Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #76
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I have nothing against the Nook. I even came close to buying the wi-fi version when they introduced it at $149. But I cannot justify the purchase.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #77
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
What can you buy in the kobo or sony stores that Amazon's store doesn't have? Why would I want to buy a book from kobo or sony rather than Amazon? Their books do not have lower prices.
According to inkmesh, Kushiels Justice by jacqueline carey (part of a sci fi series I enjoyed) is 7.99 at amazon and b&n, but 7.09 at powells. I can buy from them for my nook, but they don't offer anything in mobi.

That's just one example. I also enjoy using kobos coupons, which they often have for 1 or 2 dollars off a book. Again, it's in epub, so yay for the nooks, but not so yay for trying to read it on a kindle.

Quote:
I have an epub reader for library books (Cybook Opus). I love this little reader, but the epub format is not superior to mobi. I'm always glad to get back to reading my free and purchased books on my Kindle.
That's nice.

Quote:
I have nothing against the Nook. I even came close to buying the wi-fi version when they introduced it at $149. But I cannot justify the purchase.
Who cares? That's not what this thread is about. Wtf is wrong with you kindle owners anyway? I do not care who wants to buy a nook or a kindle, I started this thread about shopping around for books for the NOOK.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #78
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
What can you buy in the kobo or sony stores that Amazon's store doesn't have? Why would I want to buy a book from kobo or sony rather than Amazon? Their books do not have lower prices.

different ebook store sites run specials and deals and reduced prices from time to time.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #79
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I agree with what someone posted earlier about shopping around: there's really no need to considering Amazon has the biggest ebook selection AND the lowest prices. Even post-agency model, Inkmesh still found that Amazon had the lowest prices.

Another thing to think about is that Random House, the biggest US publisher has not signed into the Agency pricing contract. So that means Amazon (who can more afford to take a loss on those books) can price them at whatever they like... Sony and B&N on the other hand.... well THEY can too, but given the Inkmesh numbers pre-agency model time, they either wouldn't or couldn't.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #80
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Easier to read on which other devices? There aren't a lot of "dedicated" e-ink readers that you can put B&N books on, certainly not Sony or Kobo. Devices like phones, PC/Mac, iPad, Pandigital - you can read from everywhere with each store's reader apps.
Not necessarily eInk Devices, but the Jetbook and Jetbook-Lite as well as some back-lit LCD readers support Barnes and Noble DRM (Or have the Nook application pre installed).

Quote:
I'm more likely to buy from Amazon based on price and selection - as well as the fact that there are 4 of us on my account and we can all share the books.
Yes, and you can do the same with the Nook as well... and of course like with the Kindle, you have to be willing to let other know what you are reading.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #81
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Not necessarily eInk Devices, but the Jetbook and Jetbook-Lite as well as some back-lit LCD readers support Barnes and Noble DRM (Or have the Nook application pre installed).
--
Bill
Out of curiousity, does that mean the Aluratek Libre Pro also has B&N support?
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #82
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Out of curiousity, does that mean the Aluratek Libre Pro also has B&N support?
Nope, the support is built into firmware, not hardware. Ectaco decided to support it for their Jetbook and Jetbook-Lite lines (alas not their Jetbook Mini Line). As far as I know, the Libre Pro only supports ADE.

--
Bill
Old 09-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #83
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Pardon my ignorance. This a bit off-topic, but still addressing multiple-format flexibility. (which is missing in the Kindle, btw, despite being able to force the round peg into a square hole)

With the Astak folks can use any FW out there intended for the equivalent Hanlons. Is there that much difference between a Libre and a Jetbook that they can't interchange FW?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #84
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Pardon my ignorance. This a bit off-topic, but still addressing multiple-format flexibility. (which is missing in the Kindle, btw, despite being able to force the round peg into a square hole)

With the Astak folks can use any FW out there intended for the equivalent Hanlons. Is there that much difference between a Libre and a Jetbook that they can't interchange FW?
You might want to check into the Jetbook forums for that. I do believe that some people have had some success with installing different firmware, but I don't believe the process was necessarily all that intuitive.

--
Bill
Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #85
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
You might want to check into the Jetbook forums for that. I do believe that some people have had some success with installing different firmware, but I don't believe the process was necessarily all that intuitive.

--
Bill
Oh, its not that important. Just responding to the casual comment about B&N on the Jetbook.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #86
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I agree with what someone posted earlier about shopping around: there's really no need to considering Amazon has the biggest ebook selection AND the lowest prices. Even post-agency model, Inkmesh still found that Amazon had the lowest prices.

Another thing to think about is that Random House, the biggest US publisher has not signed into the Agency pricing contract. So that means Amazon (who can more afford to take a loss on those books) can price them at whatever they like... Sony and B&N on the other hand.... well THEY can too, but given the Inkmesh numbers pre-agency model time, they either wouldn't or couldn't.
Fictionwise had a 50% off coupon a few weeks back. Kobo regularly runs a $1 or $2 off coupon deal (admittedly not good on some publishers...the ones I wanted...grrr). Maybe Amazon has the best price selection without sales...but they don't have ebook coupon sales like Kobo or fictionwise. It's kind of like groceries at Walmart - yes, generally, they have the best price, but you can get a better deal on a sale at your local Meijer store (or whatever grocery store for non-Midwesterners).

And sometimes they don't have a book that the other stores do, either.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #87
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
The simple answer to this is "epub books" - OK, Kindle owners may not be limited to buying from Amazon, but unless you own an eReader that will take Amazon-formatted books, there's no point comparing to Amazon e-book prices.

I specifically bought an epub based reader and one without wifi or 3G wireless access - because of the issues of geographical limitations and the ability of Amazon to access a Kindle directly - whether for firmware updates or to "correct" distribution errors by sucking back books they later discover they shouldn't have sold (á là 1984).

I love Amazon - and I'm a big customer of theirs. Heck, I even bought my Sony Reader through amazon.co.uk. But in part because I am a long-time customer, I don't particularly want to mess around with my account with them to be able to buy the books I want to buy, getting around the geographical restrictions (for which I do not blame them) however I can. Let's say it's a strategic decision on my part.

The day Amazon starts selling epub books, I will probably buy loads of reading material from them, but for now it's simply not a possibility.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote