Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #526
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
OK, here's an app that doesn't work: iScore. The sad thing is that it isn't the app's fault, but the poor touchscreen on the NC. iScore has two critical buttons in the extreme top right and left corners. You need to use them repeatedly to enter the lineups of the two teams (and also other scorekeeping functions). On my NC, those areas are so insensitive that I gave up after two innings and never did get either lineup right.

I don't know if anyone has ever figured out what causes the problem with the touchscreen -- personally I've made it work for every other app, but this one just frustrated me totally.
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #527
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMike View Post
OK, here's an app that doesn't work: iScore. The sad thing is that it isn't the app's fault, but the poor touchscreen on the NC. iScore has two critical buttons in the extreme top right and left corners. You need to use them repeatedly to enter the lineups of the two teams (and also other scorekeeping functions). On my NC, those areas are so insensitive that I gave up after two innings and never did get either lineup right.

I don't know if anyone has ever figured out what causes the problem with the touchscreen -- personally I've made it work for every other app, but this one just frustrated me totally.
Have you tried increasing the LCD density (temporarily if desired)?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #528
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'd forgotten about this approach, since I hadn't been having any real issues with the touchscreen. I bumped it up (using LCD Density from the Market) and it does seem better.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #529
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
I have some questions based on apps in this long thread, too numerous for separate posts:

Launchpad Lite: How do I get to the Prefs setting to tell it how many apps I want to display?

Button Savior: Does it have the Softkeys equivalent of double press to get Nookhome, single for ADW? If so, how/where to configure?

ADW: Are there any help files to find out how this thing works? It looks powerful but I feel I'm missing something (where is the prefs or settings;middle icon with blocks seems to list all apps but I've inadvertently dragged them to the individual screen view and can't get them off; can I make the icons bigger; how to put more icons in the "icon row", etc)

Browsing: When I'm in the B&N browser and click a link, I get a popup to select which browser, Dolphin or B&N. How do I tell it, when I'm in B&N always use B&N, when in Dolphin or everplace else use Dolphin.

I love this device, but I'm new to both the NC and android, so sorry if these are basic questions.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #530
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Well, I finally gave in to you guys. I'm rooted. Did it on a Mac.
I know this is old, but.... I'm getting very intrigued by this tablet and may add it to my arsenal.

Does it handle multi-touch ?

And is it expected to be upgradeable to Honeycomb - Android 3?

Last edited by kennyc; 03-27-2011 at 11:37 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #531
dschoemaker
Reading Fool
dschoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, 2x Nook Color, NST, IPad 1 & 3
kennyc,

It supports 'pinch to zoom' so if that's multi-touch then yes it does.

As to Honeycomb, there are already hackers out there putting Honeycomb on their NC's so it does work. However, if your looking for a more solid situation I would go with Android 2.2 or 2.3

For $200 this is a phenominal device and I don't know how you could go wrong.

Don.

Last edited by dschoemaker; 03-28-2011 at 05:55 PM.
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #532
dschoemaker
Reading Fool
dschoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, 2x Nook Color, NST, IPad 1 & 3
Scrabble.

I bought Scrabble from Handmark.com. Like many of you I'm willing to pay a decent amount for top quality games. But I had to tell it I had a HTC Hero to let me make the purchase from Handmark (it was the first platform that showed the android game).

Anyway, it plays, but it only uses a very small portion of the screen. Anyone found a way to expand it to use all the glorious real estate we have?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #533
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoemaker View Post
kennyc,

It supports 'pinch to zoom' so if that's multi-touch then yes it does.

As to Honeycomb, there are already hackers out there putting Honeycomb on their NC's so it does work. However, if your looking for a more solid situation I would go with Android 2.2 or 2.3

For $200 this is a phenominal device and I don't know how you could go wrong.

Don.

Yep, thanks that's probably enough to say "yes."
Old 03-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #534
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I know this is old, but.... I'm getting very intrigued by this tablet and may add it to my arsenal.
Don't do it kenny...resist. Why would you want to do it. It's a great piece of hardware at a great price. And best of all it has tons of working ROMs out there that work great on the nook. Plus its easy to restore to stock if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Does it handle multi-touch ?

And is it expected to be upgradeable to Honeycomb - Android 3?
Yes it supports multitouch, but only supports two finger touch. For the majority of the apps this is all that is needed but there are a few apps out there that make use of multi touch support(mostly games).

No there is not expectation that Honeycomb will be upgraded by B&N. There is a development version out there, based on the Preview HC, but the dev community has quit supporting it until Google releases the ASOP version of HC.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #535
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Don't do it kenny...resist. Why would you want to do it. It's a great piece of hardware at a great price. And best of all it has tons of working ROMs out there that work great on the nook. Plus its easy to restore to stock if need be.

Yes it supports multitouch, but only supports two finger touch. For the majority of the apps this is all that is needed but there are a few apps out there that make use of multi touch support(mostly games).

No there is not expectation that Honeycomb will be upgraded by B&N. There is a development version out there, based on the Preview HC, but the dev community has quit supporting it until Google releases the ASOP version of HC.

=X=
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #536
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
On the other hand, the NC's CyanogenMod 7 Gingerbread port is really shaping up nicely. In addition to the regular nightly releases, there are two brand new test builds on XDA, one which appears to have pretty much fixed the long-standing hardware-accelerated video playback problem and the other which is updating the UI to improve tablet usability.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #537
dimonic
dimonic began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I have played:

Pirates and Traders

on my NC.
There is one issue - in the map view, the country flag icons, and the ship icon are offset from the map-image itself, so it can be awkward to both identify correctly where one is, and to correctly tap on ones destination. I will try LCD Density to see if that can solve the problem.

Last edited by dimonic; 04-08-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Additional data.
dimonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #538
To Nook?
To Nook? began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMike View Post

New to the forum, and to forums in general, hope I don't break any protocols here.

Hey, OakdaleMike, I was wondering if you could give me an update on your experience with the iScore App on your Nook Color. My daughter has a NC and I was thinking of doing the autonooter thing to it (still don't really know anything about it) so I could score her softball games using that app. Your review has me thinking it's not worth the trouble.

Thanks for your help!
To Nook? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #539
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast

I suggest you head over to the iScore forum and see what folks are saying. People really love the app and it has some aspects that are really good for amateur baseball/softball. It now works just fine on my rooted NC, thanks to Scion's suggestion. One thing I will note, however, is if you are sitting in bright sunshine, it's not so good...
Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #540
To Nook?
To Nook? began at the beginning.

Thanks for the update. I was a little concerned about how the sun would affect visibility, but figured if the device couldn't handle the app in the first place then that wouldn't matter. Didn't know there was an iscore board, so I'll spend some time there, too. I appreciate your response!
To Nook? is offline   Reply With Quote