Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Using Calibre and Dropbox for on the go library

Can someone point me in the right direction to find out how to do this please?

I have now got a Dropbox account and changed the database storage location in Calibre to Dropbox.

But how do I download books from Dropbox onto what will be my new Glo HD?

I will only use this method if I am away from my main PC and have to do a Factory Reset for the new Glo HD I will be getting as this hasn't got a separate SD card to store books on.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:56 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See my sig.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #3
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
See my sig.
I have found and already tried to follow the information in those links, blindly mostly.

Don't really understand what opds does though.

How long does generating catalogues normally take for about 160 books? (Been going for over 4 hours now without getting past the first step).

Then when all this is done, do you just use the Kobo web browser to go to the Dropbox website and download the books?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by Chocky; 05-03-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
opds -- used with varios apps that can see a feed containing the books and links. But calibre2opds can also generate an HTML catalog, which is something you'll need. Of course, you *could* just maneuver around the file tree in Dropbox, but that is no fun.

As for why it's taking so long, I don't know -- that is strange. Try asking on the calibre2opds support thread in the calibre ==> related tools subforum.

Once you have a catalog, you can put that in your Dropbox Public folder and browse to it from any web browser as an ad hoc website to download books from.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I have found and already tried to follow the information in those links, blindly mostly.

Don't really understand what opds does though.

How long does generating catalogues normally take for about 160 books? (Been going for over 4 hours now without getting past the first step).

Then when all this is done, do you just use the Kobo web browser to go to the Dropbox website and download the books?

Thanks,

Steve
Once you have an OPDS server available you could add it to the OPDS sites/servers Koreader lists in its menu. The Local calibre content server is one of the ones that are supplied with Koreader, along with "Project Gutenberg", "Feedbooks", "ManyBooks" and "Internet Archive". To add yours, just select "Add OPDS catalog" and enter a Catalog Name of your choice and the catalog URL. Then you will be able to select it from the list and access the catalog as you have defined it.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; I am not sure that Dropbox will let you serve your calibre library to a "Public" folder anymore.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-03-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
You don't need OPDS at all, you can use the browser to log into your dropbox acount and download books without setting up anything else. OPDS just gives you a nicer interface for browsing the books before downloading.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I believe best way to have your books live in the cloud is to buy a lowendbox and install COPS there.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
You don't need OPDS at all, you can use the browser to log into your dropbox acount and download books without setting up anything else. OPDS just gives you a nicer interface for browsing the books before downloading.
Considering I have read and re-read eschwartz's and Ken Maltby's posts, I still don't understand them

Just tried to see if I can just download a book from Dropbox webpage, and it seems I can.

As I will only use this if/when I have to do a factory reset when away from my PC and the new Glo HD not having an external SD card, I think I will take the simpletons route
Old 05-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Chocky
Addict

I've also got a Windows Tablet, so have now installed Calibre and Dropbox on that, so can load my eBook using Calibre when I am away by tethering it to my phone.

After all, it'll only be to get one or two books.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Way too long for 160 books. One possible issue is that Kobo ereaders don't handle ebooks with errors gracefully. You might want to try sending smaller batches and see if you can locate the problem books.

Alternatively, open your ebooks with Sigil and use it's builtin Flightcrew verification tool to verify the ebooks. Or epubcheck to do the same. My personal choice is to use Sigil to edit and verify and then use the downloaded version of epubcheck to do a second verification pass.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
His error is NOT with Kobo processing the content; it's happening when the catalogue is being created by calibre2opds.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote