Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
plxadh
plxadh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader for academics?

Hi, new here and need advice. I am looking to get an ereader that I will use mostly for reading scientific papers (i.e. pdfs). It must be able to upload from PC and have a hierarchical file system (with many layers).

Ideal spec includes:
- downloading from password protected sites
- coping with enhanced pdf
- eInk

Thanks in advance for any advice.
plxadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A question that's very often asked, and I'm afraid the honest answer is that this is something that eInk devices are just not terribly good at. PDFs take a lot of processing power to render, and eInk devices have very slow CPUs and really aren't up to the job of rendering complex PDFs. Most people (myself included) will recommend an iPad or equivalent Android tablet to you for this purpose. For me, an iPad with the "GoodReader" App is hard to beat.

If you absolutely must have an eInk device you need one with a 9.7" screen. The Onyx M92 is probably the best.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You want a full sized tablet. You're not going to get much luck with eInk. They all see PDFs as images pretty much.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I do okay reading pdfs on a rooted Nook STR using Orion Viewer. But not everyone has the know-how to root an e-reader and install apps on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A question that's very often asked
Indeed...

google site:www.mobileread.com/forums/ e-reader academic pdf
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
As a person that asked the same question way back, I now heavily lean towards actually getting a tablet.

Maybe its time to turn this subject into a sticky, with some proper information about readers, associated citation software, screenshots... volunteers?

*whistles and walks away*
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Just echoing what the others are saying. I'm a researcher and initially tried e-ink devices when I wanted to go digital with all my research literature, but e-ink simply isn't designed to support serious research literature management. I use an iPad, with the help of the apps GoodReader, iAnnotate and Bookends (the latter syncs to my mac research library, but you could also use e.g. Papers or EndNote if you are using Windows). A lot of academic publishing houses also have separate apps that you can install on a tablet.

Here's one of my previous (longish, rant like) posts on e-ink versus tablets for academic work:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23#post2237323

Last edited by jojoba; 08-22-2013 at 02:23 PM.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I've gone with a Nexus 10 for reading academic pdf's and it seems to be working out well. AFAIK either that or an iPad would be the best game in town at the moment for this purpose.

I did think about a Galaxy Note because the stylus capability would be nice for annotations, but the screen resolution is way too low for scientific pdf's. On the Nexus 10 I can easily read full pages displayed in portrait mode without eyestrain.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey wayrad, would it be much to ask for a picture of your nexus with an unzoomed PDF?
I have been raiding local stores and downloading PDFs to check on Samsung Tab and Note. Was starting to think that even with a higher resolution one might need landscape mode and panning to read PDFs...
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You certainly don't on an iPad 3 or later. Unzoomed A4/Letter PDFs display absolutely fine.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You certainly don't on an iPad 3 or later. Unzoomed A4/Letter PDFs display absolutely fine.
This is my experience, too.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismire View Post
Hey wayrad, would it be much to ask for a picture of your nexus with an unzoomed PDF?
I have been raiding local stores and downloading PDFs to check on Samsung Tab and Note. Was starting to think that even with a higher resolution one might need landscape mode and panning to read PDFs...
OK, I'll try. I just managed to take a screenshot in Ebookdroid - let's see if I can get a thumbnail to appear:

It looks lousy on my monitor, which is a much lower resolution than the tablet is, but if you zoom in (there's a zoom thingie on the lower right corner of the image) you can see how high resolution it really is. The automatic crop is on but there is no other tweaking. The actual size of the image on the Nexus is 5 1/4 X 8", excluding the navigation and menu bars. It looks very sharp and clear.

P.S. I tried a photo with my phone also, but couldn't get it to look decent.

Last edited by wayrad; 08-23-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Here's a picture of my iPad displaying an uncropped, unzoomed, page of a US-letter format PDF. As you can see, the aspect ratio of the iPad is pretty much a perfect match for such documents.

EDIT: It's not a very good photograph, I'm afraid. Poor lighting (the iPad bezel is actually white ). It's a lot clearer in reality than it looks in the photo, but hopefully the photo at least shows that it is easily readable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad PDF.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	109834  

Last edited by HarryT; 08-23-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.

Thank both of you very much, this is very helpful.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You're very welcome.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
wayrad
Fanatic

Glad I could help!