Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I've been wondering whether this might be a play: Strindberg's "The Ghost Sonata".

As the play opens a young student explains how he has seen a large crack on a houe, just before it falls down. He rescues a child, who vanishes.
Then he is drawn into dream-like events at a mysterious house populated by a solipsistic family.
hmmm... i'm pretty sure it was a novel, not a play, but i will definitely take a close look at this because it does seem to have some familiar elements. thank you patricia !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #32
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I've been wondering whether this might be a play: Strindberg's "The Ghost Sonata".

As the play opens a young student explains how he has seen a large crack on a houe, just before it falls down. He rescues a child, who vanishes.
Then he is drawn into dream-like events at a mysterious house populated by a solipsistic family.
I kind of doubt that the book Zelda describes is Spökdansen (The Ghost Sonata). It's not really about what she describes
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

to be honest i'm beginning to believe that in an eery mirror of the theme of the alleged book, in fact i dreamed the whole thing and the book has never existed outside of my mind.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #34
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That wikipedia summary is very dull and doesn't really give the feel of the play. (It's La sonate des spectres in French.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #35
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
That wikipedia summary is very dull and doesn't really give the feel of the play. (It's La sonate des spectres in French.)
True, but I've seen the play performed at Royal Dramatic Theatre and it sure didn't ring a bell as for Zelda's description. That particular performance was directed by Ingemar Bergman btw
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #36
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
to be honest i'm beginning to believe that in an eery mirror of the theme of the alleged book, in fact i dreamed the whole thing and the book has never existed outside of my mind.
Always a problem when you combine long term reading with long term...er, living. Things get lost in mental storage and you fill it in with something else that seems like it fits.

Though it does sound like an interesting novel. Would be surprised if someone hadn't written it.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Things get lost in mental storage and you fill it in with something else that seems like it fits.
Sounds like someone has been reading Sherlock Holmes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Always a problem when you combine long term reading with long term...er, living. Things get lost in mental storage and you fill it in with something else that seems like it fits.
this does not bode well for my old age.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #39
stxopher
Nameless Being

Old age be cursed! I'm blaming mine on drug use. (RC cola and Moon Pies are drugs, aren't they? Ehhh, I'll say they are in my world.)

That said, now I can't get an old book out of my head (though I won't ask for help due to it's nature). All I can remember is the kids in the book got airplane suits that turned them into small jet powered planes. Now THAT is vague.

Sad part is I STILL have dreams about flying around in those when stress levels get to high. Amazing how something from when you were so young can stay with your half a century later. (The REALLY amazing part is I hate heights and flying both. I just like the idea of freedom that brings I suppose.)

Now if someone can tell me the name of that book, I would be surprised. Pleasantly but surprised.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Name that book?

Peter.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #41
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Peter.

(i thought your favorite name was vera ?)
Old 12-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #42
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Peter.
Peter is so... complex. Why not go with Bob?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #43
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Peter is so... complex. Why not go with Bob?
wow. you just never give up, do you ?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #44
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
So, I read this book once... There was this guy and he was hot for this woman... There was a car, too.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #45
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
So, I read this book once... There was this guy and he was hot for this woman... There was a car, too.

Lord of the Rings?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths