Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
If it is released as an ebook for Kindle I may give it a go. Never managed with the Potter thing but then I was not exactly the target audience now was I
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #17
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It seems like it is in fashion to dis things that are popular. the Harry Potter series, nay franchise, probably the most popular and best selling books written in most people here's lifetime... and also exteemly popular and top money making movies.

I'm not saying everyone did or had to like it... but give some respect where it is due. The popularity was no fluke, and I for one am sure I will be getting Rowling's new book.

BOb

True.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Well many of the kids who were young when the first one came out are now young adults, who are probably ripe for the picking for her "grownup" material. (my oldest daughter was 7 or 8, and will be 22 soon) She never was really into the books much, though.
Lol, I reckon a lot of those readers can be categorized as just adults - no young prefix. First read it when I was 13 back in 1998. Just a couple of years shy of 30 now. For folks who were the same age as Harry when the book was released, they'd already be 25~26 now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #19
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Potter may have been mediocre, but it did breathe new life into fantasy the way Star Wars helped sci-fi. I doubt we'd have had the wide spectrum of fantasy available today if she hadn't published it.

Sometimes a mediocre work at the right time is better than a masterpiece at the wrong one.
In the nautical world it is said that the incoming tide lifts all boats.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #20
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Must remember that one, excellent.

However - "whose Twilight series at least partially filled the gap opened by the conclusion of the Potter stories. "

Eh ?
Rather like any other magicky wizardy "childrens" books then - oh, or vampirey, forgot that.....

And while praising her appeal to all ages, the article then say's it's tricky for an author once they're categorised as a child's author.......
I think she'll manage.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 02-24-2012 at 03:33 AM.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #21
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I loved the Harry Potter books and I am looking forward to what Ms. Rowling does next. I don't understand why people who don't like her books feel the need to come into this thread to announce that they don't care about this announcement. Good for you, I guess?
Even though I never could get into the Potter books, I have a huge respect for her success as an author, and am quite interested to see what her new novel will be like. I don't have to personally like the books for myself, to recognize that she had the knack for mass appeal and give her kudos for it.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #22
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Street cred or what ......

spindlegirl
Evangelist
spindlegirl

I've only just spotted this !

Wow, talk about a classy address !

Go spindlegirl....

And may yer thermals stay secure ......

[ Have some warming karma..... ]

Last edited by carpetmojo; 02-24-2012 at 06:27 AM.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Potter may have been mediocre, but it did breathe new life into fantasy the way Star Wars helped sci-fi. I doubt we'd have had the wide spectrum of fantasy available today if she hadn't published it.
Love it, hate it, or just plain don't care... I don't believe HP has contributed in any way to a "wider spectrum of fantasy available." Brought more young readers to the fantasy genre? Certainly. No doubt about it. And that's no small achievement. But it didn't do anything to increase or affect the variety of fantasy available in the genre. All the various fantasy tropes and subgenres were pretty much the same post-HP as they were pre-HP. No new ground broken.

So while it may seem annoying to some that things that are popular tend to automatically get dissed... I find it equally annoying when things that are popular get attributed with lofty achievements beyond their popularity. Isn't it enough that you enjoyed it? It should be.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Where's the barf bag?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #25
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And 20 years from now, I suppose she'll announce plans for an ebook edition of said work-in-progress?
Actually Little, Brown announced that they would be publishing the physical AND ebook flavors of the book.

Of course that doesn't mean that what they were infering is that they would publish the ebook 18 years after the physical book release, but I can hope.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #26
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Where's the barf bag?
No that is reserved for the Twilight series...which I still don't understand how in the Gods' names my wife can enjoy. She universally pans the writting and thinks the themes are horrible, but she has also read the series at least 4 times over now.

Frankly I, and she at least espouses this, worry about books like that seeing as how I am going to have a daughter in the next few weeks. I personally don't think it is a particularly enriching reading experience or good that the take away message from the books is that obsessive personalities and stalking relationships are both normal, good and to be wanted.

I really don't want my daughter reading books like that until she is very much old enough to parse out the horse pucky from it all.

As the books would have you believe, you only truely love someone if you are willing to stalk them and conversly someone only really loves you if they stalk you.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #27
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I never thought much of Star Wars as sci-fi, although as fantasy and allegory it had a certain appeal.
It was all scientifically explained by those Muddy Florians.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #28
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Love it, hate it, or just plain don't care... I don't believe HP has contributed in any way to a "wider spectrum of fantasy available." Brought more young readers to the fantasy genre? Certainly. No doubt about it. And that's no small achievement. But it didn't do anything to increase or affect the variety of fantasy available in the genre. All the various fantasy tropes and subgenres were pretty much the same post-HP as they were pre-HP. No new ground broken.

So while it may seem annoying to some that things that are popular tend to automatically get dissed... I find it equally annoying when things that are popular get attributed with lofty achievements beyond their popularity. Isn't it enough that you enjoyed it? It should be.
Very nicely put.

IMO popularity is no measure of greatness, or even competence; witness the inordinate number of awful television shows, movies, books, magazines, YouTube videos, etc. Popularity generally is a good measure of how popular something is, and that's about it. Teenagers and younger are immensely conscious of peer acceptance and will follow the trend of almost anything whether it be clothes, music, or, wait for it...books.

I think JK Rowling is a writer of moderate quality, she certainly isn't awful, but IMO she isn't superlative, hence "mediocre." I'm not a "hater" but then again I'm not a "fanboy."
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Well spoken...and at least you did not have a conniption at the "suggestion" of an insult of the ALL MIGHTY HP... I reckon there will be riots on the streets of Europe in 500 years time if anyone tries to purposely delete a copy of a HP novel.... Armageddon is coming then..

Congrats on your incoming Daughter.....

Alas I forget many people like to be purely entertained when reading.... Pulp Fiction it is..... Twilight Wouldn't touch it with a 3 meter barge pole....

I'll stick to the boring JM Coetzee and Yeats, and Bulgakov....etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
No that is reserved for the Twilight series...which I still don't understand how in the Gods' names my wife can enjoy. She universally pans the writting and thinks the themes are horrible, but she has also read the series at least 4 times over now.

Frankly I, and she at least espouses this, worry about books like that seeing as how I am going to have a daughter in the next few weeks. I personally don't think it is a particularly enriching reading experience or good that the take away message from the books is that obsessive personalities and stalking relationships are both normal, good and to be wanted.

I really don't want my daughter reading books like that until she is very much old enough to parse out the horse pucky from it all.

As the books would have you believe, you only truely love someone if you are willing to stalk them and conversly someone only really loves you if they stalk you.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #30
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It seems like it is in fashion to dis things that are popular. the Harry Potter series, nay franchise, probably the most popular and best selling books written in most people here's lifetime... and also exteemly popular and top money making movies.

I'm not saying everyone did or had to like it... but give some respect where it is due. The popularity was no fluke, and I for one am sure I will be getting Rowling's new book.

BOb
Way the world works friend. Electronics too. Android popular -boom! Apple popular-boom! Sports too. Brady -boom!
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote