Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #31
Wearever
Guru
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Except, the fine print also says that the KU offer has to be redeemed by january 31st, 2019. My current plan does not roll over until february. I just confirmed with CS, and no, I cannot use the KU offer then before it expires since I already have a new prepaid plan lined up.

While in chat I also asked and got told that the front of the screen is glass like the Voyage and Oasis.
Yay ! Thanks for asking CS about the screen ! The Paperwhite 4 looks more like a Voyage replacement now !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #32
Wearever
Guru
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Double post deleted .

Last edited by Wearever; 10-29-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Advert
Old 10-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #33
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I dunno. The way I understand this is you can redeem it and the 6 months just gets banked in your account. I guess we'll know for sure if Amazon sends you the code and allows you to redeem it.
They will send me the code. But it will expire before I can use it. The payments that are suspended for 6 months in the fine print refer to automatic payment month to month. That is why it says that after the 6 months automatic payments will continue unless you cancel automatic payment.

In my case it will be until february that it will say that automatic payments are starting again in 2020. There is only one slot for a banked prepaid plan which is currently occupied by a new 12 month prepaid plan, a different one than the one I am currently on. See screenshot of my KU page. It is Amazon's mechanism to prevent buying multiple 6, 12, or 24 month prepaid memberships at discount (e.g. on black friday or prime day).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KU.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	167300  
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #34
Paperbackstash
Groupie
Paperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: PW4 (Inis Odyssey) PW 3 (Moonsliver), Fire HD 2ndG (Nostromo)
Good news about the glass, I keep seeing so many conflicting statements and hardly any review site mentions it, with most leaving it out completely.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:24 PM   #35
Wearever
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Good news about the glass, I keep seeing so many conflicting statements and hardly any review site mentions it, with most leaving it out completely.
I wonder why too ? I hope it does. The Paperwhite did get the same 300 ppi screen as the Voyage and Oasis. So adding the same glass screen they have will be a nice improvement. If they added any kind of buttons I would have pre ordered in a heartbeat ! Although I am getting one for my husband in a couple months. He's ok without buttons.
Advert
Old 10-31-2018, 05:48 PM   #36
Paperbackstash
Groupie
Paperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I wonder why too ? I hope it does. The Paperwhite did get the same 300 ppi screen as the Voyage and Oasis. So adding the same glass screen they have will be a nice improvement. If they added any kind of buttons I would have pre ordered in a heartbeat ! Although I am getting one for my husband in a couple months. He's ok without buttons.
I don't know, it doesn't make sense. I think that's why so many assumed about no change, but based on different articles, not sure what to think. Most of the early reviews that are actual reviews are very vague other than just listing the stats. I'm guessing Amazon didn't really bother with early copies for reviewers?
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 AM   #37
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I'm guessing Amazon didn't really bother with early copies for reviewers?
If Amazon (very likely) sent out review units, the posting of any review would be embargoed until a certain date, probably release date. Maybe even saying that they received a review unit is not allowed. We will see next week.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #38
Pjama
Addict
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gold Kindle Oasis 2, iPad, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If Amazon (very likely) sent out review units, the posting of any review would be embargoed until a certain date, probably release date. Maybe even saying that they received a review unit is not allowed. We will see next week.
None of the 'reviews' of the Kobo Forma which were posted prior to the release date picked up the screen line issue or flickering light issue. I wouldn’t trust any review written before release date.

I trust feedback on this site 1000 times more than any review. Most reviews seem to just list off the specs (when we can all read the product description for ourselves) then run through the UI (which is usually identical to the previous iteration). They never seem to mention contrast, screen quality, darkness of font, actual (not quoted) battery life - the things I am really interested in.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #39
Wearever
Guru

True on the reviews, I wonder if they even test anything for more than 30 seconds. Just see if it works then on to the next. I trust only what people say here too. If they say they have a problem then I believe them. Like mentioning battery life. Or screen issues no matter which device they use.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #40
Paperbackstash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
None of the 'reviews' of the Kobo Forma which were posted prior to the release date picked up the screen line issue or flickering light issue. I wouldn’t trust any review written before release date.

I trust feedback on this site 1000 times more than any review. Most reviews seem to just list off the specs (when we can all read the product description for ourselves) then run through the UI (which is usually identical to the previous iteration). They never seem to mention contrast, screen quality, darkness of font, actual (not quoted) battery life - the things I am really interested in.
You have a good point. I'm not against pre-release reviews for books (I read and review some ARCs myself), but with these devices it seems like almost every website is paid off, before and after release. The reviews are almost always so overwhelmingly positive.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #41
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2, Kobo Mini
I love reading the threads where people have pre-ordered ereaders and then post their first experiences of them when they arrive, but I'd never pre-order a new ereader, because you are so right Pjama about the 'professional' pre-release reviews.

I wait to read all the user reviews on this forum, then weigh up the pros and cons before choosing what to buy. It's only then you get to hear about the real issues, and details that are actually useful to know.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #42
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a PW1 and a PW3 and a Voyage and I read with all of them. I don't find the screen on the PW1 to be noticeably worse than the newer ones. I realize it's resolution is lower but I can't really tell it.

On the other hand the newer ones are a little faster. I don't notice that while reading but it's fairly obvious when navigating.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #43
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm really looking forward to seeing review of the Paperwhite 4. I'm returning my recently purchased Kobo Clara on friday and may purchase the PW 4 if the reviews are positive.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #44
abdirahim
abdirahim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Yes, I don't know why the buttons seemed to have become outdated (but may be making a come back.) I had an old Sony that had buttons and also a touch screen. It was so nice to have the choice and turn pages in a way that suited my current mood!
abdirahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #45
Wearever
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdirahim View Post
Yes, I don't know why the buttons seemed to have become outdated (but may be making a come back.) I had an old Sony that had buttons and also a touch screen. It was so nice to have the choice and turn pages in a way that suited my current mood!

I'm glad they have them now too. I don't think I can get used to not having them again.