Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
chili_666
chili_666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Help me justify an upgrade...

Hi there,

I have been using a PRS 500 for... erm... I don´t know 2 years? It accompanied me on at least two major vacations, so it must be 2 years...

I can´t even remember when I last read a paper book.

Anyway, now since the 700 has come out, I was thinking about an upgrade. There are several reasons why I would like to upgrade:
  • bigger memory- more books without expansion cards
  • way better ui - the one of the 500 is cr*p
  • faster page turns - I do read a lot and fast
  • integrated light - this more of an added bonus, than a real reason
  • better pdf-support - I don´t read that many of them, but if I do it turns into a major task to be able to read them properly

But the reports on here haven`t exactly been absolutely positive.

Especially glare and contrast seem to be a bit on the bad side, when compared to the 505. But how about the 500? Is the screen better or worse?

I found a side by side pic on http://www.mobiletechreview.com/gadg...er-PRS-700.htm. But there it could be lighting or anything that makes the 700 look like it has a lot less contrast. It don´t trust pics all the way and would rather trust the mobileread-users.

It´s the only thing holding me back... so I would appreciate it, if anyone could confirm or dispell my doubts.

Thanks.

Chili
chili_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
socalpimp
socalpimp began at the beginning.

Device: prs505(broken), Bebook
Its not good in person, its not worth the money.
socalpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
The 700 really does have less contrast. Is it a big deal? It depends....

If you hold it side by side with your 505, it's going to be very apparent. As much as you've already used your 500, even if you don't directly compare, it'll be very apparent.

I had seen the 500, 505 and the kindle before I got my 700. I can tell the difference, and again direct comparisons make the 700 suffer. But when I read....it doesn't bug me in the slightest.

On the other hand, I can't imagine $400 worth of reasons to upgrade from a 500 to a 700, unless you read in the dark a LOT. The page turn speed is a significant improvement from the 500, but it would have to really bother you now to make it worth it, in my opinion.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the contrast is a problem, but no worse than the 500..

its all in the Light. if you need the light, get the 700, if not. the 505 will do,

if you buy books, get the kindle if you dont put it in your pocket. (i do with my 700, kindles dont fit)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Tectonic
Tech Lust
Tectonic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, HP iPaq 210
I haven't had any glare problems with mine and since I've never owned a 500-505 before, the contrast is a non-issue as well. The light though is great. I love it.

Your best bet is to go to your local sony store and read on a demo for a bit. Do it without comparing the 700 side by side with the 505. After 15-20 minutes of reading, you'll know whether it's worth $400 to buy one.

Note that it could go both ways.
Tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I'm kinda in the same boat but the fact is I have a PRS-500 and I like it. I really don't have a reason to upgrade because my 500 works fine and there hasn't been a significant leap in the technology. When that happens or my reader breaks, then I'll upgrade but not before.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm not sure what to tell you. It's going to be tough for you to see a 700 since they aren't available where you are. If you can get an opportunity to check one out, take it. I saw one myself and I thought it looked great, but I know a lot of people who have had other eink devices find the contrast frustrating.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
Tectonic
Tech Lust
Tectonic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, HP iPaq 210
I didn't check where you lived before I replied. I'm afraid that you'll have to go with features/benefits of both devices and make an educated decision based on that.
Tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili_666 View Post
  • bigger memory- more books without expansion cards
  • way better ui - the one of the 500 is cr*p
  • faster page turns - I do read a lot and fast
  • integrated light - this more of an added bonus, than a real reason
  • better pdf-support - I don´t read that many of them, but if I do it turns into a major task to be able to read them properly

Especially glare and contrast seem to be a bit on the bad side, when compared to the 505. But how about the 500? Is the screen better or worse?
These all are good valid reasons for upgrade from 500. Contrast is the same as 500. With light on, as mentioned already, it's much better.
I use it few hours a day, in different places. It does have glare but I can always find a position where it's not a problem.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
the way i see it;

If you have to pose the question in the first place, then stay where you are
and enjoy your 505 because comparing the non-comparable will have you
get all bent out of shape (sooner or later)

there seems to be a problem with those who are in the 500 camp vs. new comers
to 7series.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
save your $$ for another year, see what the next Sony brings
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
loboMuerto
loboMuerto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505, Palm TX
I would buy a 505 again, just because I hate the way light reflects on the 700 when you read with strong external light sources, and the contrast does make a difference using certain fonts. I also don't like the mathematics:

PRS700 = $399.99 + S&H

PRS505 = $269.99 (from Vanns.com, no S&H)
Kingston 2Gb SD Card = $6.25 (from Amazon, you can use it with some other devices, so it's better than internal memory in terms of usage).
Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light = $12.96 (from Amazon, you can use it with pBooks, doesn't drain your Readers battery, it's great when you are looking for those damn keys)
Total: $289.2 (+ batteries for the lamp, and maybe a pen and a notebook for your annotations)
loboMuerto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
ksri99
ksri99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC
My opinion is, if you do not have any eBook reader, PRS700 is great. Since you already have 500, and this is a fast evolving market, I would wait. The benefits you are getting with 700 is not worth full price of $399 (IMO). There are lots of eBook makers who are coming out with innovative ideas and I'm sure, before end of 2009, we might see lot better models with more competitive pricing. I'm sure, no one wants to end up spending the $399 and then again, within few months, looking into another eBook reader which is lot better. But if someone does not have an eBook reader, I'm very happy with PRS700. Contrast issues are not that big of a worry, unless you are comparing with something else.
ksri99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I upgraded from a 500 to a 700. In my experience the screen contrast and apparent resolution are about the same, but the UI and speed for loading books is VASTLY better on the 700. That improved speed is a really big deal if you are not a PC user. Sony's software on the PC pre-paginates LRF files; Calibre does not (because Kovid quite understandably does not wish to reverse engineer Sony's pagination algorithm). Thus, if you use Calibre, you find yourself waiting for pagination of any book when first opened. The 700 is 4x - 5x faster for the first opening of an LRF file (according to my stop-watch on a semi-random selection of large eBooks). This is the difference between being reluctant to open a different book (due to the delay) and just doing it without thought.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
I had the best of reasons to upgrade. I dropped my 500 and broke it. Honest my love, it was an accident, honest!
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote