Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast
HawaiianLungs began at the beginning.

Device: Dell x51v, SONY eReader 505, Lenovo T61
Font Size

I have not yet got an ereader, but narrowed it down to the Kindle or the SONY. I am usually out of the US and thought that I could not put books on the Kindle. I now know you can.

A major issue is repairs. The SONY can be repaired many places, but the Kndle needs the USA. This favors the SONY.

Another major issue is font sizes. My eyesight is not good. I see the Kindle has 6 increases in font size but the SONY only 3. The Kindle is better here.

My question is if I can increase font size more than the three sizes SONY allows if I get the SONY ereader?

If anyone has comments using an ereader out of the USA, comments are appreciated.

I have determined the Iliad is too big, the Hanlin maybe hard to repair, and so on.
HawaiianLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any reason you're not considering the CyBook Gen3? It's a lot more flexible with fonts than either the Sony or the CyBook. It allows you to load any font you wish onto the machine, and to view it in any one of 12 different sizes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I find that 3 sizes are plenty enough. In a low light environment or if my eyes are getting tired I switch to the larger size. I do not use the largest size at all, with the small screen size it is not very useful.
You can also put in embedded fonts for the Sony or replace the default fonts (there is a thread on this around here). You can also change the font size when you create the ebook (provided you are converting it yourself).
I am using the Sony PRS-505 in Hungary without any problems. I cannot use the Connect store, but that is no big deal. There are plenty of other dealers around and tons of free books on the net. If I want to buy a book I go to bookstore and buy it on paper (no DRM, no compatibility issues ).
I am not going to pay for a DRM protected book.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast
HawaiianLungs began at the beginning.

Device: Dell x51v, SONY eReader 505, Lenovo T61
Thank you

I nam looking at the CyBook now.

Maybe the SONY will work since the font sizes are not too bad.
HawaiianLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianLungs View Post

There are tools/ways to increase the font size. But you can only do this with non DRM protected ebooks. Basically you set the "base font" size which is the smallest font, and then it will scale two up from that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianLungs View Post

The Sony and the Gen3/Kindle take fundamentally different approaches to things like font size. On the Sony, the font size is set by the book creator, and can be magnified by up to a factor of two from that.

On the Kindle and Gen3, the font size is determined purely by the reader - a much more flexible approach.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Hope2read
Hope2read began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
I asked this question last week, as I needed an Ebook Reader without glasses, as my eyesight is not good. I tested the Sony at the Gadget Show and the largest size wasn't big enough for me. After gaining lots of help on this site, I went for the Cybook, as it's easy to select it directly from the Reader. Am so pleased with my purchase of the Cybook - it's exactly what I needed. By the way, I also tested the Bebook, and again that wasn't big enough. The Kindle would be great, but in the UK the Cybook seems the best option for bigger text. Hope this helps!
Hope2read is offline   Reply With Quote