Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Tablet Sales are Sizzling

According to a 12/9/2012 AP article, tablet sales are sizzling this holiday season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tablet Boom.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	97468  

Last edited by MartyTX; 12-09-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: To correct spelling
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I know I just bought another one last week. We're now up to four tablets in the house - even my ten-year-old has one.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Most people never needed a computer. They only wanted a Television that worked on the Internet so they could look at stuff.

A computer would do that, but a tablet will too and is cheaper and much more convenient.

The final step from a computer and its keyboard was when people started texting on their phones, and it was just another step and in fact easier to text on a tablet. So the keyboard is not necessary any more for most people, therefore the tablet now has taken over 2/3s of the computer market.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
My son's twins are 18-months old ... they're turning pages on his family's iPad.
They enjoy Skyping with us, but we do get accidental disconnects when they get a bit excited! Hmm ... I think they're accidental.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Everyone in this house will be getting one this year, I believe.

Dad thinks he is surprising me, I've got one for my kid, wife is waiting for herself to arrive, and we are splitting the cost on another for my brother. It's a fondleslab wonderland.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
So. Which tablet is everyone getting. Would be interesting to see the different picks of each one.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Husband and 2 boys (12 & 15) are not interested in tablets. I have the Kindle Fire 1. My girls are each getting their own for Christmas. The 7 yo gets a Kindle Fire 2 with unlimited subscrition. My 9 yo gets a Lenovo A2107.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can see mine, though not the rest of the family's on my posts.

The most recent one is the Acer A700, and I'm enjoying it. I got a great price on a full HD tablet which works very well for comics as well as books.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
So. Which tablet is everyone getting. Would be interesting to see the different picks of each one.
Got a Nexus 7 for myself on Black Friday and a Kindle Fire for my grandson on Cyber Monday.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
My girls are each getting their own for Christmas. The 7 yo gets a Kindle Fire 2 with unlimited subscrition.
That's exactly what my 4 yo grandson is getting.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Lemurion
eReader

I just couldn't do the 7" anymore too small for comics with my eyes.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Most people never needed a computer. They only wanted a Television that worked on the Internet so they could look at stuff.

A computer would do that, but a tablet will too and is cheaper and much more convenient.

The final step from a computer and its keyboard was when people started texting on their phones, and it was just another step and in fact easier to text on a tablet. So the keyboard is not necessary any more for most people, therefore the tablet now has taken over 2/3s of the computer market.
I do not think this is the case. Computers with keyboards and mice continue to sell well. The story here is that the tablet has become a commodity. Prices and awareness reflect that. Everyone has touched one and prices are so low that everyone can afford one. If anything, this points to the failure of the cell phone to satisfy the mobile, content consumption and communications device.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
According to a 12/9/2012 AP article, tablet sales are sizzling this holiday season.
Not too surprising. Seems like every few years or so there is a new tech item that everyone wants and its the hot item for a few years runnig. Laptops, DVD players, Digital cameras, Blu ray players, HD tvs, Mp3 players, smartphones, now tablets etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

I agree many people never needed a computer to start with. They just got them because of the internet. (which exploded in 1996) I just bought myself a desktop in July. Never considered replacing my old desktop with a tablet (or even a laptop) because I got more bang for my buck with the desktop. Tablets and laptops are always steps behind desktops in whats current with computing technology. Desktop computers are becoming what they once were....a niche market, mostly for nerdy geeks types. They are mostly the ones who want the ultimate power of a desktop.

I may consider a tablet in the future for some couch surfing. Other than that they wont replace my desktop.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've bought two Dell desktops this year from their outlet. I got a heck of a lot more bang for my buck. Our tablets are for entertainment. They would never replace our computers. I can't compare to top of the line tablets of course, but then, they are out of my price range anyhow.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I agree many people never needed a computer to start with. They just got them because of the internet. (which exploded in 1996) I just bought myself a desktop in July. Never considered replacing my old desktop with a tablet (or even a laptop) because I got more bang for my buck with the desktop.
Hey I had 2 or three computers way before I got the internet! My first was an Atari something or other. My next was a Windows 3.1, and I had a Windows 95, too lol.