Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Gregg, have you tried Scrivener?

If the way it handles your research and story outline works for you, then you may find that you stop using Word to enter the text completely.

Scrivener's got a very nice full screen uncluttered text entry view, and being a dedicated writer's toolkit it has the sort of features that you need readily available (e.g. storyboard, word count by scene, project and session targets, scene labelling - such as by POV character or location, compiling to different formats for drafts and final copies.)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
@Turtle,

You're not a writer, but with so many trips around the world you could still write a revised version of Around the World in Eighty Days (or more specifically The Turtle and the Hare!)

I assumed that Gregg Bell could not use the version you're talking about, that's why I mentioned the other and to point out the price increase. But again Turtle between free and subscription, there are a few meters away, is it not?

Do you know this software (http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html) perhaps it could give taste to become a writer? I don't use it on a regular basis, but it seems good.

Take care!

@ Gregg, why not try... the tryout and see for yourself?
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Graham!

The program you're talking about sounds really interesting and is also signaled on the website that I mentioned (yWriter: http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5_Download.html) which is free though.

Last edited by Arios; 03-24-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
The program you're talking about sounds really interesting and is also signaled on the website that I mentioned (yWriter: http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5_Download.html) which is free though.
Hi Arios,

Yes, I tried yWriter a few years ago. Scrivener is a richer experience all round, I think, but you get what you pay for, as they say!

Another alternative if you want to take the Cloud route is to use Scriptito, a basic Scrivener clone, which is free for up to 5 projects at a time. Again, it's not as fully-featured as Scrivener but covers the basics pretty well (storyboard, chapter outlining, research clippings).

The big advantage with Scriptito, of course, is that it's available for you wherever you have an internet connection and a browser. The disadvantage, equally, is that it's not currently available offline, though they're working on adding that.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I heard about the writer2xhtml plug-in but wasn't too sure about it. In fact, I'm not sure about the difference between LO and OO. So you compose on LO or OO, then go to the writer2xhtml, then it export what you've written into clean html (similar to Word's saving as 'web page filtered'?)? Or from Word docs?

Like I said I'm a little uncertain about all this. And I did go to the writer2xhtml site and it said the product hadn't been released in over a year and might not be maintained. (And I don't know if I was looking in the right place.)
There is also a writer2EPUB plugin.

Why not download and give it a whirl? It is just disk space
If you don't like...Uninstall

Libre Office spun off of the (now Oracle sponsored) Open Office.
Ubuntu switched from OO to LO
I did also (I use it on all my Windows systems)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't think of anything the latest versions of Word have added to the 2003 version which is in the slightest relevent to writing an eBook. In fact, you'd save yourself a whole boat-load of trouble and complication if you wrote in plain text, dumped it into Sigil and added only the basic layout and formatting that suit an eBook. Or even started out in Sigil.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I've got MS Office Word 2003. I don't feel like paying for 2013. But you know how they sometimes let you download the old stuff for free. Like 2007 or whatever. Anybody know? Thanks.
You can upgrade your Word 2003 to support the new formats for free. This will give you the ability read the docx files you may receive. I run Word XP (2002) and have found no good reason to upgrade beyond installing the fixes and format upgrade.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Gregg, have you tried Scrivener?

If the way it handles your research and story outline works for you, then you may find that you stop using Word to enter the text completely.

Scrivener's got a very nice full screen uncluttered text entry view, and being a dedicated writer's toolkit it has the sort of features that you need readily available (e.g. storyboard, word count by scene, project and session targets, scene labelling - such as by POV character or location, compiling to different formats for drafts and final copies.)

Graham
I checked it out. A lot of nice stuff but I don't think I'd use most of it though. Good to know it's out there if I do need it,though. Thanks for passing the info along.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Arios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post

@ Gregg, why not try... the tryout and see for yourself?
Thinking of checking out Atlantis' free trial. Still wondering about where you got it for $10 though.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #25
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is also a writer2EPUB plugin.

Why not download and give it a whirl? It is just disk space
If you don't like...Uninstall

Libre Office spun off of the (now Oracle sponsored) Open Office.
Ubuntu switched from OO to LO
I did also (I use it on all my Windows systems)
You know, I think the problem is I haven't kept up with this stuff and now it's all kind of melding together. (Too many choices!) But I'm going to check out the writer2EPUB plugin. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #26
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I can't think of anything the latest versions of Word have added to the 2003 version which is in the slightest relevent to writing an eBook. In fact, you'd save yourself a whole boat-load of trouble and complication if you wrote in plain text, dumped it into Sigil and added only the basic layout and formatting that suit an eBook. Or even started out in Sigil.
I tried the plain text thing. I wrote some stuff in Word, then saved as plain text. When I opened it in Sigil it had little boxes where the apostrophes were. Was I missing something? (It looked cool and very simple--and I like that.)

I like what you said about nothing being added to 2003 Word relevant to writing an ebook. I didn't notice any real limitations using it. I just figured with all this new stuff out here maybe I'm missing the boat somehow.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 03-25-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #27
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You can upgrade your Word 2003 to support the new formats for free. This will give you the ability read the docx files you may receive. I run Word XP (2002) and have found no good reason to upgrade beyond installing the fixes and format upgrade.

Dale
Thanks Dale. How do you do the format upgrade and install the fixes?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
If you're mostly writing in plain text, you could also use Wordpad. It comes free with Windows and the files can be saved in several formats (rtf, odt, docx, txt in Windows 7).

If you're always online, using the online version of the Office could also be an option (free of charge). If you're not using all the fancy features of MS Word (or any other word processor for that matter) I don't see a reason to pay for it (unless you want to support the development).
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Come on Greg!

I don't want to be rude but it is not a sin to do some work, is it not!

Have you even try, just a little bit?

Maybe with Google, and scroll down?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
How do you do the format upgrade and install the fixes?
Google for something like "Open docx in Word 2003". You'll be taken to the free Microsoft download page for the addon that does this. Once installed it's completely transparent.

The Office applications get updates the same way as Windows does, through Windows Update. Tick the box to receive updates for "other Microsoft programs".
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote