the market
Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Paulc15
Paulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle DX , iPad 1, Kobo Vox
Factory reset - how to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
(happened to me few times, but factory reset helped every time).
Hi there

I have an unrelated problem (at boot up) and I would like to do a factory reset on my Vox. The manual doesn't explain how to do a 'hard' reset. Can you offer advice?

Thanks and best wishes.

Paul
Paulc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
All apps / settings / factory data reset
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Paulc15
Paulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
All apps / settings / factory data reset
Thanks for the quick response! I'm guessing that that's on a standard Android menu. There isn't an option on the Vox to do that under settings. Hmmm...

The problem I've encountered on boot up is...

The application Status Bar (process.com.android.
systemui) stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

[FORCE CLOSE]
----------

When I tap <force close>, I get a large grey area with "loading..."

Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Paul
Old 10-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
factory reset on the Vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc15 View Post
Thanks for the quick response! I'm guessing that that's on a standard Android menu. There isn't an option on the Vox to do that under settings. Hmmm...

The problem I've encountered on boot up is...

The application Status Bar (process.com.android.
systemui) stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

[FORCE CLOSE]
----------

When I tap <force close>, I get a large grey area with "loading..."

Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Paul
Paul,
The equvalent reset on the Vox appears to be:
all apps\settings\privacy\factory data reset

However, that is probably NOT what you need since under the title
is says "erases all data on device"

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Paulc15

Thanks Larry! That was exactly what I was looking for (and didn't see .

The Vox's back up and running. Really appreciate it.

Paul
Old 10-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Frustrating that a: Google still ignores many tablets on the market [..]
Google isn't ignoring tablets. Tablets are ignoring google. All it takes for Android hardware developers to get the Market is a license agreement with Google. If they don't want to do a deal, it isn't Google's fault.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
borisb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
All it takes for Android hardware developers to get the Market is a license agreement with Google. If they don't want to do a deal, it isn't Google's fault.
Interesting perspective - first time I've seen this one. Makes me wonder what the strings/requirements are that many non-phone device vendors aren't signing on the dotted line...
Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Google isn't ignoring tablets. Tablets are ignoring google. All it takes for Android hardware developers to get the Market is a license agreement with Google. If they don't want to do a deal, it isn't Google's fault.
While it is true they would have to sign a licensing agreement to get the android market they also have to pass compatibility testing and have certain hardware built in or they won't be able to get the license. Examples are it would need a mic, GPS, camera and other hardware that a Colour E-reader and basic tablet do not really require. The option would be to include all this and the cost goes up by quite a bit or build the tablet the way you want and not access the market.

As it stands you can sideload any app that you really want plus you have access to a large number of apps through the market included. Seems like a good deal to me to get a cheap tablet while still getting to access all apps.

If you want to read more about the Android requirements there is lots here.

http://source.android.com/compatibility/index.html
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
While it is true they would have to sign a licensing agreement to get the android market they also have to pass compatibility testing and have certain hardware built in or they won't be able to get the license. Examples are it would need a mic, GPS, camera and other hardware that a Colour E-reader and basic tablet do not really require.
Not true. Go have a look at Google's android compatibility docs. While they make recommendations, there are no specific hard requirements like mic, GPS, or camera.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #13
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The process for certification is very strict. While they use the word should it will still fail certification for many reasons including hardware setups they don't agree with. Google still controls the process very heavily because they only want certain hardware with the android market. Lots more info here that goes through a specific case. Very interesting if you like that sort of thing.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/12/g...orola-samsung/

Last edited by kaikara; 10-30-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #14
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
The process for certification is very strict.
Well of course it is. Google wants to keep Android from fragmenting. Still, there's nothing in the specs that dictates specific hardware like cameras or gps.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
kaikara
Zealot

Quote:
Well of course it is. Google wants to keep Android from fragmenting. Still, there's nothing in the specs that dictates specific hardware like cameras or gps.
Google can dictate whatever they want with the wording now used in the documents. Up until the latest version of the requirements (2.3) they said that the device must have these things. They have changed the wording in the latest documents to say should that way they can require whatever they want in regards to hardware. The licensing process is free so the only reason that a manufacturer won't do it is because they don't want to have the market at all or their hardware/software doesn't pass certification.

To get this back on topic of the Vox really doesn't matter that the full market isn't there. It is being sold as a colour e-reader with basic tablet functionality so full market access is not necessary. Any apps you want can be sideloaded. So whether the market is there or not is really not a big deal.