Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Mount and/or extract files from SWUPDATE.bin?

I have extracted the sw-file from the update image, but can't seem to find out how to mount it, or understand the structure in order to extract files.

I have searched here (and on google) without finding anything.

Anyone know the format?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
There was a python script called pbfwsplit.pl floating around the net that could be used to extract the pieces inside of the unzipped file. However, last time I tried it a few years ago, it wouldn't work on the latest firmware updates anymore. You can probably still find it to see how the unpacking was done then, just to see how much reverse engineering would be required to update the script.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. Found the script but didn't work as you said. Also found an old description of the format of the image. (Both from 2011.)

Oh well...

What I wanted to try is to see if a binary for the Inkpad 2 would run on Inkpad 3. Do you know if that is probable?

(If anyone has an Inkpad 2 here and would like to help, please send me a mess.)
Old 01-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can check the SDK available for each to see if the libraries are the same on both devices. If so, I think the binaries would be able to start up on both systems. However, if some feature depends on the exact system configuration, and that has changed between systems, then the binaries may not run properly. I think all you can do is try and see.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
kakonema
kakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipedia

Device: PB632 THD3
Actually, the perl script still works fine, but the new SWUPDATE.BIN is gzipped, so you need to first decompress it for a script to be able to extract firmware.
kakonema is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard

Yes, it works! Thanks! I wish I had more karma to give you.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:18 AM   #7
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
What I wanted to try is to see if a binary for the Inkpad 2 would run on Inkpad 3. Do you know if that is probable?
Just like rkomar said, it depends on the libs functionality it's implementing. Usually things should work from one device to another but sometimes there are breaking changes introduced in the libs and stuff stops working as expected.
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
patrik
Guru

Thanks, great news that the script works.

Now, if I just could remember what program it was I wanted to test...
Old 08-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Marco77
Connoisseur
Marco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PW3, Clara HD, PB740
I use the tools described at https://www.synacktiv.com/posts/hard...-reverser.html
Marco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:02 AM   #10
kakonema
kakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipedia

Device: PB632 THD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Yes, it works! Thanks! I wish I had more karma to give you.
Thank you! Glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco77 View Post
Interesting read, thanks!
kakonema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #11
daniel.weck
daniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with others

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco77 View Post
Thanks for the tip. See updated tool on GitHub:
https://github.com/Synacktiv-contrib...ment-997981716
daniel.weck is offline   Reply With Quote