Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
The ads are what pay for the site which allows you to use it for free.

They could go to a subscription service and make you pay instead of showing you ads.
I stand by what I said before. The adds slowing the web page down that much will cause people to stop using it. Charging for the web site will do the same thing. The best solution is to undo whatever they did to slow it down. ESPN Boxing is also loading slow because of ads. I will drop them too unless their is a solution like RSS or mobile. I have no problem with ads. I ignore them, unless they cause a big slow down.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
TeleRead has great e-book related content that compliments this and other sites. It is certainly not "going away," and even this ad change is not that significantly different than it was before the site's ownership changed.

Yes, the ads slow the site down, but that is more of a reason to use ad-blockers, use the mobile link, or go with RSS, instead of simply walking away from all that content. Do yourself a favor and check out those options first!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #18
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
TeleRead has great e-book related content that compliments this and other sites. [...]
They sure do say nice things about MobileRead. They also publish a bunch of eBook-related content that makes a nice complement to this site...

Xenophon
(who is just yanking Steve's chain a little bit)

Last edited by Xenophon; 03-31-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Ficks speelung misteaks
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
TeleRead has great e-book related content that compliments this and other sites. It is certainly not "going away," and even this ad change is not that significantly different than it was before the site's ownership changed.

Yes, the ads slow the site down, but that is more of a reason to use ad-blockers, use the mobile link, or go with RSS, instead of simply walking away from all that content. Do yourself a favor and check out those options first!
I did check out the RSS option. No help when I click on link to read same bulls***. I goggled for the mobile link and got crap for my trouble. It dosen't matter how good the damn content is if you can't read it because the page won't load. Then after the page loads and you click on a link you get to wait again. I feel pretty stupid when I put up with crap like that. There are too many other options on the web to put up with that. If you have the mobile link please post it and I will try that. It is more then a slight difference here in Manila. Takes forever to load. All other web pages I use except teleread and espn boxing load instantly. If they don't shape up on this issue I hope they do go away for real.

Last edited by amgoforth; 03-31-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
amgoforth
Groupie

Mobileread is also not idiots who kill the web page with ads. They have more sense then that and I imagine these others will wise up too someday. Won't matter to me though and many others like me who will never say anything about it. They will just stop using these sites. When I came back from Iraq the 1st time the Internet had changed. One could no longer type in a search in Google and find what you are looking for right away. It had become a process of going through allot of junk. Guess what, I am not going to do that unless it is very important to do so. As far as I am concerned they can shove all those adds up their ***.

Last edited by amgoforth; 03-31-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #21
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Have you tried setting up a google reader account and reading the feed like that? If you install the Google Chrome web browser and use that to access reader.google.com I think you will find the speed acceptable. For Teleread I rarely have to click through - most of the article expands inside Google Reader.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #22
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Yea, installing another web browser and opening up another entire set of vulnerabilities is the right answer. Hmm... (I insist on going down to 1 browser engine when I fix someone's PC, and for good reason!)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
Yes my friend, but it takes too long to load, and I live in a third world country.
Use Firefox with the add-on FLASHBLOCK. That way, you won't be bothered by these flas-based adverts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Yea, installing another web browser and opening up another entire set of vulnerabilities is the right answer. Hmm... (I insist on going down to 1 browser engine when I fix someone's PC, and for good reason!)
Most problems are caused by Internet Explorer and people who don't know what they are doing. I've never had an issue using Firefox. Plus with the add-ons Flashblock and AdBlock Plus, Teleread becomes a lot nicer to read.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #25
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Every single browser engine is a major security risk: Chrome has had plenty of critical bugs fixed. One per system is a VERY good rule, and the casual suggestion to people that they install a browser to bypass intentionally-broken website functionality is just bluntly ridiculous from a security standpoint.

Blocking adverts by-default hurts independent news providers (Ars did a very good article on this), and besides, you may note that my objection to Teleread is not advert-based, and never has been.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm not really bothered by static ads. But it's the flashing, popping, eye catching adverts that really bother me. Plus, some adverts these days have sound. So the only way to get rid of the bothersome ads is to get rid of them all or most of them. We've already gotten rid of most popup adverts.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #27
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Every single browser engine is a major security risk: Chrome has had plenty of critical bugs fixed. One per system is a VERY good rule, and the casual suggestion to people that they install a browser to bypass intentionally-broken website functionality is just bluntly ridiculous from a security standpoint.
The OP is having serious bandwidth issues reading content in the Philippines. I don't know what you mean by "intentionally-broken website functionality", but I stand by my suggestion that a) reading the content as an RSS feed will help, b) Google Reader does a good job of that, and c) Google Chrome is a good way of accessing Google Reader.

I think "bluntly ridiculous" indicates ridiculous paranoia. I use Safari, Firefox, Chrome and sometimes Opera, and have yet to have any issues. I keep my Mac fully up to date, and use a simple NAT setup. Maybe I am ridiculously lucky?
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #28
DawnFalcon
Banned

I mean by pushing slow-loading flash adverts, they're deliberately breaking their own site. It's the kind of PR own-goal which tends to follow corporate purchases. And jumping through hoops to read websites is silly. If they don't bother with the basics, find the news elsewhere.

And you're using a Mac, which is...less problematical than a PC. I think you're still being reckless, mind you...
Old 04-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I don't get it. I'm on IE8, 1.5mb dsl, and this web site loads in less than 5 seconds for me every time. Very few other web sites load as fast for me, especially the major news web sites. Instead of complaining, I was going to complement them.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #30
amgoforth
Groupie

Teleread Speed back up to normal.

Teleread Speed back up to normal. Somebody listened. If it slows down again I will try the Chrome option.