Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
arielito
arielito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Angry KPW flashing issue --every single page arghhh

Hi there,

I just got my new Kindle paperwhite and I love everything about it. However, I have been noticing lately that even with the option of refreshing every 6 pages turned on, sometimes it begins refreshing every single page which is quite distracting. I´ve read only about many people with the same problem saying that it has something to do with the temperature, but quite frankly I totally hate it.

Is there a hack to, say, have the flashing every 10 or so pages? or at least the 6 pages but being sure that it will stay that way?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you,

Arielito
arielito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Eh, I'd place a call to Kindle support if it's that much of a bother.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
arielito

Yeah, I guess you´re right. I ´m thinking about doing it as I don´t find any hack or something. Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you using it in a cold room? It will revert to flashing every page in low temperatures.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
arielito

Well, sometimes when I read in my bedroom with the A/C on. But that means it'll always happen? Does that happen to you? I have read before about the temperature thing but then I don´t see the point of having the option of every 6 pages if it changes on its own.
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielito View Post
Well, sometimes when I read in my bedroom with the A/C on. But that means it'll always happen? Does that happen to you? I have read before about the temperature thing but then I don´t see the point of having the option of every 6 pages if it changes on its own.

Not unless you live in a meat freezer!

This should not be happening, so I would call Amazon.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I just had the same issue with Kindle after a month of pretty intense use. Send it back and hope for a better one.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
I have been noticing lately that even with the option of refreshing every 6 pages turned on, sometimes it begins refreshing every single page which is quite distracting.
This happens often on my K4NT and the following simple procedure always fixes it for me. It may sound pointless, but you have nothing to lose if you try it.

Configure your reader to not refresh every page, then navigate back to the home screen and walk away with the reader still on. Let the reader go to sleep by itself, and if you're lucky, it should work properly once you turn it back on.

BTW, you can probably change the every 6 pages to any other number by connecting your computer to your reader via USB and editing the corresponding value in the preferences file and restarting - works on the K4NT; don't know for sure about others.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Mine did this in the beginning. I thought about returning it too but decided to wait to see if it got better since there was so many who got a bad screen. The first couple of days the flashing was really bad. By the fourth day it was almost normal. I've had my paperwhite for about 3 1/2 months now and since the first time I've only had a problem with the flash 2 or 3 times usually when I add a lot of books. Unlike the first time the flash is back to normal within a few minutes.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
arielito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Bane View Post
This happens often on my K4NT and the following simple procedure always fixes it for me. It may sound pointless, but you have nothing to lose if you try it.

Configure your reader to not refresh every page, then navigate back to the home screen and walk away with the reader still on. Let the reader go to sleep by itself, and if you're lucky, it should work properly once you turn it back on.

BTW, you can probably change the every 6 pages to any other number by connecting your computer to your reader via USB and editing the corresponding value in the preferences file and restarting - works on the K4NT; don't know for sure about others.
Oh thank you, thank you! It worked! So now I just hope it STAYS that way. On the other hand, I looked for the preferences file but couldn´t find it. But well, 6 pages are ok to me.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
arielito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner-reader View Post
I just had the same issue with Kindle after a month of pretty intense use. Send it back and hope for a better one.
Just let me know it the new one doesnt have that problem
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Oh thank you, thank you! It worked! So now I just hope it STAYS that way. On the other hand, I looked for the preferences file but couldn´t find it. But well, 6 pages are ok to me.
If it reverts back to flashing every page, just do the procedure again

As for the # of pages between flashes, 6 is pretty good. Anything more and you'll start to see ghosting. I played around a bit and finally decided 6 is the best number for me.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have had my PW since release and, twice, I noticed it had started flashing every page. I went into the settings and, for some reason, the settings had changed 'on their own'. I am not sure what triggered it. I think the second time was shortly after a firmware update - or, rather, I noticed it shortly after a firmware update.

I am not sure if that is pertinent to the OP's situation...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am not sure what triggered it. I think the second time was shortly after a firmware update - or, rather, I noticed it shortly after a firmware update.
I read a few posts on Amazon's community saying that it started with 5.3.3.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I also have the same problem with my paperwhite 5.3.3, also with the official sleep cover.

letting it fall asleep with the cover open does fix the problem.

However, what I noticed (while on vacation) is that if I stay in the A/C or regular tempuratures no problem for hours of reading, but when I go out into the sun, it starts up again with the same problem pretty well right away, then won't fix until I let it fall asleep even after letting it cool down.

I was wondering if other people noticed any relation to heat as well?

Also, contacted CS, and they suggested a factory reset which I can't do (still on vacation).

Thank you for the fix,
~M

Last edited by mgrimace; 02-24-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote