Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
None of those at WOOT have lights. But I think its great pricing for them!
Due to the DRM going to KFX these are going to go fast. It's a great deal for those who want to back up their books once the old method stops working.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #32
bookmarked
Addict
bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Nexus 7, iPod Touch 4, HP TouchPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Due to the DRM going to KFX these are going to go fast. It's a great deal for those who want to back up their books once the old method stops working.

Sent from my XT1528

Can you elaborate us slower folks can understand?
bookmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmarked View Post
Can you elaborate us slower folks can understand?

See this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=263902

And this one

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=253119

Keeping an older Kindle right now is a smart move.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #34
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
^ 37 pages of posts, I'll just keep my head in the sand.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #35
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
^ 37 pages of posts, I'll just keep my head in the sand.
Me 2!!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #36
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
The new format means you can't strip DRM and change to epub/back up your copy, etc. Many people don't do that so it is not a big deal. Those who want to can do a "backup" by downloading to these devices that are on sale.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #37
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
And if you've never ordered using the Woot App, you can get an extra $10 coupon good on a future Woot purchase more than $25. I HAVE ordered from the App, but still am trying it anyway since I want an older Kindle for futureproofing. It has been a very long time since I used the Woot App, and I'm sort of hoping I'll get the coupon anyway. Probably won't, but fingers crossed...

I originally had this from an email, but here's a link to a webpage: http://www.woot.com/blog/post/buy-so...-in-it-for-you

Last edited by sufue; 01-13-2017 at 12:55 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #38
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
The new format means you can't strip DRM and change to epub/back up your copy, etc. Many people don't do that so it is not a big deal. Those who want to can do a "backup" by downloading to these devices that are on sale.
Is the book then simply backed up on the device, or is it possible to move the book to a computer and strip the DRM from that transferred file (rather than using the K4PC downloaded version)? I don't mind getting a K4 as a backup but I want to be sure I understand what purpose it serves.

Thanks.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #39
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
Is the book then simply backed up on the device, or is it possible to move the book to a computer and strip the DRM from that transferred file (rather than using the K4PC downloaded version)? I don't mind getting a K4 as a backup but I want to be sure I understand what purpose it serves.

Thanks.
It is a copy of the book. HOWEVER, I have seen that the older devices download the older version of the book -- so old techniques would work on it. But I have not done this myself. Probably see the alf thread.

I know the last upload I did (for Eclair...so that would be Oct-ish timeframe) I was highly encouraged by Amazon do support the new format. I chose to stick with tried-and-true mobi. There are a lot of reasons I loathe changing to new formats and DRM is probably the least of it. When I can, I choose "no drm" for my books, but that sort of thing isn't very clear with each vendor. When they introduce a new format, it's up to me to go figure out if there are any real benefits to me or the reader.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #40
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Thanks, that gives me a little more to go on. After some research it looks like my KK already does everything I would need this sale-priced Kindle to do.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
Thanks, that gives me a little more to go on. After some research it looks like my KK already does everything I would need this sale-priced Kindle to do.
Not to mention the battery is replaceable on the KK. I won't get rid of mine either.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #42
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Problem folks may run into is that the Older Kindles May Not Open the newer Formats.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #43
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Problem folks may run into is that the Older Kindles May Not Open the newer Formats.
For backup and "disinfection" purposes, that's a feature, not a problem.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:21 AM   #44
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
What about the kindle fire hdx 7....would that work the same as a backup and protection against the newer formats?
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:27 AM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
What about the kindle fire hdx 7....would that work the same as a backup and protection against the newer formats?
It's best to ask this in the tools thread where more knowledgeable folks are.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=253119

Sent from my XT1528