Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
USB-C Was Supposed to Simplify Our Lives. Instead, It’s a Total Mess

https://onezero.medium.com/usb-c-was...s-626bb2ea3688
Quote:
USB-C Was Supposed to Simplify Our Lives. Instead, It’s a Total Mess.

Techies hailed USB-C as the future of cables when it hit the mainstream market with Apple’s single-port MacBook in 2015. It was a huge improvement over the previous generation of USB, allowing for many different types of functionality — charging, connecting to an external display, etc. — in one simple cord, all without having a “right side up” like its predecessor.

Five years later, USB-C is near-ubiquitous: Almost every modern laptop and smartphone has at least one USB-C port, with the exception of the iPhone, which still uses Apple’s proprietary Lightning port. For all its improvements, USB-C has become a mess of tangled standards — a nightmare for consumers to navigate despite the initial promise of simplicity.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My life is just fine. Why are you so uptight about it? Do you need more fibre in your diet?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
There's this part of the article, I assume it's what made you share it?

Quote:
I’m thankful that USB-C is becoming universal, slowly pushing us toward a future where we have a single standardized connector for everything.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
My life is just fine. Why are you so uptight about it? Do you need more fibre in your diet?
That might be one of the better explanations for "JSWolf"'s reactive posting here on MR, that I've heard. You get used to it.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
That might be one of the better explanations for "JSWolf"'s reactive posting here on MR, that I've heard. You get used to it.

Luck;
Ken
I didn't join for YEARS because of his posting. It took a fantastic plugin for calibre that I really appreciated to get me to join and I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth it.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #6
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
That is what the ignore list is for. Once done you are free unless someone quotes him. I like this site, and I'm certainly not going to let anyone keep me from enjoying all the informative info I find on here.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I think USB C is great. Not perfect, but much better than the old standards.

As for the OP? His posts can be annoying at times but he is also quick to provide help to others who need it, and there is often value in his posts. Overall, I think his participation is a positive for Mobileread. I endorse cfrizz's very sensible comment above. I use the ignore list very sparingly indeed but find my Mobileread experience much better after ignoring a handful of posters. The OP is not one of them.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:28 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One port, many dongles. Looks like a sow with a litter of suckling piglets attached. Be sure to bring along the "litter" of adapters if you actually want to interact with anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charg...0482468&sr=8-4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	litter.png
Views:	254
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	182019  

Last edited by rcentros; 09-18-2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added Image
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
Ridcully
Enthusiast
Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10th gen. Paperwhite (2018)
This is the usual tech cycle since the 80s :-/ People get mad at being scammed into buying new adapters/peripherals/software for each brand or even each product model. Governments or monopolies create a standard and people are happy for a while. But eventually companies figure out a way to make standard-compliant yet incompatible accessories and we're back to square one.
Ridcully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
"Almost every modern laptop and smartphone has at least one USB-C port"
Actually not true. Only high end laptops and some brands and a minority of phones because it costs more and needs an extra chip in most gadgets. Many SoC as cheap even as 50 c have built-in USB, but only the actual USB. USB-C includes three other systems.

However the problem is not really the cable, except it's too small a connector for all the signals.

Also the up to 100W and 20V part was included to charge laptops, but some take more than 100W and a 100W charger is overkill and wasteful and larger than needed for a gadget, phone or tablet (typically 0.5W to 7.5W).

A recent industry report (not retail media) said apart from certain makes of laptops the takeup of USB-C has been disappointing. It's because most phones, many tablets and all lesser gadgets don't need the extra hardware expense and software complexity.

It should have been called something else.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I think USB C is great. Not perfect, but much better than the old standards.
It's complementary rather than a replacement. There are lots of things where it's a massive overkill. It can't be better because actually it's simply including USB signally as two of its many wires.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem as pointed out is that we have all kinds of different USB-C ports with all kinds of different abilities. So it's hard to know at times what a given port can or cannot do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
That is what the ignore list is for. Once done you are free unless someone quotes him. I like this site, and I'm certainly not going to let anyone keep me from enjoying all the informative info I find on here.
Hear! Hear!

I have my disagreements with Jon but there are far worse out there. Believe me.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I'm sure at least some of you remember the pre PS/2 (which introduced the DB-9 connector) serial port good old days, where "all" you had to know were the bit rate, number of data bits, number of start bits, number of stop bits, hardware or software flow control, and whether you needed to use a straight through or null-modem cable and which type cable a given cable was. Oh, and whether power on one of those pins was necessary or a guarantee of magic smoke. A set of gender adapters were good to keep around. We won't consider all the reasons 25 (or even 9) wires were needed for a "serial" port.

Wild cards were cables that omitted "unused" wires (including various flow control or modem specific lines) and proprietary hijacking of "unused" pins. Not using those special cables when needed or using them when they weren't could lead to all kinds of puzzlements.

The arrival of the 9 pin serial port not only required the duplication of all the hardware above, but a set of 25 pin to 9 pin adapters with all possible gender combinations.

But, since you already had to know what you were doing and had all the necessary equipment, it was no big deal to use a device as either a peripheral or a host, something it took a long time for USB to sorta kinda get right.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #15
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
There are too many standards. What we need is another one.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote