Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #46
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
ixtab,

Unbelieavable! It finally works!

Thank you very much! I was skeptical at tts backing to work at all!
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #47
marcusharrington
marcusharrington began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Smile Blog Nightmares!

Hi all, I can see that lots of people are trying to find British voices for the Kindle Touch, now that its been released in the UK. People like a voice from their own country and it's annoying that amazon didn't bother to change it, using the income from their 33% higher prices!

Anyway, I've spent 2 days now scouring every single blog and link online and can't find any single set of instructions which work for the kindle Touch. This blog is typical in giving a clue here, a mention there, a link here and there, but still no solution, and I'll bet it's getting piles of frustrated viewers, like myself! I'm sure that if someone posted up a clear solution to help people, their posting would be HUGE!

I've downloaded the voice packs, spent half a day changing all the file names, tried everything from every blog (most of which is for the K3, but doesn't make it clear), but nothing seems to work.

Also, someone asks above (but gets no answer) why the British-English voice pack file is so small, compared with the one installed. If anyone actually has British-English working on a Kindle Touch, I'd love to know if the quality is much lower? It must be, the files are 10% of the size!

So, one clear set of instructions (particularly for kindle-newbies, like myself) posted online would likely explode with traffic and words of love! If anyone really does know how to do this, please do help us all!

Last edited by marcusharrington; 05-21-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: people were offended by use of capitalisation as 'shouting'! didn't mean it that way, so corrected!
marcusharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #48
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Please stop SHOUTING.

That said, all required information is in this post, and even in the README at the linked site (yes, the readme only mentions the german translation, because that's what I started with, but the procedure is exactly the same for all other languages).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #49
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
THX ixtab! If people would carefully read and do what is written, they would not post in a way like marcusharrington.
Next request will be to offer a hotline (for free of course and 24/7) to guide them step by step.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #50
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
THX ixtab! If people would carefully read and do what is written, they would not post in a way like marcusharrington.
Next request will be to offer a hotline (for free of course and 24/7) to guide them step by step.
Just a remote desktop with full A/V link should do the job.
Possibly with a remote controlled set of hands for:
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #51
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the support guys ;-)

@marcusharrington:
I just tested it my own device with exactly the instructions I used above, using the british TTS files, and they doo sound verry brritish indeed (the male one more than the female, though).

(TOTALLY off-topic: everyone should be watching Eurosport or BBC now, because it's Snooker World Championship time! (link for you uneducated folks). Screw baseball, basket ball, and soccer, and see some real wizards at work... )
Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #52
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

@marcusharrington: afaik the Touch ONLY has US TTS files "onboard". So even the ones shipped in europe have the same files.
Following exactly the instructions is not too difficult, TTS on the Touch is much easier to be modified than on K3. What IS necessary is restarting the device after copying around TTS files, at least once, for others twice.
For the file size, it was me asking this. I got the impression, it does not make difference in listening to the "smaller" or "larger" ones, so it is not a matter of a step in quality, at least for me, having this just for the reason of getting it work on my Touch.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #53
flippasi
flippasi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
hi
I seriously don't understand -.-
i have tom and the italian silvia installed allright

the problem is kindle doesn't want to read ANYTHING but english
I have no tts disabled documents.
when i open a non-english file tts is not enabled
I can uselessly read english in italian, yes..
could you explain what am I missing cause i feel like an idiot
I have 5.1.0
pleease
flippasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #54
diba
Addict

You need to install necessary files from this thread to get TTS working on 5.1 for non-english books:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175512
Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #55
flippasi
flippasi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thank you so much ^^ I would have never figured it out
flippasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #56
marcusharrington
marcusharrington began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Thanks VERY MUCH INDEED Ixtab! The voice files on the link you posted a link to are different (less files) than the files I'd downloaded from other links (which must have been for other Kindle models). These files worked immediately, thanks very much (and sorry for frustrated post!).

Like most people who have just bought a Kindle and who want to make them work properly for their country, I'm NOT a Kindle expert. So sorry to all the members here for my clear lack of Kindle expertise, which clearly caused some frustration. I'm very grateful for your help.

So for people with Kindle Touch in the UK who want to change the American Text To Speech (TTS) to a British voice, download the 2 (male/female) GB voice files from here:

http://ge.tt/9XeUvcC

Plug in your Kindle Touch, navigate to tts/data and take the files from inside each of the 3 folders (common, high-quality and low-quality) for the male, and then female, voices and copy them INTO the correct corresponding folders on your Kindle Touch; clicking 'yes' to overwrite the existing files.

(If you want to keep the American voices for future use, just copy the data folder onto your desktop BEFORE you overwrite the files, so you can add it back in at a later date).

Then go to Home, Settings, Menu and Restart your Touch and the United Kingdom voices should now have replaced the American ones.

Despite being a tenth of the size of the American voices, the quality of the smaller GB British voices seem to sound just as good.

Despite being British voices, the procedure is apparently exactly the same for all international tts voice packs for the Kindle Touch.

Thanks again to Ixtab and the other members on this page who helped with this solution!!

Last edited by marcusharrington; 05-21-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added note for other voices
marcusharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #57
jmesar
Enthusiast
jmesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Failure male-male Voice pack (Tom – Diego)

I succeed with tts pack Tom-Monica, or Diego-Samantha, but I could not with Tom-Diego.

I take the download Tom and Diego, and change the Diego _cfg1 to _cfg3 (and Tom to Samantha) as all the female voices but with or without changing _cfgx; kindle refuse the pack.

How can I arrange this package?

Last edited by jmesar; 06-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.
jmesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #58
ixtab
(offline)

You could try to re-create Diego "from source", and label it as "female". See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=21 .
Old 06-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #59
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
How about Turkish?
I couldn't find a proper file to use TTS on my Turkish files.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #60
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
How about Turkish?
I couldn't find a proper file to use TTS on my Turkish files.
Try /dev/urandom
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote