Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Buying books on the device

So,

I am mostly happy with my new T1 (although it feels cheaper than the 650, it's still a reasonably nice device, no freezes here), though there's one thing I am not really all that enthusiastic about.

I logged in to my Reader Store account after setup. Just for fun, a few hours later, I tried to buy a book on the (US) Reader Store, which worked fine, BUT DID NOT ASK FOR MY PASSWORD AGAIN.

Today, a few days later, I tapped on "Account" and was asked for it (the password). I did not enter it, tapped on "Cancel" and tried to buy another book which again worked like a charm without the need for a password.

Does that mean that if I ever lose my T1 the person who finds it will be able to buy all the books he wants with my credit card? Can I somehow stop the T1 from allowing me to buy books without a password?

Can I (and this may be the stupidest question of the year, but I really don't know) somehow "log out" again?

Thanks in advance,
Matthias
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Check your browers settings on your T1. There is a setting for saving passwords. Make sure it is off if you don't want your password saved.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
It automatically saves the password for the Reader Store. Nothing you can do about it apparently. Same as the software on the computer. As soon as you open the program it logs you into the Reader Store whether you want to or not.

Yep, in theory if you lose your reader anyone can happily buy as many books as they want. The thing to do in that case, is sign into the Reader Store from your computer, change the password and delete your credit card.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Check your browers settings on your T1. There is a setting for saving passwords. Make sure it is off if you don't want your password saved.
Not applicable for the Reader Store. Only other sites.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Yep, in theory if you lose your reader anyone can happily buy as many books as they want. The thing to do in that case, is sign into the Reader Store from your computer, change the password and delete your credit card.
Well, that's just wrong. What if I don't notice the theft immediately?

There's a reason the iPhone, for example, asks for your iTunes password every time you download or update apps & music. I hope they fix this.

Thanks for your answer, though.

Matthias
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Well, that's just wrong. What if I don't notice the theft immediately?

There's a reason the iPhone, for example, asks for your iTunes password every time you download or update apps & music. I hope they fix this.

Thanks for your answer, though.

Matthias

I agree with you, it's wrong. I would be upset to find this out after the fact as well. I don't have a T-1 yet, but I'll try and remember NOT to buy books with it and only do that through my computer. The old Reader Store software (that doesn't work with the T-1) does require me to log in each time. And that's the way I like it.

However, if your device did get stolen and someone buy a bunch of books, then I suspect you could dispute it with your credit card company.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post

There's a reason the iPhone, for example, asks for your iTunes password every time you download or update apps & music.
Matthias
Because too many kids were buying too many Smurfberries.

It's not a feature that came initially, only when people demanded it.

So ask Sony to change it - companies don't realize it's a problem unless people ask.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
ScottyG
ScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Just a thought - can you use the Device Lock feature to at least give you a bit more security? That way if you left the reader somewhere, an attacker wouldn't be able to use it.

I haven't used this feature myself so I'm not sure if it works the way I'm assuming. Either way it's only a lame workaround and doesn't address the valid problem you've brought up.

Scott
ScottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
There is an option, under 'My Account' to disable 'one-click' purchases. I don't have the device with me, so I don't recall the exact name of the option. But I think if you uncheck that, you will be prompted to enter your password every time - at least that's the way it worked in the past, but I have not tested it recently.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
There is an option, under 'My Account' to disable 'one-click' purchases. I don't have the device with me, so I don't recall the exact name of the option. But I think if you uncheck that, you will be prompted to enter your password every time - at least that's the way it worked in the past, but I have not tested it recently.
Nope. It just means you add the item to your cart and then manually click on checkout to buy it. All it's doing is adding another step to the process. It's not stopping the purchase nor does it ask for the password again.

The only thing I can think of is not to have a credit card on file and use gift cards only. However you'll have the same problem but it will be limited to the gift card balance in your account rather than someone going kooky buying unlimited books on your credit card.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Nope. It just means you add the item to your cart and then manually click on checkout to buy it. All it's doing is adding another step to the process. It's not stopping the purchase nor does it ask for the password again.

The only thing I can think of is not to have a credit card on file and use gift cards only. However you'll have the same problem but it will be limited to the gift card balance in your account rather than someone going kooky buying unlimited books on your credit card.
Are we talking about the software or the device? Because I just tested it on my PRS950 and it prompts me for my password every time, if I check that option. I don't know whether the T1 works differently.

Also, I have PRS+ installed and all my purchases are over 3G, not wifi. I don't know if that makes any difference - but I doubt it.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The 950 prompts you for a password. The T1 does not. Maybe it was an intentional change or maybe it was an oversight.

Like Shopaholic says, "buy now" controls whether the book goes into your cart or is purchased immediately. The T1 still prompts you for a password if you want to see your account information, however.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The 950 prompts you for a password. The T1 does not. Maybe it was an intentional change or maybe it was an oversight.

Like Shopaholic says, "buy now" controls whether the book goes into your cart or is purchased immediately. The T1 still prompts you for a password if you want to see your account information, however.
I guess it was naive of me to assume the store worked in the same way. But by now, I should have learned - when in doubt, ask Bookwom_Girl
Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I just bought a book from the Sony Store on the T1. I have 'Buy Now' turned off and it did not ask me for a password.

I'm in the US.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #15
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I just bought a book from the Sony Store on the T1. I have 'Buy Now' turned off and it did not ask me for a password.

I'm in the US.
According to the post by Bookworm_Girl, my suggestion applies only to the 950, not the T1. My apologies.