Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
The Daily - News Corp's iPad-only newspaper

News Corp to launch iPad only newspaper
BBC Business, 2 February 2011

"This Wednesday News Corporation is launching The Daily a digital only newspaper which will be published exclusively on the iPad tablet computer."

News Corp launches daily newspaper for iPad
BBC News Technology, 2 February 2011

"Our target audience is the 15 million Americans expected to own iPads in the next year," said Mr Murdoch.

News Corp takes leap of faith with The Daily

"News Corp's long-awaited iPad-only newspaper is finally expected to be launched today at an event co-hosted with Apple at New York's Guggenheim Museum."

Murdoch's iPad paper planned to launch today

"News Corp.'s Rupert Murdoch is to unveil The Daily today, a digital newspaper for the iPad, the tablet computer the media tycoon has said may be the savior of the struggling news industry."

On eve of 'The Daily' launch, rival iPad apps offer previews

"Ahead of News Corp's unveiling of The Daily digital newspaper on Wednesday, developers showed off competing iPad apps, including a social news app from The New York Times and a digital book platform from a former Apple designer."

A First Look at New York Times iPad App, News.Me

"Compare the above with NewsCorp's The Daily, Murdoch's 100-strong editorial team will produce its own articles and video content."

News Corp's The Daily iPad Newspaper Will Cost $1 a Week

"Bludgeoned with delays and rumors of its demise before it even launched, The Daily's set to launch in two weeks according to News Corp's son-of-Rupert, James Murdoch. The app, which Steve Jobs supposedly helped develop, will cost 99c weekly."

Last edited by boxcorner; 02-08-2011 at 02:19 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's free for two weeks. It's pretty nice....a mix of stories and video. Well done, IMHO. Don't know if I'll continue after the trial. I am so out of touch with having a daily newspaper.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Google News is all I need.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
The Daily App for ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Google News is all I need.
Agreed but I also read USAToday and like Flipboard too. I downloaded The Daily but so far not real impressed. It is nice but seems a bit shallow in content and I don't care about gossip and horoscopes. No section on tech, money, finanacial etc. Won't be paying for it either. Now if USAToday goes subscribtion, I will probably consider that.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Well we know this is inevitable:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/...free.mashable/
http://blogs.forbes.com/briancaulfie...one-by-a-blog/
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ad-no-problem/
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's kinda growing on me. If they would add a comics section with Dilbert, Foxtrot and the like, I'd subscribe for sure.

Lee
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for posting these interesting links.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
For those without an iPad you can see it here:
http://thedailyindexed.tumblr.com/

On the iPad I find the font too small and no way to adjust it. As others have said there are better and free apps to read the news. I do like the Sudoku puzzle.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I prefer the BBC News app myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
The app and the newspaper both have some problems but I think it's a strong first entry into a daily iPad newspaper genre. There are some quirks and performance issues with the navigation but the app provides some really interesting and unique features that make it stand out against the other news apps. As for the content, I think it's lacking in some areas. It needs a breaking news section, a tech section, a business section, and ways to customize the existing sections. The articles themselves are well written, in my opinion, although some may not like the Opinion section's neo-Conservative slant. I like The Daily, although I am not convinced on buying a subscription just yet. It will likely take me the full two weeks to decide.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I couldn't justify the subscription when apps like "Early Edition" aggregate RSS feeds into a newspaper experience far more personalized than "The Daily".
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I wasn't overly impressed. Between Flipboard and the many news apps, you get what you need. Also, I found page load times annoyingly slow-- what with the cute animations and all.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon

It is a bit of a slow app for sure. I'm liking it, though. I like the mix of story and video. Even the ads have been on the "cool" side. What I like about The Daily is that it's bringing me back into the world of general news. It's more like a magazine than a web site.

If I do subscribe, and I might, part of my motivation will be to encourage MORE such apps.

It is missing a tech section, but Flipboard with my Google Reader rss feeds does a terrific job of the tech news anyway. I like the daily precisely because it's not bringing me exactly the news I'm looking for. RSS feeds are great for that. But in a way, I get disconnected from the world as I don't watch the evening news on tv, don't read the newspaper, and my RSS feeds are all tech.

I like the quality of the stories much better than on USA Today, which allegedly isn't going to be free forever. And I like it a lot better than reading web based news sites. I just do.

$1 a week is priced right too.

Lee
Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I prefer the BBC News app myself.
But Harry, the BBC is actual real news. No fair comparing Apples to the new Murdoch GMO Lemon.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:17 AM   #15
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
... the BBC is actual real news ...
BBC is a mixture of news and entertainment. The former is sometimes combined with the latter. AP and Reuters both focus more on news, but sites that host AP contain advertising, as does the BBC, whereas Reuters has analysis and opinions, which is not news. I used to prefer the BBC, but increasingly now rely on Reuters.

Last edited by boxcorner; 02-06-2011 at 04:04 AM.