Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Touch Firmware 2.1.5 - Thanks

Reading the forums recently the developers/programmers have come in for some flack. So to redress the balance slightly I would like to say thanks very much for the Touch Firmware 2.1.5.

For any e-book reader it is essential the basic works very well and then you can refine on top of this. Previous firmware release have mainly dissapointed as there have been flaws in basic functionality. With 2.1.5 I think we now have a version that is:

• Stable
  • The text is well centred on the page (i.e. top line is not too near the top of the screen)
  • No dead taps
  • No double page turns
  • Quick page turns and overall functionality
  • A range of good fonts that be adjusted to suit a wide variety of users needs

There are no doubt lots of other features users would like to see and some things that some users don't like the way in which Kobo has implemented them, but in terms of just working as an e-book reader I think we now have a very good version that can be built on. Within reason I am happy for Kobo to add on whatever changes/functionality in future builds as long as they maintain the core functionality listed above.

Last edited by roycymru; 10-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I agree it is good firmware. I think most of the flak has come about because of the upgrade problems, hold-ups, etc.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycymru View Post
With 2.1.5 I think we now have a version that is:
  • Stable
  • No dead taps
  • No double page turns
  • Quick page turns and overall functionality
Not in my experience. Random reboot upon opening sideloaded books on microSD cards (an issue others have had, but which I didn't have before 2.0.0 and 2.1.5 :/) is still with us.

Same problems with unresponsive taps followed by double page turns as before.

Page turns are only faster compared to 2.0.0. They are no faster than what I had under 1.9.14 - but to get it to that speed I had to knock the font sharpness and weight down to about 3/4ths of the default (the settings had gotten reset, for some reason, in the upgrade from 2.0.0).

Yes, it's overall a bit better than 2.0.0, but that's not saying much...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Let me add to the praise. THANK YOU!

I've had my pre-owned, low mileage, apparently cherry Kobo Touch just under a month now, and experienced firmware from 1.9.?(came with) to 2.0.0(1st upgrade with a couple weeks on this) then 2.1.4 with no functional complaints(haven't needed an SDHC yet) and now 2.1.5! You dotted your I's and crossed your t's and it seems hit the mark.

Now for the real praise. I have a 7" android tablet with a nice screen and several reading apps, a 10" android tablet, and two Nook Simple Touch readers(one rebuilt from scrapped units) and with the exception of a page or two when I was only carrying the 10" tablet on business I have done every bit of my ebook reading since it arrived on the Kobo Touch no matter which firmware it was running! It's a nice clean functionally designed compact unit that surpasses expectations on a daily basis. THANK YOU!

Now, how about allowing me to remap the grayscale values on the browser so it renders a bit darker? Maybe by dragging up and down on a hidden slider off to one side of the browser screen in real time? Or perhaps give us a black and white option in the browser. It's not something one needs often, but it would help logging into WiFi that requires it.

Last edited by TechniSol; 10-19-2012 at 10:55 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Not in my experience. Random reboot upon opening sideloaded books on microSD cards (an issue others have had, but which I didn't have before 2.0.0 and 2.1.5 :/) is still with us.
Does this occur for every book from the SD Card? What if you put the book in the main memory instead? Or, did it occur after changing the SD card?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I amount to the praise I'm happy with my Glo so far (no more reboot for me with 2.1.5, though all my side-loaded ebooks are on my sd card) just some dead taps (not a lot) and no double page turning.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
I do have a probblem with this firmware :

The chapter markers (little vertical bars) on the bottom status bar are gone.

This is a real pity, as I can no longer see how far I am to the end of the current chapter.
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does this occur for every book from the SD Card? What if you put the book in the main memory instead? Or, did it occur after changing the SD card?
It's random. Can't predict, can't force, can't test in any way other than continuing as normal. Happened twice, different sideloads. MicroSD was removed during the update. Main memory is not a valid option, given how many times it's had to be factory reset - and the main memory's been wiped once before during firmware updates. :/
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
It's random. Can't predict, can't force, can't test in any way other than continuing as normal. Happened twice, different sideloads. MicroSD was removed during the update. Main memory is not a valid option, given how many times it's had to be factory reset - and the main memory's been wiped once before during firmware updates. :/
The question about the book being in main memory was in case it was a problem with the book rather than the card. I'm not expecting you to only run from the main memory, I just want to eliminate a possibility. But as it has been different books, it probably isn't a book issue.

The times it has happened has been when opening a book? Is there a chance it was the first time you opened that book after inserting the card? What type of book? Epub, PDF? DRM or non-DRM?

As an aside and not meant as a criticism; I don't understand the need to keep the books on the micro SD card. I only use mine for testing purposes (calibre and the firmware). I've done many factory resets and never lost a book. The kepubs get put back on by a sync and I just resend the epubs from calibre. The Touch doesn't store any extra information about the books on the SD card, so it can't restore your reading position and bookmarks.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Touch doesn't store any extra information about the books on the SD card, so it can't restore your reading position and bookmarks.
I think that it should. There should be a database on each SD card, so that you can put SD cards in and out and they handle themselves, and don't mess with the onboard database. This also goes for the image directories, etc.

This would also ensure that the images from the 10,000 books on the SD card don't completely consume the onboard memory partition.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
I'm another reader who is perfectly happy with 2.1.5.

The clock is back with just one tap to the centre of the screen!! (happpyhappyjoyjoy)
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
2.1.5 is a definite improvement but Kobo really needs to do something about firmware development. They risk permanently damaging their brand if they continue to operate in this incompetent manner. I like the device and Kobo's store but the firmware situation over the last 2 months has been a farce. They clearly do not do enough testing (or did not) as they should not be releasing firmware which has adverse affects on performance or serious bugs.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Let me add to the praise. THANK YOU!
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I think that it should. There should be a database on each SD card, so that you can put SD cards in and out and they handle themselves, and don't mess with the onboard database. This also goes for the image directories, etc.

This would also ensure that the images from the 10,000 books on the SD card don't completely consume the onboard memory partition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magphil View Post
The chapter markers (little vertical bars) on the bottom status bar are gone.

This is a real pity, as I can no longer see how far I am to the end of the current chapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
The clock is back with just one tap to the centre of the screen!! (happpyhappyjoyjoy)

I agree with all of these.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
Looking forward to it... my device won't update beyond 2.1.4 just yet.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
Looking forward to it... my device won't update beyond 2.1.4 just yet.
Go into your settings/device info and you'll probably discover that you are indeed on 2.1.5. As mentioned in a number of other places since the core functionality of the update didn't change, Kobo doesn't always change the title at the top of the Firmware Update notes.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote