Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-28-2021, 04:08 PM   #1456
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Just a thought: Do you see any calibre-parallel.exe processes in the task manager? The last few lines makes me wonder if somehow a phantom worker got stuck and is not responding.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-28-2021 at 04:17 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #1457
Joliet Jake
Enthusiast
Joliet Jake doesn't litterJoliet Jake doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma
I didn't see that, but I didn't think about it at the time.

My VPN turned off for a few seconds, and (probably unrelated) the process started working again when I tested it. I guess the worker is "fragile".
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:45 AM   #1458
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
I've been using this plugin for a few months, and suddenly it failed.

Today I added the custom column "read" and started going through my library. At one point I encountered a book that still had DRM on it. (An Epub, in fact.) Afterward the plugin stopped working.

I restarted Calibre but the plugin still doesn't work. I'm not sure what I did wrong. (Calibre maintains previous counts, but will not add new ones.)

Also, does anyone know how to change column names? For some reason it says "words" when it means "pages".

Count Page/Word Statistics
do_count_statistics - book_path=C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_dcjnjy\7jz7ju_count_pa ges\530.epub, pages_algorithm=0, page_count_mode=Estimate, statistics_to_run=[u'PageCount'], custom_chars_per_page=1500, icu_wordcount=True
do_count_statistics - job started for file book_path=C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_dcjnjy\7jz7ju_count_pa ges\530.epub
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 530 (Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship With Money and Achieving Financial Independence: Fully Revised and Updated for 2018)
Method of counting _page_count_mode=Estimate _download_sources=[]
results= {}
do_statistics_for_book: C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_dcjnjy\7jz7ju_count_pa ges\530.epub 0 Estimate [] [u'PageCount'] 1500 True
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.jobs", line 155, in do_statistics_for_book
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 56, in get_page_count
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 95, in _open_epub_file
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 148, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 87, in run_extract_book
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 262, in fork_job
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 186, in run_job
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 123, in communicate
WorkerError: Worker failed

I am using Calibre 4.23.
That looks like a problem with the job communication. That frequently means that the antivirus/malware protection is blocking something. It can also mean that the temp folder was cleaned up by something, though I would expect a different error.

Is this happening for all books? Or just the original book that had DRM? If the latter, have you removed the DRM?
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:50 AM   #1459
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't see that, but I didn't think about it at the time.

My VPN turned off for a few seconds, and (probably unrelated) the process started working again when I tested it. I guess the worker is "fragile".
Didn't read to the end of the thread before replying.

But, that could explain it. The error was probably because something was blocking the worker processes from communicating. That would be a firewall or whatever you have for antivirus/malware protection. If that was screwed up, the VPN dropping out could have caused it to reload it's configuration or reset. It probably happened twice, once when the VPN dropped and then when it came up.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #1460
Joliet Jake
Enthusiast
Joliet Jake doesn't litterJoliet Jake doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That looks like a problem with the job communication. That frequently means that the antivirus/malware protection is blocking something. It can also mean that the temp folder was cleaned up by something, though I would expect a different error.

Is this happening for all books? Or just the original book that had DRM? If the latter, have you removed the DRM?
It was happening with all books after getting the first error message.

The VPN shouldn't interact with Calibre at all, however. Calibre doesn't interact with the internet except when updating metadata. I have an anti-virus that is more likely to interfere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Didn't read to the end of the thread before replying.

But, that could explain it. The error was probably because something was blocking the worker processes from communicating. That would be a firewall or whatever you have for antivirus/malware protection. If that was screwed up, the VPN dropping out could have caused it to reload it's configuration or reset. It probably happened twice, once when the VPN dropped and then when it came up.
The VPN was down for about a second, so it dropping didn't start the problem. (It seems impossible to have a VPN persist forever, unfortunately.)
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #1461
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It was happening with all books after getting the first error message.

The VPN shouldn't interact with Calibre at all, however. Calibre doesn't interact with the internet except when updating metadata. I have an anti-virus that is more likely to interfere.

The VPN was down for about a second, so it dropping didn't start the problem. (It seems impossible to have a VPN persist forever, unfortunately.)
I wasn't saying that calibre interacted with the VPN. I was saying that the antivirus interacted with the VPN and that affected calibre. But, it might be indirect interactions. The VPN dropping and coming up will change routing, clear arp caches and possibly other things. That was probably enough to fix the interprocess communications that calibre uses.

Tags
count pages, page count