Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-28-2020, 05:54 AM   #1
LittleMissS
Enthusiast
LittleMissS began at the beginning.

Device: none
Missing or moved Validation button

It is March 2020. I am using a reasonably up to date version of Sigil but cannot see where to find out what version it is.

It took me about 20 mins to scroll down to select all the bad code, so I don't want to close it to see if I can find out,as I don't know if I will mess us what I have done if I close without validating. (I downloaded it in the last few months).

An old version has the green tick validation button. However, this version doesn’t (at least for me).

When I go to Tools to find ‘Tools > Validate EPUB with Flightcrew’

(as here https://guides.vpl.ca/c.php?g=702449&p=5000992 it only has ‘ Validate stylesheets with W3C ‘ ----- and not ‘EPUB with Flightcrew ’).

1) Question - Must I validate for the Word doc to be turned into a ePub?

2) How do I validate, if so?
LittleMissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissS View Post
I am using a reasonably up to date version of Sigil
I now see it s version 0.9.14 It may not be recent; I don't know. Anyway, I don't have thee validation button, like I used to in a version I used a year ago.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
When I go to Tools to find ‘Tools > Validate EPUB with FlightCrew’
Flightcrew has been converted to a plugin:

1. Download it from the official Sigil website. (Don't unzip the file.)
2. Select Plugins > Manage Plugins > Add plugin.
3. To run Flightcrew select Plugins > Validation > FlightCrew.

Quote:
1) Question - Must I validate for the Word doc to be turned into a ePub?
No, but you might want to use styles for best results.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Deleted by LittleMissS as I suddenly say FlightCrew_v0.9.2win.zip
link, which I assume is the version I need for windows 64 bit

Last edited by LittleMissS; 03-28-2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: No longer need the answer
Old 03-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Flightcrew has been converted to a plugin:

I use Windows 64 bit, so have downloaded FlightCrew_v0.9.2win.zip

However, I cannot see anything about plugins (let alone, Manaage plugins and Add plugins). I do not know how to open the download without it bringing up a a ox for me to unzip it. (which you said not to do).
How do I open and use without unzipping? Thankfully I don't have a current free unzipper, so it hasn't unzipped automatically.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest installing Doitsu's epubcheck plugin so you can use epubcheck to valid your eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However, I cannot see anything about plugins (let alone, Manaage plugins and Add plugins)
Sigil 9.1.4 does have a Plugins menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plugins.png
Views:	171
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	177982  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest installing Doitsu's epubcheck plugin so you can use epubcheck to valid your eBooks.
Is that Flightcrew that Doitsu recommended in my other post?

Or do you mean he has his own plugin (not flightcrew) and I should get that?

If Flightcrew, Then I have downloaded it but cannot follow all his/her suggested steps (as follows). because I don't see anywhere where it says Plugin now I have downloaded it, I do not know how to open the download without it bringing up a box for me to unzip it. (which Doitsu said not to do).

How do I open and use Flightcrew without unzipping? Thankfully I don't have a current free unzipper, so it hasn't unzipped automatically.

Doitsu's instructions for Flightcrew-

Old 03-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jon. Would you please stop interfering? Your advice has absolutely no bearing on installing FlightCrew (nobody cares that you prefer EpubCheck), and it makes even less sense when it's clear that the OP is having difficulty installing plugins of any kind. Please answer the questions that are asked, or stay out of it. You're only contributing to the confusion, and I'm tired of it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-28-2020 at 10:24 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Then I have downloaded it but cannot follow all his/her suggested steps (as follows). because I don't see anywhere where it says Plugin now I have downloaded it[...]
Have you looked at the screen capture attached to my previous post?
Old 03-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #11
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Have you looked at the screen capture attached to my previous post?
I didn’t see the screen capture until now. Now. I have now done
It said No problems found!
My internet is intermittent today and it, and my laptop is tediously slow. It took me over 20 minutes (instead of a few seconds) just to select (screen amount by screen amount of code to delete when trying to clean up Word to prepare to make into an epub! That, is an improvement on not even being able to select any code when I tried a few weeks ago!

I am also not able to find my screen captures. I have come near to smashing my laptop!
Old 03-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

I restated my laptop and when I reopened Sigil I got the message
'Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: Section0001.xhtml'

No idea what that means or if it relate to the problems I am having!

Tags
validation, validation button missing