Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Exclamation Class Set of 25 eReaders - What's Recommended?

I might be in a position to purchase a set of 25 eReaders for a ninth grade class

We are interested in sharing reading, and I am aware of the following important considerations:

1) durability
2) cost
3) wifi IS available at school
4) battery life
5) my ability to share or assign reading
6) a really good dictionary (or good dictionaries) on board
7) the ability to bookmark and highlight text

I believe that I will need to purchase a) the device; b) a waranty against damage; c) covers

Really need help here -- What are other considerations that I have not yet thought of? And which devices are recommended?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I think you need to also let us know where in the world you are; I think ninth grade could be in a few places.

Note wifi could be a blessing and a curse! It would make it easier to get the texts onto the devices, but your students could be off browsing and texting during class...

What sort of books are you intending to set? If it's just novels then 6" eInk readers makes sense, but if you're looking at books with pictures or complex diagrams you'd want something bigger and probably based around colour screens.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I think you need to also let us know where in the world you are; I think ninth grade could be in a few places.

Note wifi could be a blessing and a curse! It would make it easier to get the texts onto the devices, but your students could be off browsing and texting during class...

What sort of books are you intending to set? If it's just novels then 6" eInk readers makes sense, but if you're looking at books with pictures or complex diagrams you'd want something bigger and probably based around colour screens.

Graham
Thank you for asking these good questions!

I am in California. This is a one-time opportunity to use grant funds, so I need to be both diligent, and in a hurry (a bad combinatoin).

The students will be reading short stories and novels. The expense of the downloads is a concern, so one of my questions is whether I will be able to legitimately "share" a single copy with the class. Don't know if this is possible, but would like to find out!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
If you're going to be reading out-of-copyright classics then they can be downloaded for free from sites like this one and Project Gutenberg. Works still under copyright would almost certainly need to be purchased individually (unless someone knows of any special dispensations for educators here?)

You can share a copy of a book legitimately across some eReaders if they're all assigned to the same account (e.g. all on one Amazon account) but I assume there are limits here and I'll let someone with more knowledge answer that.

I'd suggest a set of 6" eInk readers, as this would also give you the opportunity to hold some classes outside in the California sun, and the battery life is about ten times better than that of LCD tablets. One of your big considerations will be charging up and loading books onto a set of 25 devices, so the fewer times you have to do that the better!

The 6" eInk front-runners (and thus easiest to justify) in the US are the Amazon Kindle 3, the B&N Nook Classic and the Sony PRS-650. I don't know the Nook so I'll let others weigh in there, but you can bookmark and highlight text on both the Kindle and the Sony, which both have dictionaries. I have the latter, and it's a joy to use, but more expensive than the Kindle.

I'll reaffirm your need to get suitable covers; although the devices themselves are pretty durable the screens are not, and a knock with a hard object could wreck them.

You may find you can save cost by going for smaller 5" readers such as the Sony PRS-350, which would also be easier to store and have a longer battery life, but in the UK at least these are still more expensive than the 6" Kindles.

You may also run into difficulties with some devices as you may need to manage multiple accounts on the same computer, so this might need some discussion here.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would suggest the Nook or Kindle because of the price point. They both have WiFi and are easy to use. They both have a dictionary and you can highlight and bookmark them easily enough. The Kindle is suppose to be easier for highlighting, bookmarking, and looking words up then the Nook.

If the Sony 350 is still on sale it could work as well. It would probably be a good thing that it does not have WiFi because it would prevent the kids from getting distracted on the internet in class. The donwside is that it is a 5 inch screen.

All of them have covers that you can purchase, you will have to do some research on that. I would think you can get square trade warrenties for all three models.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
How much would you (approx.) be able to pay per reader? I'd probably have a look at the Sony, Kindle, Nook and perhaps Pocketbook e-book readers.

The Sony readers have touchscreens, but with the exception of the most pricey model (the PRS-950) don't have wi-fi; they come with the most dictionaries (two monolingual English dictionaries, 10 translation dictionaries: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch). They are also possibly the sturdiest devices, as they have metal casing (my Sony PRS-505 is built like a tank, and has thus far survived several falls, knock on wood).

The Kindle is cheaper (when paying full price. I just bought the Sony PRS-350 on sale for $129, but if I had paid full price it would have been $179); it doesn't have a touchscreen, but it does have wi-fi, and also a 3g model with free internet access. It also has a (pricey) large screen model, which would be (relatively) good for textbooks in PDF format. It comes with a pre-loaded English monolingual dictionary (or perhaps two Eng. dictionaries, I'm not quite sure).

The Nook offers wi-fi and 3g models, but does not feature the new Pearl screen that the Sony and Kindle models have. It has less battery life than the Sony and Kindle models, due to an added LCD screen at the bottom that features a touchscreen. The e-ink part of the device does not have a touch screen, only the LCD part. To be honest, the Nook has never really appealed to me, but there are people here who swear by it, so I imagine it's worth taking a look at. It does have a dictionary included (an English monolingual dictionary, as far as I know).

I believe Pocketbook offers discounts on bulk orders, so you might want to have a look at them, too. They offer many different reader models, and can read many formats, but they, like the Nook, don't have the Pearl screens with better contrast, but rather use the older, Vizplex screens.

As for sharing - I think that with the Sony and Kindle you can have up to about 5 or 6 readers on one account, so 1 book could be shared among 5 or 6 people. However, if several people were tied to one account, you'd have to make sure that the students couldn't buy books on that account without permission (I imagine that could be done somehow, but offhand I don't know how). The Nook also offers some sort of sharing feature, but I don't believe that there is any way to pay for one book and share it with more than 5 or 6 people at a time, so for each book you'd be paying for about 5 copies (or so) for the entire class. Hopefully someone with more experience with that sort of thing can give you a better answer than mine.

If you are reading books in the public domain, you wouldn't have to worry about paying for downloads, as they would be free.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Okay, suppose that I need the following, then:

1) durability2) cost
3) wifi IS available at school (but I don't need for use of devices)4) battery life
5) my ability to share or assign reading
6) a really good dictionary (or good dictionaries) on board
7) the ability to bookmark and highlight text
8) I want kids to be able to LISTEN to their books

I really appreciate the advice and support. The Sony is more appealing right now because of the aluminum (more durable?) case. But I'm still searching.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Listening to their books probably means the Kindle which has test to Speech. I am not certain if the Sony has that option.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Listening to their books probably means the Kindle which has test to Speech. I am not certain if the Sony has that option.
Sony does not have that option. But also remember that a lot of eBooks for the Kindle have TTS turned off. So it may happen that the eBook the teacher wants to use might not be TTS compatible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post

8) I want kids to be able to LISTEN to their books
Sony (the 650 and 950 models) and Kindle can play mp3s and Sony can also play some sort of AAC format, so both can play audio books (I've never used this people on my Sony, so I can't comment on it any further). Sony doesn't have the text to speech feature, Kindle does. If this is a must have for you, then go with the Kindle. The Kindle is priced very nicely and is well-loved by its users. It is easy to buy books for via the web-browser, has a great bookstore, and a great screen, text-to-speech, and from what I've seem it seems easy to use. I'd love to pick up a Kindle DX, and certainly wouldn't say no to having a Kindle 3 as well as my Sony. Its downsides are that it is a bit less portable than the Sony, doesn't have a touch screen, has plastic casing, is not as good with PDFs, and can't read epub. Epub is the format used most in Overdrive library services. If you plan on using the library to help supply your students with books, this might be a big problem.

Sony is more pricey, but seems a bit more sturdy to me, and is more portable than the Kindle. It has more dictionaries (this is an important feature for me) than the Kindle, can take hand-written notes (the Kindle can only use it's keyboard for notes) as well as notes using the touch-screen keyboard. It handles PDFs better than the Kindle (pretty much the deciding feature for me when I was buying my first e-book reader; for you, though, it might not be important). It can also be used to download and read library books for free using Overdrive (or another similar system).

It's downsides are it's higher price, the lack of internet access in the less expensive models, and the fact that it can't read books from the Amazon store without breaking DRM and converting formats. Also, the lack of Text-to-speech (as mentioned).

It's not an easy decision, but both products have received great reviews and are well-loved by many users the world over. I with you luck with your project, and I love that you are spending so much time and energy to help your students. The world needs more teachers like that!

Here are links sites that have great video reviews of e-book readers:

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/

You might find some other features mentioned that I've neglected, so I suggest you take a look if you have the time.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
If you are wanting to read new books all at once that is impossible with any device, I'm not sure if the Sony does this but the kobo does (I don't the Kobo would suit what your wanting because of the lack of highlighting and more than one bookmark) is that you can sync up to six devices at once, Maybe with twenty five you could have groups of six reading the same book?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The PocketBook 602 has Text TO Speech. Highlighting and Dictionaries as well

What books will they be reading?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
The Nook also offers some sort of sharing feature, but I don't believe that there is any way to pay for one book and share it with more than 5 or 6 people at a time, so for each book you'd be paying for about 5 copies (or so) for the entire class. Hopefully someone with more experience with that sort of thing can give you a better answer than mine.
Technically, you can put your B&N/eReader-DRM-ed books on as many compatible devices as you like, as long as you're willing to "entrust" the user by entering your name and credit card number* to unlock the files on each and every one†.

But it looks like the Kindle or PocketBook may be best suited to the OP's need, given the dictionary and TTS requirements, and the PocketBook may have the best pricing if they really do offer bulk discounts.

* It's stored in a hash that can't be reversed to get the original info.

† Such are the joys of download once-use everywhere/no further activation required social DRM (well, until they make it so you have to both activate your device *and* unlock your individual purchases).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
I really appreciate the advice and support. The Sony is more appealing right now because of the aluminum (more durable?) case. But I'm still searching.
The screen is the only really fragile part and I would think that's going to be equally as fragile on any reader.

If I was going to buy 25 of anything I would consider customer service a big issue, and you can't do better than Amazon.

The Kindle 3 meets all your requirements, has the best price, and a huge selection of 3rd party covers to choose from. It's also very user friendly.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
The screen is the only really fragile part and I would think that's going to be equally as fragile on any reader.

If I was going to buy 25 of anything I would consider customer service a big issue, and you can't do better than Amazon.

The Kindle 3 meets all your requirements, has the best price, and a huge selection of 3rd party covers to choose from. It's also very user friendly.
I really like the feel of the Kindle, and the TTS is really important to me, BUT I'm very intent on teaching the students to download books for free from the library -- alas, this leaves Kindle out of the question.

Wish it didn't. I like the Kindle.

Tags
cost, education, school, set