Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #361
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The lead time right now for a selection is simply not enough to get it from many libraries, especially if it's a fairly current book (like this month's nominated Hidden Figures). So increasing the lead time would be a positive step. Because it's certainly true that some of us aren't willing to spend a lot of money on a book we don't particularly want to read.

I think a poll on what we're willing to spend would be useful. Not that all books would have to fit in that limit, but it would help all of us understand where it becomes an issue.

Along with that, I'd like to see us try to make the costs clear. I'd be personally willing to go do the basic research to post prices for North America (USD) and the UK (£) of the books that have been fully nominated if the nominator hasn't already done so.

We already post page numbers, and that helps immensely.

I do agree that all of us benefit from having books selected that will be discussed. Even those not involved in the discussion have a vested interest in there being a good discussion, I would think.

Another useful thing, at least for me, is to have the nominator actively involved in the "pre-discussion" -- motivating or justifying their choice and why it would make a good book for us to read and discuss.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #362
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Personally, I think discussions should start when the book has been chosen.
People should be allowed to participate when ready. There has been a time or two when I've actually read the book, but by the time the discussion comes around I've moved on.

I would also suggest using the vote thread as the discussion thread; that could help lessen the workload. We can ask participants to either hide spoilers or keep the discussion spoiler free until the 20th.

For lead time concerns we should vote a month ahead (i.e. vote for August's pick in the beginning of July).

So July 1st - Vote for August pick, start reading and open spoiler-free discussions for July's pick.

July 20th - Open and/or allow spoilers for more in-depth discussion. Start nomination process for September.

August 1st- Vote for September pick, etc. etc.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #363
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Yes, it would be helpful if the book was chosen at least one month ahead, both for getting it and reading it.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:43 AM   #364
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I think to make that extra month useful we probably shouldn't start the discussion on the 1st; if we do it means there is only 10 days extra instead of 30ish.

It means that the fast readers will need to hold off a little more than they do currently. Not really different than now though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #365
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

It means that the fast readers will need to hold off a little more than they do currently. Not really different than now though.
No, it doesn't. They'll be able to get their thoughts out instead of waiting for the 20th. They'll be asked, however, to hide spoilers (which is done with the touch of a button) if posting before the 20th.
Advert
Old 07-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #366
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
No, it doesn't. They'll be able to get their thoughts out instead of waiting for the 20th. They'll be asked, however, to hide spoilers (which is done with the touch of a button) if posting before the 20th.
You don't have to hide spoilers in the discussion thread. This is why we have a separate discussion thread instead of using the existing voting thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #367
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't have to hide spoilers in the discussion thread. This is why we have a separate discussion thread instead of using the existing voting thread.
Please read what I said. Since we usually start discussions on the 20th, I am asking that we start them earlier for those who finish the book earlier, with the request that spoilers be hidden until the 20th.

Or we can keep doing what we are doing, and keep getting what we've gotten.
I thought the whole point of this thread was to make suggestions for improved participation in the discussions. My bad.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #368
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please read what I said. Since we usually start discussions on the 20th, I am asking that we start them earlier for those who finish the book earlier, with the request that spoilers be hidden until the 20th.

I thought the whole point of this thread was to make suggestions for improved participation in the discussions. My bad.
Since the discussion would be in its own thread. Those that have not yet finished the book can just not read the thread until they have. It's that simple.

I do want to change things to give us more time to get the book and then more time to read the book. I just don't see the need for spoiler codes when the discussion thread can just be ignored until the book is finished.

And one more thing, I do think the discussion thread should be started once the vote is over so those that finish early can put down their thoughts while the thoughts are fresh.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-01-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:17 AM   #369
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

As long as we keep the discussion in a separate thread, I think we're OK. I agree we need to start reading earlier, and that starting the discussion earlier would be good for those who've either read the book recently, or read fast.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:58 AM   #370
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I would also suggest using the vote thread as the discussion thread; that could help lessen the workload. We can ask participants to either hide spoilers or keep the discussion spoiler free until the 20th.
I disagree. A separate thread is going to work better and there's also no need for a spoiler tag. And the discussion thread should be created after the vote is over.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #371
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I disagree. A separate thread is going to work better and there's also no need for a spoiler tag. And the discussion thread should be created after the vote is over.
I agree with this. Spoiler tags get annoying and I don't really see the point. Stay out of the thread until you've read the book, or read enough of the book; perhaps the voting thread could function for those who might have a question and don't want to be spoiled?

A little courtesy and common sense should cover most situations; e.g., don't post "Rosebud is a sled" as the first post.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #372
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Are there any objections to creating the discussion thread immediately following the vote?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #373
CRussel
(he/him/his)

None here. And it has the virtual of simplicity on your end.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #374
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Are there any objections to creating the discussion thread immediately following the vote?
I have no objections and I don't think anyone else would either. It just means stay out of the thread if you don't want to be spoiled until you've either read enough or finished.#

So what do you think of the month ahead for the nominating/voting/reading?
Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #375
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm on board.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote