Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
fugon
fugon began at the beginning.

Device: want to buy: DPT-RP1 or Onyx Boox Max2
Looking for e reader that can load android apps + 2GB of RAM for study purposes

Hello all, I am looking to buy an e-ink reader that can load Ankidroid (mobile version of Anki). I have around 100, 000 cards (which amounts to 100 MB I suppose), so an e-reader with a strong processor + lots of RAM is required, I think... and can support third party TTS.

So far, I've looked around and seen the Onyx Boox Max2 and Sony's DPR-RT1 kind of fit my requirement, but I would probably need to buy the cracked version in China (for Sony) and to be honest... those two are too big seeing I do not intend to use them for reading actual books.

I've also looked elsewhere on Taobao, but most of these devices only have 1GB of RAM and an outdated version of android, which isn't very good in my opinion seeing that I intend to run Anki on it (which old versions might get deprecated). So some future proof device with at least 2GB of RAM would be good. Fast loading time is important as I have many cards and I don't want crashing/lagging! (The app already lags every time I launch the TTS in my 3GB RAM smartphone...)

I know that a smartphone probably fits my need best (I do have one), but school board doesn't allow it so e reader then.

Seeing as people usually praise Sony for their high-end hardware, should I get one of these then? But it's too expensive IMO and furthermore I can't use the warranty seeing I would want to buy the cracked version... a very high risk investment. Boox seems like the safer bet but I need a long lasting device, is it good for that? Should I just wait for the price to drop down and hope that the next year generation can launch a device with better processor+RAM???

Last edited by fugon; 05-09-2018 at 10:10 AM.
fugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
You should also look at Onyx Boox Note - it has the same hardware specs as the Max2 with a smaller screen and hence cheaper.

At present, as far as eink is concerned, you don't get better specs than these devices (Onyx Max2, Onyx Note).

Last edited by gimble; 05-09-2018 at 05:56 PM.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
anki, ram, studying, taobao, tts