Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
Cat-Gerlach
Cat-Gerlach began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I downgrade from Sigil 1.4.3 to an older version?

Hi, new here.
How do I revert to Sigil 1.2.0? I tried uninstalling 1.4.3 (which the system said it did), but when I re-installed the 1.2.0 version, I still had the ugly buttons and no way to toggle the view. I really, really hate the way Sigil looks now. I can't find anything and feel lost ad unhappy. I want my old Sigil back, including the icons I've gotten used to.
Please do help
Cat-Gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
The new "ugly" icons were introduced in version 1.1.0.
The last version of Book View is 0.9.14.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Gerlach View Post
Hi, new here.
How do I revert to Sigil 1.2.0?Please do help
By giving us enough information about what kind of system you're using TO actually help.

And if you want help, it also might be a good idea to not openly insult the very people whose help you're seeking by telling them how much you hate their efforts, and/or by calling their donated and voluntary work "ugly."

As @Becky already mentioned, if you want to restore the ancient hokey-looking buttons AND the bug-ridden, code-damaging monstrosity that was Book View, then you're going to need to go back to the completely unsupported 0.9.14 version. Enjoy.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-04-2020 at 09:58 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Cat-Gerlach

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
The new "ugly" icons were introduced in version 1.1.0.
The last version of Book View is 0.9.14.
Sorry for calling the icons "ugly". But up to this morning, I had icons that were the same colour as the rest of the program, not a psychedelic chaos. The version I used before I updates with morning, was 1.2.0 and it didn't have these rainbow colours. It was all quite sedate and pleasing to look at.
Also it had a button that allowed me to toggle between code view and the preview, with the ability to edit the preview or the code view whichever way I liked.
Another thing that annoys the hell out of me is the fact that the new version keeps changing my named entities to #xxx numbers.

I am very sorry that I'm not shouting enthusiastically about the changes. I'm sure they're well thought through and if I could get past the layout (that I personally dislike with a vengeance) I'd probably be pleased.

Are they really meant to look like this, or did something go wrong with my installation?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil-icons.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	183769

That said, I'm not trying to insult anyone. I'm very happy that there is a way to get help and I'm grateful for your responses. I posted in a rush because I was so very shocked by the extreme change I was face with after updating this morning. I've got a deadline looking and now I've got to relearn a program that worked perfectly fine before.

I'm running Sigil on a WIN10 PC (up to date) with a 64-bit whatever, 8GB of RAM, and a 2.7GHz i5-6400 CPU

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-04-2020 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Thumbnailed oversized image
Old 12-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The toggle back and forth from Code View to BookView, went away in version 0.9.14. It did not exist in Sigil-1.2.0 at all.

Because live-editing of webpages (ie what BookView did) can generate broken or horrible code, most users opt to enable Preview which will show the results of the current CodeView tab constantly, without the need to toggle back and forth.

To replace some of BookView's functionality, we created a second program called PageEdit which can be launched from within Sigil if it is set up that way in Sigil's Preferences. This will enable live editing of a specific page or of all pages listed in the opf spine depending on how it is launched.

The older icons are now called Legacy icons and a user of Sigil-1.4.3 can opt to use them by downloading and installing them from github.

If you prefer monocolour icons, in Sigil-1.4.3 you can choose from 2 other icon themes built right into Sigil using Sigil's preferences. Both alternatives are basically monochrome. The icon themes are only available in Sigil-1.4.3 and were not an option yet in Sigil-1.2.0.

Numeric entities are required for epub3, named entities are only allowed in epub2. You can control which epub type to create in Preferences, and which entities to preserve in Sigil's preserve entities settings.

If your older version had BookView then it must have been Sigil-0.9.8, Sigil-0.9.10, or the last Sigil-0.9.14. It could not be any later version.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-04-2020 at 10:42 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry for calling the icons "ugly". But up to this morning, I had icons that were the same colour as the rest of the program, not a psychedelic chaos. The version I used before I updates with morning, was 1.2.0 and it didn't have these rainbow colours. It was all quite sedate and pleasing to look at.

Also it had a button that allowed me to toggle between code view and the preview, with the ability to edit the preview or the code view whichever way I liked.

Another thing that annoys the hell out of me is the fact that the new version keeps changing my named entities to #xxx numbers.
I am very sorry that I'm not shouting enthusiastically about the changes. I'm sure they're well thought through and if I could get past the layout (that I personally dislike with a vengeance) I'd probably be pleased.
You don't have to shout enthusiastically about anything to get help. That you hate them with a vengeance is not relevant to your request for help in downgrading. "The old version suits me better" would suffice.

Quote:
Are they really meant to look like this, or did something go wrong with my installation?
Yes. That is how they're intended to to look. However, if you'd read the release notes for Sigil 1.4.3 you'd have realized that you now have CHOICES as to which icons are used. Including your beloved old ones.

Quote:
That said, I'm not trying to insult anyone.
Hard to believe you when you're still insisting on using such phrases like "hate with a vengeance" and "psychedelic chaos" in your "apology".

Quote:
I'm very happy that there is a way to get help and I'm grateful for your responses. I posted in a rush because I was so very shocked by the extreme change I was face with after updating this morning. I've got a deadline looking and now I've got to relearn a program that worked perfectly fine before.
No. You don't have to relearn anything. Just install the version you had before (which clearly was not v1.2.0).

The version you want is 0.9.14 as was already mentioned. Download, install it, and use it in good health. There is no requirement for you to upgrade. But should you want to in the future, I would suggest not doing so when you're up against a tight deadline.

All of your other complaints (Book View, entities, etc...) have been dealt with, and explained, and hashed out ad nauseum. Back when the changes were first introduced ages ago. It is not our fault that you decided to blindly upgrade from an ancient version of Sigil to the very latest at a time when it was inconvenient for you to deal with any changes. There has been a minimum of 12 new versions of Sigil (and a couple of betas) since the version you were used to was released. Did you really think there would be no learning curve involved when skipping them all?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-04-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Moving this to its own thread so as not to rehash things that are irrelevant to the 1.4.3 release of Sigil specifically.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
Cat-Gerlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Because live-editing of webpages (ie what BookView did) can generate broken or horrible code,
I didn't know that. It never happened to me, but then I mostly worked in the coding editor.

Quote:
most users opt to enable Preview which will show the results of the current CodeView tab constantly, without the need to toggle back and forth.
I will give this a try.

Quote:
To replace some of BookView's functionality, we created a second program called PageEdit
Again something I didn't know but am willing to try.

Quote:
The older icons are now called Legacy icons and a user of Sigil-1.4.3 can opt to use them by downloading and installing them from github.
I think that'd solve a ton of problems I'm currently having. I think most of my confusion and initial anger comes from the colours because they hurt my eyes. Would you have a link or are they easy to find by searching github (I'm no terribly familiar with them)?

Quote:
The icon themes are only available in Sigil-1.4.3 and were not an option yet in Sigil-1.2.0.
I'll give that another try too. Maybe I'll find them this time.

Quote:
You can control which epub type to create in Preferences, and which entities to preserve in Sigil's preserve entities settings.
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know that.

Quote:
It could not be any later version.
Strange because I'm quite sure I updated every version. But like with so many things this year, I might have forgotten.

Thank you for your patience especially with my initial outbreak. I'm not good at handling unexpected throwbacks when I'm on a very tight deadline. I should have waited with the update until the project is out of the door.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
Cat-Gerlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The version you want is 0.9.14 as was already mentioned. Download, install it, and use it in good health. There is no requirement for you to upgrade. But should you want to in the future, I would suggest not doing so when you're up against a tight deadline.
Yes, I figured as much.

Sorry again. I'll give this new version a try. With the option to reinstall the old icons I will hopefully be able to make it work, and if not, I have your excellent advice which version mine must have been.

p.S.: @KevinH I found the icons on github. They were easier to find than I'd expected. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #10
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't reject the latest Sigil merely over the icons. They grated on me too, and I'm happy with the ability to revert (thank you). But they were never a showstopper. 'They hurt my eyes'. Oh, come on!

The menu bar is pretty customisable. You can un-clutter it (or clutter it even further!) very easily. For instance, I missed the one-click access to header styles until I realised I could have it (and better) back by choosing to display the Clip Bar.

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 12-04-2020 at 01:27 PM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
Cat-Gerlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
'They hurt my eyes'.
They do, not in a metaphorical way but literally, and it does take a while to build up. The monochrome ones don't strain my eyes as much. But I should have phrased it differently (I'm sure most people won't have this kind of problem). I'm sometimes a little harsh, especially when I'm under pressure.

Also, I'm not rejecting the new version now that I know there are options. Now that I'm over my initial shock, I'm actually quite curious to see what's been added. I've always wanted to create eBooks accessible for all, but always ran into problems I couldn't get over. This however seems to be a step in the right direction.

I'll revert to the very old unsupported version to get my publication done on time, and then I'll work through the manual as best I can to see how to make books everyone can enjoy, handycapped or not.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please note, the user's guide is not up to date but does cover many of the main features. We are always looking for help to update it. There are a few useful new features not covered by the user's guide (yet) such as custom icons, multiple language spellchecking, and checkpointing (saving a full version so you can recover to it or see differences since any previous checkpoint) to name just a few.

Plus a plethora of plugins that do a bunch of useful things such as converting epub2 to epub3, importing mobi/kindle, importing Office files, cleaning up badly formatted epubs, epubcheck validation, plugins to add accessibility features and much more. Check out our Sigil Plugin Index here on Mobileread for many others.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #13
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They do, not in a metaphorical way but literally, and it does take a while to build up. The monochrome ones don't strain my eyes as much.
You're going to encounter much more intrusive patches of colour than that in your everyday computer use! Serious suggestion - why not adjust your video settings so as to reduce or completely remove ALL colour? Even the most basic onboard video chips have a control panel with a Saturation setting.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1607113250
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-04 201439.png
Views:	244
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	183774  
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
Cat-Gerlach

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and pointers. I'm sorry I behaved so badly at the beginning.