Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-07-2016, 02:02 AM   #76
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, I'll test it, although the weighted font is growing in me
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:06 AM   #77
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Thank you, I'll test it, although the weighted font is growing in me
Sometimes a typo can make for some disturbing breakfast reading.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2016, 02:49 AM   #78
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Sometimes a typo can make for some disturbing breakfast reading.
Be nice, I'm a poor Spanish girl
Old 07-07-2016, 02:56 AM   #79
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I didn't even look where you're from.

I just can't resist an opportunity for a silly joke. And the correct English phrase - the font is growing on you - is only slightly less disturbing.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:19 AM   #80
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't even look where you're from.

I just can't resist an opportunity for a silly joke. And the correct English phrase - the font is growing on you - is only slightly less disturbing.
I supposed it, that's the reason of the smiley (mine was a silly joke too). And I'll never be able to use in a proper way those pesky phrasal verbs
Advert
Old 07-07-2016, 03:36 AM   #81
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
I supposed it, that's the reason of the smiley (mine was a silly joke too). And I'll never be able to use in a proper way those pesky phrasal verbs
They are a pain in the neck. I'm not a native speaker myself (I'm German), and get them wrong a lot.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:49 AM   #82
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Of course hinted glyphs would look better on Windows. Windows screens are why font hinting was invented. But they would not on eInk. Directly from Wikipedia; font hinting is the use of mathematical instructions to adjust the display of an outline font so that it lines up with a rasterized grid.../...
Thank you for a very informative post.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #83
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
They are a pain in the neck. I'm not a native speaker myself (I'm German), and get them wrong a lot.
Correct use of prepositions is one of the most difficult things in learning any foreign language, because their use varies so much between languages. For example, the French preposition "à" must be translated in English with any one of the prepositions "to", "at", "into", "on", "by", "for", "from", or "with", depending on how it is used. Similarly, the English preposition "by" in French becomes "par", "à", "sur", or "en", again depending on context.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #84
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Do not let it worry you. There are plenty of native speakers who get them wrong.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
kleinjar, have you tried the latest version without hinting to see if that solves your problem?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've upped the weight slightly. I think this may be the last weight increase. Also, I've tweaked the kerning a little.

I've posted both the weighted and unweighted versions both without hinting. If you do want a hinted version, please say so and I'll post such.

Enjoy!

P.S. I've removed the attachments and have added them later on in this thread.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-19-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Does anyone have any issues with the test font? If not, I'll rename it not to be a test version and delete all the test versions.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #88
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Not at all, it's my font now (although I'm not a good tester for this...)
Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 AM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Not at all, it's my font now (although I'm not a good tester for this...)
All you'd have to do is see if anything looks off to you. If not, then all is good on your end.

If by Monday, nobody has anything to report, I''ll sort out the font, remove the test versions and call it good to go. Not saying there still would not be updates if I find things. But overall it's looking good.

I'll be posting a weighted and non-weghted version both non-hinted. I think that should do.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #90
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If anyone runs Windows, use Windows Font Viewer to view the hinted and non-hinted fonts. Take a look at the two smallest sizes. You will notice that the hinted version looks better at the smaller sizes.
I don't think this is a useful way to compare the hinted versus non-hinted fonts unless you plan to read on a Windows device.

The majority of mobile devices that people read on will use some variant of Freetype to render fonts (ie: just about any Linux based e-ink device, Android phones and tablets, iOS phones and tablets) and that behaves very differently compared to the Windows rendering engine.

Second, most people using Windows probably have Cleartype turned on, which is not applicable to e-ink devices, and that will alter the letter forms as well.

Finally, with high DPI devices becoming more common, the difference between hinted and non-hinted will be less than what you can see on the typical PC screen.

IMO the best way to compare is to load them in turn on your actual reading device and then read a variety of text (ie: both letters and numbers, some different sizes, italics and bold). If you have a camera capable of good macro shots, that might help too.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote