Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 01:23 AM   #61
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I checked the Boyue update to 8.1 thread and there are many reports of devices updated to 8.1 being faster than 6, and certainly none of it being slowing. In fact someone received a new Likebook Mars with 8.1 pre-installed, and reports it being very fast. I think the Mars is an older generation than the Nova and Poke Pro, so I expect them to run 8.1, and perhaps 9 too, without any slowing of operation.
Likebook Mars is one year newer generation than the Poke Pro (typical Boox Android 6 hardware, the same as with the Nova, Nova Pro, Note, Note Pro, Max2, which differ mainly in the screen sizes and in the memory configuration).
And the Likebook hardware is much stronger than the old Boox hardware, but also weaker than the new from Boox - that's why, in my opinion, updates are only made to Android 8.1 and not to 9.
They already know what they are doing.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-16-2020 at 01:26 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #62
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
...the Likebook hardware is much stronger than the old Boox hardware, but also weaker than the new from Boox...
I wonder if anyone has opinions on the relative merits of the standard software for each product line? Notwithstanding that you can run pretty much what app you like on Android, I have read that the stock software on Likebook is not as good an experience as on Boox.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #63
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Likebook Mars is one year newer generation than the Poke Pro (typical Boox Android 6 hardware, the same as with the Nova, Nova Pro, Note, Note Pro, Max2, which differ mainly in the screen sizes and in the memory configuration).
And the Likebook hardware is much stronger than the old Boox hardware, but also weaker than the new from Boox - that's why, in my opinion, updates are only made to Android 8.1 and not to 9.
Still, 8.1 would be nice.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #64
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
I wonder if anyone has opinions on the relative merits of the standard software for each product line? Notwithstanding that you can run pretty much what app you like on Android, I have read that the stock software on Likebook is not as good an experience as on Boox.
I've read a number of complaints about the base reading software on Likebook in the Boyue forum, and they state that it's lower quality is a reason to go with Onyx. As PDF reading and annotation is a key functionality for many buyers of Onyx/Likebook, this is a big deal. It seems to me that Onyx have invested more time in developing this software. Personally I don't do annotations (yet), but it's a big deal for many,
Old 09-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #65
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
Why bother with the stock software on Android devices when there are excellent or even better installable products.
Except for the scribble software, which is more extensive at Boox; only I don't use what it can do more.
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #66
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Why bother with the stock software on Android devices when there are excellent or even better installable products.
Except for the scribble software, which is more extensive at Boox; only I don't use what it can do more.
99.99999% of those softwares are designed for LCD displays. Onyx and Boyue are e-ink, and a lot of those apps will not work well with them.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #67
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
99.99999% of those softwares are designed for LCD displays. Onyx and Boyue are e-ink, and a lot of those apps will not work well with them.
Why?
I found only some multimedia (Video) apps which doesnt work.
Calibre Companion is much better than built in library.
Total Commander is much better than the built in File Manager.
AlReader is much better for epub than built in reader app.
Pocketbook app can handle Adobe DRM,
Perfect Viewer is much bettter for comix than the built in reader app.
Golden Dict is much better than the built in dictionary.
The only need for using the built in app is when using the pen.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-16-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #68
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Why?
I found only some multimedia (Video) apps which doesnt work.
Calibre Companion is much better than built in library.
Total Commander is much better than the built in File Manager.
AlReader is much better for epub than built in reader app.
Pocketbook app can handle Adobe DRM,
Perfect Viewer is much bettter for comix than the built in reader app.
Golden Dict is much better than the built in dictionary.
The only need for using the built in app is when using the pen.
There's a ton that don't. Often because of contrast / screen problem. They're not designed for e-ink.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #69
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
There's a ton that don't. Often because of contrast / screen problem. They're not designed for e-ink.
All of them are working without any problem on my devices:
Likebook Alita, Likebook Ares, Boox Nova2, Boox Poke2, Boox Poke Pro.
My Boox Poke Pro is used with Sygic in my car as glarefree navigation system (A2 mode) - GPS/Glonass data over Bluetooth from Unihertz Atom, Sound over BT Car Radio.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-17-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #70
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That's my main rant about why I think exposing android on an e-ink device is a mistake. It's ok if it's hidden under the covers like linux is on the others.

Apps written for LCD screens often use colors that don't map well to 16 levels of gray that e-ink provides. When I first got my Boox I spent a lot of frustrating time trying trying to install the Google play store; I thought it was hanging during the installation but it turned out that it was waiting for me to tap a button which was invisible because it was almost the exact same shade of gray as the background color. Then I installed some reading apps and their color choices were awful for e-ink, and some used background images/textures on the book's pages.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:11 AM   #71
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Apps written for LCD screens often use colors that don't map well to 16 levels of gray that e-ink provides. When I first got my Boox I spent a lot of frustrating time trying trying to install the Google play store; I thought it was hanging during the installation but it turned out that it was waiting for me to tap a button which was invisible because it was almost the exact same shade of gray as the background color. Then I installed some reading apps and their color choices were awful for e-ink, and some used background images/textures on the book's pages.
And if you change these settings (e.g. animation -> off) then these apps suddenly work wonderfully!
Old 09-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #72
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And if you change these settings (e.g. animation -> off) then these apps suddenly work wonderfully!
I don't see how that would help. The invisible button was due to its color mapping to a grayscale value that was very close to the grayscale value of the background.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #73
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I don't see how that would help. The invisible button was due to its color mapping to a grayscale value that was very close to the grayscale value of the background.
Boox allows to optimize the apps.
And I haven't seen the behavior described in any application afterwards.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #74
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
The invisible button was due to its color mapping to a grayscale value that was very close to the grayscale value of the background.
I've experienced that issue a number of times. Until I can optimize such apps so that they will work well with an eink screen, what I usually now do is open the app up on a tablet or a phone while I am setting it up on my ereader. That way, I can see where the "invisible" buttons are "hidden". Once I've adjusted an app's visual settings to work well on my ereader, I no longer need to have it open on a phone or a tablet.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #75
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I've experienced that issue a number of times. Until I can optimize such apps so that they will work well with an eink screen, what I usually now do is open the app up on a tablet or a phone while I am setting it up on my ereader. That way, I can see where the "invisible" buttons are "hidden". Once I've adjusted an app's visual settings to work well on my ereader, I no longer need to have it open on a phone or a tablet.
That's rather a bit more hoop jumping than I think should be needed. But if it's that important to you to have android on your ereader, you're welcome to it.