Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
DarleenMB
DarleenMB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Could use a little help here

OK, I'll admit I should have known better.

I bought a Kindle from a seller on ebay who, in his listing, said he got it from a storage unit sale. He admitted that Amazon had told him it couldn't be registered. so WHAT was I thinking???!!

$55 later Amazon will not let me register it because the original owner reported that it was "lost."

All I wanted was an extra reader (I have the original Kindle and it is STUFFED to overflowing with books, many BOUGHT and some I snagged for free from Amazon. I wanted the extra Kindle so hubby could have one of his own.

So my question is ... is it possible to simply transfer MY books which are on my computer (we can't get whispernet here so I always have to use USB transfer to get them on my Kindle) to my (stupid idiotic why do I do this stuff!) "new" used Kindle?

and please don't smack me for being so STUPID!!!! I've banged my head on my desk so much in the last day I have a headache.

If I can't put any books on it I guess I'll have to sell it for parts on ebay and hope someone will take it off my hands. Otherwise I will be taking out my frustration with a LARGE hammer.

Oh yeah, it's the Wi-Fi version. And honestly I like my original Kindle a lot better.
DarleenMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
You can still use it without registration. But only with non-DRM ebooks. If you strip the DRM from your amazon bought books you can then transfer via USB.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Should be able to just copy them over using the usb cable. The books go in the documents directory as I recall. I backup all of mine on my pc.

Don't turn the wifi on until someone tells you what it will do. It will connect with Amazon but I don't know if it will delete things or what.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So my question is ... is it possible to simply transfer MY books which are on my computer (we can't get whispernet here so I always have to use USB transfer to get them on my Kindle) to my (stupid idiotic why do I do this stuff!) "new" used Kindle?
Give 'er a whirl and see!

I do like this "I bought a black-listed Kindle" story better than most, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-24-2011 at 10:38 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Only non-DRMd books will be usable on your newish Kindle. DRMd books will give you a message that you need to contact Amazon when you try to open them on the Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
DarleenMB

Happy to amuse, DiapDealer

Well almost all of my books came from Amazon (purchased and freebies alike) so I assume they are all DRM'd. I figured as much. shoot.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
With all these black listed Kindles, I wonder if I can make ~$100 by sharing my Kindle 3G's serial number with someone
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:54 AM   #8
pdagenius
Enthusiast
pdagenius is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3g + wifi Firmware: 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
Happy to amuse, DiapDealer

Well almost all of my books came from Amazon (purchased and freebies alike) so I assume they are all DRM'd. I figured as much. shoot.
Do some research with Google around using Calibre. There are plugins to this program that will help you use your collection.
pdagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:55 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
We won't permit MobileRead to be used in support of any criminal acts. This includes providing help with "lost" or stolen Kindles, whether bought knowingly (as seems to be the case here) or in good faith. Please bear this in mind, everybody, and report any post that you feel contravenes this policy.

Thank you for your co-operation with this.

[The MobileRead Moderating Team]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
DarleenMB

I'm sorry Harry, I didn't mean to break any rules.

Having said that, did you miss the part where I stated the person I bought the Kindle from bought it LEGITIMATELY at a storage unit sale. It's fair to partly obvious the original owner, in a fit of pique, deregistered it as "lost." I bought it LEGITIMATELY from the guy on ebay.

If this violates TOS then please, PLEASE remove this thread as I do not wish to cause problems esp since I am brand new here.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If I were the original owner I would have called Amazon and had it bricked. I know that it is legal and fair for storage places to sell the contents of units that have not been paid for after a period of time but that does not mean that the person whose stuff is sold has to just allow devices that he had used by anyone.

You did say that you knew that the unit had been blocked by Amazon when you bought it.

I don't think that you have bought something illegally or that it was sold to you illegally but I don't think that the original owner was necessarily wrong to call Amazon and report the device as lost.

That said, google Apprentice Alf and what you find.

IF that does not help you then think about getting a Special Offer Kindle for $114 and give your Hubby the K1.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote